why not introduce ourselves?

Options
CnocNaCu
CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
I'm originall from Germany but living in Ireland's Wild West:wink: Donegal Bay. My hubby and I have 5 dogs, 4 cats, chickens, a garden, 2 polytunnels and our own forestry where we grow the timber for the heating. We love growing our own organic food and trying to be as self sufficient as possible.
I love baking and cooking as well as preserving food.
Last September I started my weight loss journey in order to avoid statins to lower my cholesterol. Since then I have lost just under 3 stone, quit smoking on 9th Nov and started running in December. I can't wait for the spring come.
Would love to join this group because:
I always love to try new recipes
I can give advice on how and what to grow in small spaces

Looking forward to hear more from you:flowerforyou:

Replies

• 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    Happy to meet anyone interested in moving towards better health!! I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota and have spend the last 30 years gardening with large gardens and also have done square foot gardening. I am very interested in self-sufficiency and have grown organically all of these years. I love preserving food and am trying to find out a recipe for making sour Kraut...is it still made in crocks? I have a feeling this will be an ongoing forum for information and friendships!!
  • goldenm
    goldenm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also would like to share recipes and gardening ideas, I live in California and grow lots of vegetables in the summer, I don't have much in the winter but would like to try more things. I love to cook, and make most things at home from scratch. I am an organic gardener, do my own composting. I have several citrus trees which are peaking right now.
    I have only been gardening for about 5 years, so have lots to learn.
  • lamaier52
    Options
    I very interested in some new recipes and I am looking for some help with new ideas. I work afternoons and still try to prepare meals for my family before going to work. Most times I am cooking on the fly and not even taking dinner for myself. We are looking for tasty, healthy dinners that even my picky teenagers will eat.
    I added one of my homemade enchilada's to my meal and the counter showed it at 680 calories. My husband said I was trying to kill him with the meal :) I just tried to calc everything out and I came up with much lower calories. Here is my recipe:

Carb smart flour tortillas
    Shredded chicken breast
    chopped green chiles
    fresh cilantro
    montery jack cheese
    fat free chicken gravy
    fat free milk.
    Add to the tortilla's, chicken, cilantro, chiles, sprinkle with finely shredded cheese (1% or weight watchers cheese works)
    roll up and place in pyrex dish. mix one small jar of chicken gravey with 2/3 c fat free milk, wisk together and poor over enchiladas. (this may not look so good going on but trust me it comes out yummy!)
    This would be the worst part...sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and back at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
    I'm looking forward to new ideas and help. Good luck to all. Lori Thanks for starting the group.
  • goldenm
    goldenm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you like Mexican food, here is one that my picky son likes and even my husband who is not so much of a vegetarian.

Vegetable enchilada casserole
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 onion, chopped
    3 qts. baby spinach
    1 cup frozen corn
    About 1 can (19 oz.) enchilada sauce
    9 all-corn tortillas, quartered
    1 cup rinsed pinto beans
    About 1 cup cooked rinsed black beans
    1 cup plus 2 tbsp. shredded Monterey jack cheese
    6 tablespoons chopped green onions

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring as needed, until almost completely wilted. Add corn and cook until hot. Set aside.
    2. Put 6 ovenproof baking dishes* (each about 12-oz. capacity) on a rimmed baking sheet. Working with one dish at a time, spoon in 2 tbsp. enchilada sauce. Top with 2 tortilla quarters, 2 rounded tbsp. each refried beans and black beans, 1 tbsp. cheese, and 2 more tortilla quarters, pushing tortillas down gently as you layer them over cheese and beans. Spoon in 1/3 cup (packed) vegetable mixture, then 2 more tortilla quarters, 3 tbsp. enchilada sauce, and 2 tbsp. cheese. Repeat layering with remaining dishes.
    3. Bake enchiladas until bubbling, cheese is melted, and tortillas are starting to brown on edges, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
    *Or use a 9- by 13-in. baking dish, spreading one-third of sauce over bottom; top with one-third of tortillas, the beans, one-third of cheese, one-third of tortillas, the vegetable mixture, remaining tortillas, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.

You can put it together earlier in the day and just bake it when you need it. I found it a good way to introduce more vegetables into my son's diet.
  • just4me119
    just4me119 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just made the BEST spinach lasagna rollups, they are so filling and you can eat TWO for approx. 400 Calories! I promise you, these are FANTASTIC....I should know, I am Italian. I will post the recipe soon, but I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.

