EASY! Whole Cranberry Sauce with Protein

Options
StrongGwen
StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
I am NOT a cook, so I have to do easy and fast. Had this at dinner last night:

First make Whole Cranberry Sauce: 1 bag of fresh or frozen whole cranberries, 1-2 cups of your favorite no-cal sweetener (I use Stevia), Optional: orange zest and Chia seeds. Bring 1.5 cups of water & sweetener to a boil, pour in the cranberries and bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and boil about 10 min or until thick enough to suit you. Stir in some orange zest if you like that added flavor. Set aside to cool thoroughly. while cooling, you may like to add 1/2 to 1 TBS Chia seeds (health food store) to thicken and add more texture.

In a bowl add 1 carton Chobani black cherry no-fat yogurt (or your favorite flavor), 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese (I use 2%), and 1/2 cup of the cranberry sauce from above. That's it--enjoy!!

Replies

• ccoff42
    Options
    What art chia seeds and what are they good for. I having been eating cottage cheese like this for the last few months, have not added the yoigurt, will try
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    got Chia seeds from reading an article by Tosca Reno in Oxygen mag--she's the author of the "Eating Clean" books. Chia seeds are an ancient food that the Aztecs used. they called it "running seeds" because it gave them energy. Full of powerful antioxidents and good for you. They are little tiny seeds, the same ones you may have seen in the Chia Pet planters. They have no taste, just texture. 1 TBS has 60 calories. Health food stores usually have them in 1lb bags. If you let them soak in water for 20 min they make a sort of seedy gel that is nice to thicken foods like this sauce, or you can even make a jelly with the gel and mashed up fruit.
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    Wow I never heard of them for cooking! I will look for them next time I head to the health food store!