Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
I've had this stupid video for at least 6 months, maybe more. I'm starting this tonight and wanted to know if anyone else had tried it or done a full month yet.

I hear this is a tough workout but I've gotta find more ways of incorporating workouts into my day since hubby doesnt want to go to the gym more than 3 or 4 days a week.

Anyone wanna give it a shot with me?

Replies

• sherrirb
    Options
    So I went ahead and did it tonight. Its a 20 min workout and although I couldnt do everything just as directed (hubby is asleep and I didnt want to wake him trying to do jumping jacks) it was a really good workout.

I can so see myself doing this every day, at least level one for a week or so before going to level 2. I'm trying not to shock my body too much from introducing too much activity to quickly.

This is definitely worth a few bucks on the purchase if you want something you can do at home.
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm interested but I need to go out and buy the video. How hard is the workout? You hv to do it every day?
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    For myself - I think I will wait to do the 30DS and P90X type stuff after I've dropped or at lease close to 100lbs. To tighten and tone.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    I'm interested but I need to go out and buy the video. How hard is the workout? You hv to do it every day?

It is a good workout but at my weight and physcial condition I didnt think it was too much to handle. By physical condition I mean I've only been working out for just over a week so I'm not like in peak physical condition or anything.

She breaks it up... REALLY breaks it up. There are 3 sections to the workout: 3 min Strength training, 2 min cardio and 1 min abs.
    You repeat this 6 min workout cycle 3 times in the 20 min workout so you arent doing like 10 min of crunches and then 15 min of running in place.
    During the first 3 min of strength you are doing 2 or 3 different exercises, then in cardio there are 2 different things and then 2 different things in abs. In the next 6 min segment you do completely different exercises in each section.
    Above all that there are 3 levels of workout. I started with Level 1 of course. Once I feel I've pushed myself to the highest intensity and could do more, I'll move on to Level 2 which will be a tougher workout.

You dont get bored and you dont get overworked. She says to push yourself if it seems to easy but dont go beyond what your body can handle to the point where you have to stop and cant continue.

I look forward to doing it again tonight if I can. Hubby and I wll go to the gym and I'll be running but I also want to do this too!
  • sherrirb
    Options
    For myself - I think I will wait to do the 30DS and P90X type stuff after I've dropped or at lease close to 100lbs. To tighten and tone.

When I first bought this video I set it aside because I was thinking the same thing. But not now. I want to burn fat and tone NOW! I want to tone and hope that my exercise will help my body form the shapely curves over time that I want.

If I waited til I lost 100lbs to do something like this, I'd be afraid of having no muscle definition and lots of lose saggy hanging skin from my weight loss.
    I want a toned body now. I want to see muscle grow as the fat fades. No, I'm not looking to be a body builder but I want curves! I want slight muscle definition so one can easily discern that I'm at my top physical condition without me having to flex to show off!

I'm not knocking your choice but keep in mind, this is not a workout video on the scale of P90X by ANY means. Its a tough workout designed to get your body moving and burn calories. P90X and Insanity are designed for body sculpting. I do hope that you are finding some kind of exercise routine that suits you now rather than waiting until the weight is gone.
  • kawanna941
    kawanna941 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have this DVD also. I've had it for about a year or so. I keep starting and stoping so tomorrow I will be doing it everyday for the 30 days. I still struggle to get through Workout 1 but I know it will get easier.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    I have this DVD also. I've had it for about a year or so. I keep starting and stoping so tomorrow I will be doing it everyday for the 30 days. I still struggle to get through Workout 1 but I know it will get easier.

Woohooo! Go YOU!
    I'll be rooting you on every day for the month! You CAN do it. Its tough at first, you know since you've started it before but stick with it!
    I'll be doing it tonight after we get back from running.

Good luck!!!!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am nervous about trying any workout videos because I have bad knees, a bad shoulder and a borderline back. Mostly I just walk. However, I have Netflix... and they have a bunch of exercise videos on there. I found a pick your own level Pilates I can sort of do, and there are dancing and boot camp videos too. The best part is that if you have Netflix they are FREE.

I figure I want to incorporate more vigorous exercise once I have reached my first big plateau. In the meantime, walking will have to do it. In the spring, I have two big huskies that will enjoy getting walkies again!
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This dvd is EVERYWHERE on this site so I picked up a copy today. $10 bucks, why not? I don't think I'll be able to start it until next week. We'll see how it goes!!
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My copy will arrive in the mail in the next few days. Can't wait to check it out.
  • kawanna941
    Options
    Im STILL struggling to get this in everyday...ill keep trying
  • sherrirb
    Options
    I'm going to restart this weekend and try to stay consistent with doing it every day. I hope to be able to pick up some weights or weighted "boxing" type gloves too.
  • llana002
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for the past week and I love it! But I also feel like I need to mix it up as well. I've been reading a lot about 30DS on MFP and today a co-worker said she would lend it to me to try! I'm so excited! I feel like I'm cheating on Zumba lol so I hope this is worth it!

Also I'm doing the Lose 10lbs in February Challenge tomorrow so this will be perfect!
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So I think today I'm going to start the 30 day shred. We'll see how this goes!!
  • sherrirb
    Options
    I keep putting off my own restart of this program.... ugh!
  • kawanna941
    Options
    I keep putting off my own restart of this program.... ugh!

ME TOO! LOL
  • lcglog
    lcglog Posts: 24
    Options
    The 30DS totally kicked my butt. I got her Beginners DVDs at Walmart for less than $10, it has 2 workouts - arms and abs and legs. Same type of thing as the 30DS but she shows you ways to modify while you are getting there. My plan is to mix that in with my pilates, zumba, power walk, elliptical and spring is coming so time to make sure there is air in the tires and clean the cobwebs off my bike.

In the beginner video she mentioned that you have to do the most you can today and you will get better everyday, trying to keep that in mind to keep me motivated. The beginner video did leave me sore, I guess no pain no gain.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So I'm four days late to this but meh.

It's encouraging to see people that have a lot to lose doing this, I see it mentioned all over the place but I've also seen people say that it isn't well suited for people just starting out. Perhaps I'll actually give it a try...