Exercise And Diet

VegesaurusRex
VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
edited October 7 in Social Groups
I think we have some expertise in this group about this topic. My personal belief is that anyone who wants to be or get in shape must do some exercise each day, i.e., must sweat at least once a day. I personally go to the gym 5 days a week, and have a life cycle at home for cold weekends. Of course, during Spring Fall and Summer, bicycling is possible. Up until two years ago, I would ski, but Osteoarthritis (undiagnosed) made that difficult and dangerous. Still, I would like to figure out a way to pick up the skiing and (during the warmer days) running again. Any suggestions?

At the gym, I do the Lifecycle, Elipticals, Rowing Machine, free weights, and "the circuit." The circuit is a series of eight machines each emphasizing muscle building in different muscle groups. (3 reps of 12 reps each machine.) The Circuit three times per week. This is an hour to an hour and a half each day. Of course there are also opportunities for ad hoc exercise (hikes, pick up games, etc.). I got my black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate a few years ago, but my Sifu, has since moved out of state, so that is really no longer a good possibility for exercise. I have thought about, but never joined another group.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows a lot about exercising. I am 68, in great health.

P.S., I also have my own business and work full time, so the time I have available for exercise is limited.

Replies

• AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    P90X has a series of dvds you can workout at home, I believe they also have a Kempo dvd - something you can look into. Beachbody.com sells them. My husband did the series and gained about 15lbs of muscle doing it.
  • P90X has a series of dvds you can workout at home, I believe they also have a Kempo dvd - something you can look into. Beachbody.com sells them. My husband did the series and gained about 15lbs of muscle doing it.

Not meaning to sound stupid, but what is P90X?
  • AnarchoGen
    It's a 90 day home fitness program if you go to www.beachbody.com they have that among many other home fitness programs to choose from. I'm not a "beachbody coach" I don't work for anyone, or sell anything but since you brought up kempo I think they have a dvd for that.
    Here's kind of a corny infomercial about it (it's about a minute long)
    http://www.youtube.com/OIyjnyHj1mk

Edited to add: When my husband ordered it, not sure what it all entailed, but I'm assuming that he ordered the kit that came with a pull up bar, resistance bands and then a series of dvds. I just saw a knock-off of P90X at Walmart (evil place) but I'm not sure how effective it is. If price is an issue this was definitely cheaper that what beachbody sells P90X for.
  • AnarchoGen
    Another good resource is www.bodybuilding.com - it is kinda like MFP but it doesn't track your food goals, only your body building goals. There are a ton of great articles & I have learned so much the 6 months I've been on there. It's free, you don't really need to sign up unless you plan on watching your progress with your gym exercising. They have a lot of different calculators too

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmainnut.htm?sel=nutrition-tools-and-calculators

www.veganbodybuilding.com is also a good place
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Exercise is something I try to do every day - Not just formal exercise (gym workouts) but moving around in general. There's not a a single day that goes by that I don't get out and at least walk (unless I am laid up ill).

I also go to the gym... a few times a week - it varies. I prefer running outside for cardio but winter forces me in. I do the machines there too and free weights @ home.

As far as skiing... If you can't downhill ski anymore - try cross country. I've been waiting for snow here to break in my new cross country skis and boots. I think that'd be easier on the joints than high impact running. I'm waiting for a big drop of snow before getting on my snowboard again. I injured myself pretty badly last year in icy/hard conditions so I'm leery until there's some nice powder.

Ice skating - can be done at any age and works different muscles - and it's fun (for me anyway). Been skating since I was a kid. Luckily there are cheap places to skate by me - and outdoors which I prefer. If there's room to get your speed up, it's a great workout.

Cross country is a lot of work and I don't really Telemark. I suppose I could learn. I have snowshoes, but so far this year, we've had about 2 inches of snow. I have old cross country skies, but don't remember the wax routine. If I were to buy some new skies (I hear there are good waxless ones) do you have any advice there? I used to know what I was doing with Cross Country Skies, but don't any more.
  • Exercise is something I try to do every day - Not just formal exercise (gym workouts) but moving around in general. There's not a a single day that goes by that I don't get out and at least walk (unless I am laid up ill).

I also go to the gym... a few times a week - it varies. I prefer running outside for cardio but winter forces me in. I do the machines there too and free weights @ home.

As far as skiing... If you can't downhill ski anymore - try cross country. I've been waiting for snow here to break in my new cross country skis and boots. I think that'd be easier on the joints than high impact running. I'm waiting for a big drop of snow before getting on my snowboard again. I injured myself pretty badly last year in icy/hard conditions so I'm leery until there's some nice powder.

Ice skating - can be done at any age and works different muscles - and it's fun (for me anyway). Been skating since I was a kid. Luckily there are cheap places to skate by me - and outdoors which I prefer. If there's room to get your speed up, it's a great workout.

Cross country is a lot of work and I don't really Telemark. I suppose I could learn. I have snowshoes, but so far this year, we've had about 2 inches of snow. I have old cross country skies, but don't remember the wax routine. If I were to buy some new skies (I hear there are good waxless ones) do you have any advice there? I used to know what I was doing with Cross Country Skies, but don't any more.

How did I post under your name!? Good grief ! I didn't mean to do that. Sorry. I just meant to post the last paragraph.
  • KimmieBrie

How did I post under your name!? Good grief ! I didn't mean to do that. Sorry. I just meant to post the last paragraph.

When we got ours they said you still have to wax - just the tip and end. The middle have this "scale like" surface that grabs. We got the back country type so we can go off trail through the woods, etc - they have metal sides and are wider than traditional so it's easier to go wherever you want and don't have to stick to cross country trails - making them something we will use more often. Most places won't let you ski in their cross country tracks with this type, but most places around here also have an area right next to them where any type of ski is allowed. My husband used to cross country every day with the dog instead of walking in the winter - not in those upkept tracks, but just through the woods. We're hoping for more snow!
  • When we got ours they said you still have to wax - just the tip and end. The middle have this "scale like" surface that grabs. We got the back country type so we can go off trail through the woods, etc - they have metal sides and are wider than traditional so it's easier to go wherever you want and don't have to stick to cross country trails - making them something we will use more often. Most places won't let you ski in their cross country tracks with this type, but most places around here also have an area right next to them where any type of ski is allowed. My husband used to cross country every day with the dog instead of walking in the winter - not in those upkept tracks, but just through the woods. We're hoping for more snow!

Interesting. Do you like any particular brands?
  • KimmieBrie
    When we got ours they said you still have to wax - just the tip and end. The middle have this "scale like" surface that grabs. We got the back country type so we can go off trail through the woods, etc - they have metal sides and are wider than traditional so it's easier to go wherever you want and don't have to stick to cross country trails - making them something we will use more often. Most places won't let you ski in their cross country tracks with this type, but most places around here also have an area right next to them where any type of ski is allowed. My husband used to cross country every day with the dog instead of walking in the winter - not in those upkept tracks, but just through the woods. We're hoping for more snow!

Interesting. Do you like any particular brands?

We ended up getting the Rossignol back country ones from LL Bean store - we went to several ski shops but what they
    had was very limited and some didn't have the one's with the metal edges at all.... This was one purchase I didn't want to make online. I'm hoping next weekend to travel up north and finally try them out. I'm sure they'll be easier to stay in control off the tracks.
This discussion has been closed.