My name is Heather, I have lived in Grand Rapids, MI my entire life. I have two young girls, Anna 3 and Ella 1. I have struggled with my weight ever since having my babies. I was very thin before getting pregnant with my daughter Anna, and took eating for two to a whole new level, gaining 60lbs by the end of my pregnancy!!! and gained 60lbs!!!! I was still trying to lose the baby weight from Anna, when I found out I was pregnant again. Although I only gained 27 with my daughter Ella, I still had a good 15lbs to lose when I became preggers again. I lost the 27 from Ella over the past year, but my body is just hanging on to that extra 15lbs. I have not always been a fan of cooking, but am trying to be more cognizant of what I feed my family. I look forward to sharing recipes with all of you. I will post the lasagna rolls tomorrow! Goodnight! ; )
  • greenpollywawg
    Options
    Nice to meet you all, I'm in Maine, USA. I am so happy to find a group like this as I have dabbled in composting, growing herbs, etc. and know I have alot to learn. I am very interested in being as self-sufficient and organic as possible. I would like more information on growing herbs and sprouts inside since I believe that's very nutritous. I look forward to learning from the rest of you, and sharing my recipes at times.
  • 2Big4MyBritches
    2Big4MyBritches Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mom to two boys (ages 4 & 6), one daughter (19), and four step-kids (18, 22, 23, 25) -- and a granddaughter on the way. I love to cook and bake, and am always looking for new ideas. I like to make a lot of things from scratch, but occasionally go for the quick and easy, too. I live in a very small community, and our yard is fairly small. . I have grown cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, carrots, radishes, onions and strawberries but I'd love to learn more about gardening (square foot, maybe?) and meals that can be made from the food that I grow. Would also like to learn how to can/freeze foods. The only thing I've ever done like that is strawberry freezer jam, but I can remember watching my grandmother 'jarring' everything under the sun, and would love for my pantry to be full of Ball and Mason jars like hers was. Especially all those pickles she had! I'm anxious to see more posts in this group!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut recipe
    yes, best container for Sauerkraut is a crock pot, a very big one. But you can also use big jars with lid.Pot or jar have to be absolutely clean!
    You need:
    cabbage (white), salt, a big plastic bowl (big enough for you to stand in :-)
    Cut the cabbage finely and put part of it into the large bowl. Add salt (30 grams to 4000gr of cabbage) and work the lot with your feet until liquid is almost covering the cabbage. Then you do the next layer until all cabbage is processed. Do it on a day when you are in very bad mood, you'll get rid of all anger and aggressions :-)
    You then fill the cabbage into a big crock pot or alternatively into big jars. The crock pot is better: sauerkraut in, something heavy on top of the cabbage (it has to be in this salty liquid), put the lid on and the pot then goes into a warm room for 2-3 weeks. After that you can store the pot with your sauerkraut in a colder place(cellar). Because it is fermented it keeps for months.
    The advantage of the crock pots: the ones for making sauerkraut come with a special weight to keep the sauerkraut "drowning", as we say. Before you put the lid on you add some water into the rim of the pot thus keeping any bacteria outside when the lid is on. But any gases from fermenting can find their way out.
    Seasoning: you don't need to season at all, but I like to add black pepper seeds and juniper berries. For those of you who don't like it that sour: add an apple, cut in small pieces while working the cabbage.
    If you have to use a jar: make sure you DO NOT close the jar too tightly with a twist lid. The process of fermenting could cause a major explosion in your kitchen. You don't want to have bits of glass flying around or even in your eye!
  • Vedran0621
    Options
    Hi all! I am currently in Des Moines, Iowa. I also enjoy growing my own veggies, when the weather allows for it. love to cook up any tasty concoction, whether it be mine or someone who has a few of their own. for some time I was exercising on a very regular basis, and dieted strict pescetarian, fish and veggies only, no eggs cheese, etc. Then I met my girlfriend, who was raw vegan at the time, now I eat just about anything and she has over time converted to strict pescetarian/vegan, and I barely work out anymore. As is love I suppose lol. Anyway trying to get back on track, and food is my weakness, so any healthy, delicious dishes that end up on here, I will def. try, and post a few of my own. cant wait for a tasty, low cal. dessert!!! Best of luck with everyone's weight/health goal!
  • 77Maria
    Options
    Thank you!! I will now begin looking for a very large crock and a huge bowl I can stand in :) I will let you know when I create Sauerkraut! Probably about a month from now! Again all my thanks!!
    :happy:
  • 77Maria
    Options
    So nice to meet you!! Wow I am so happy so many wanted to be a part of this group and to easily pickup new recipes! Welcome!
  • 77Maria
    Options
    Hi nice to meet you...I am up here in Minnesota so I know how difficult it can be to wait for spring for my Gardening...I do indoor herbs and I am trying dill inside this year...welcome!
  • 77Maria
    Options
    Growing herbs inside is very easy and all you need is a long container or several small containers, some soil and a semi sunny window or sliding glass door! The long containers are nice especially if they have an attached container underneath if you over water!
    For sprouts: Its worth it to go to your local Nursery or Menards, or Home Depot and ask for a seed growing kit. Worth the purchase because after the purchase you only buy your seeds for sprouting! Follow the easy instructions and keep them with your other instructional pamphlets!
    My favorites: Bean, Alfalfa and Broccoli sprouts which have a light peppery taste! Great in salads! Have fun and try different ones!
  • lotsofkisses
    Options
    I am from Wisconsin and enjoy cooking and am ALWAYS looking for new and fresh ideas!!!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am from Florida and I fail at growing anything :( However, I am always looking for recipes that I can make. I love to cook and would love to learn how to can and pickle.
  • nhlgeezer
    nhlgeezer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this whole eating healthy thing. I have a blog at www.whatiscookingnow.com so you can see how unhealthy I've been cooking. Since starting www.myroadtoweightloss.com I plan on featuring healthy meals that also taste good. I'm going to need some help! Any ideas are welcomed as it will be a hard road. I'm excited to get healthy and start feeling better too!
  • 77Maria
    Options
    Welcome and post as many recipes as you would like!! I am going to check out your blog too!!
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kandy from Indianapolis, IN. I grew up with mom gardening, composting, canning, etc. I love to cook from scratch and bake. I can't wait to see what wonderful recipes and tips everyone posts I've been married 28yrs next month and have two children Charlotte (26) and Allen (25) and a new grandson, Silas:)
  • macklo
    macklo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I am from a little Island in the Bay of Fundy called Deer Island.. it is in NB Canada I joined this feed to get some inspiration for recipes and to help keep me mpotivated ..
  • bookwormliam
    bookwormliam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm from upstate New York and love recipe sharing. Also, I've recently gotten into canning and am excited about the possibilities. Feel free to add me as a friend.