Isn't it too thin...?

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
Ok, so I'm reading through some of the message boards and come across a topic called " 5'5" - what is your goal weight "

Oh... thats my height, I'll read on. So I open the topic and start reading what many women are posting as their Goal Weight. At 5ft 5in my Goal weight is about 150lbs. That is what I weighed in high school and except for being top heavy (well-endowed chest region) I think I was average size back then, size 12/14 I think.

My jaw drops when I see women posting 140..... 135..... 130..... 125.......... even 115lbs for goal weight at my height.

I'm flabbergasted. I'm thinking "I would look anorexic at 125". I mean.. am I really that far off base with my own Goal Weight?

I know, I've heard people say that everyone is different because our bodies differ slightly in build; wide/narrow hips, large and small breasts, shoulder width etc... I'm not "big boned" I dont think..

Just curious to hear what others might have to say about this but I dont want to post on general message boards.

Replies

• MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've run into the same thing at 5'10". Some people at 5'10 can weigh 140 and look "ideal" but I think it's more about the body fat % and how you carry it that determines what weight is right for you. I've actually weighed 140 at my height before, but I wasn't healthy. I think my body fat was closer to 9% and I was working out 6 hrs a day and eating almost nothing. That was high school, and 3 kids ago. I think my "ideal" is closer to 160-170 because my body carries a healthier bodyfat percentage at that weight... and I don't have to live an extreme lifestyle to maintain it. I say set a goal that is challenging and when you get closer to that number, re-evaluate
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and, honestly I love my body at about 200-180 lbs. I know it's overweight, but I remember being the happiest then and loving my body the most. Right now it's my goal weight. If I could get down to 170 I think my doctor would be happier, but I honestly can't think of anything below that.
  • LosingLadi
    LosingLadi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Sherri .. I'm 5'4 1/2" and I could never imagine myself weighing under 150 lbs.

And I also agree with DeltaGreen - I know that it's still considered "overweight" but not only am I comfortable with myself but I also absolutely love my body (and my curves!) when I am around 180 - 200 lbs!
    Not only that .. I'd have a lot of extra skin if I were to even think about getting down to anything under 150. =/
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I was really beginning to think I was a bit weird for thinking 150 would be good for me.

I do plan to re-evaluate things once I get into Onederland (under 200lbs), and then again at 175.

And yes.. I think about the problem with lose hanging skin - will I have lots of it or will it shrink after all this time and stretching so that I dont look nasty and have to consider surgery to remove it.

I dont know that the skin my my torso has any elasticity left, from pregnancy and so many years overweight, I'm afraid I wont be able to show off my body the way I would like to. Not that I would wear a bikini or anything, thats not my thing. But to wear slinky outfits for hubby and look sexy that is.
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about extra skin, make sure you're doing some toning exercises as well. It will help with the sagging skin problem. Not to say it's going to completely fix it, but it should help. And water. Skin cells LOVE water.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    If you're worried about extra skin, make sure you're doing some toning exercises as well. It will help with the sagging skin problem. Not to say it's going to completely fix it, but it should help. And water. Skin cells LOVE water.

Good idea, thanks for the advice!