Couch to 5K (c25k)

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
Anyone doing this? Tried it before?

I tried starting a few months ago and my routine kept getting interrupted. Not by a day or so but by weeks where I just couldnt find the time to do it.

I started again this last week. My husband, thankfully) has decided to do it with me this time.

Tomorrow we start W2D1. It is really a tough workout and I've had to push myself to run and finish running through each session. I've been so tempted to stop running early because my legs just burn but I'm trying my hardest to push.

I'll have to remember to charge my phone after I get home from work before we go to the gym. Friday night my phone died and I had to watch my husband for signals of when to start and stop running.

Replies

• Sadiejane00
    Sadiejane00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherri,
    I am doing the c25k. I am in week 4, workout 2. The first 2 weeks was the worse. Now it is getting better. My knees and legs burn too. I am signed up for a half marathon in June so I am doing this program and then another one to get me prepared. Keep going!! :tongue:
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Hi Sherri,
    I am doing the c25k. I am in week 4, workout 2. The first 2 weeks was the worse. Now it is getting better. My knees and legs burn too. I am signed up for a half marathon in June so I am doing this program and then another one to get me prepared. Keep going!! :tongue:

Wow good for you! Half marathon is way outta my league. I'm hoping to do a 5K run by my birthday in July but I've got a long way to go as I'm so out of shape right now. But between the C25K and 30DS I hope to be there by early June, thats when there is a big local one I'd love to participate in!
    Good luck on your training!
  • bells4her
    Options
    Which c25k app are you all using? I used search on my android phone and I see several that are free.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Which c25k app are you all using? I used search on my android phone and I see several that are free.

I am using the one from Active.com My husband is using a different one called 5K Runner but that one I know for sure he had to pay for after the free 3 days workout that you can use. There is also Ease Into 5K, but I didnt like the voice that is used for the prompting.

Far as I know, the guys who started C25K originally back the Active.com one and thats why I chose to use it. Cant remember if I had to pay for it or not though.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Tonight was W2D1 for me.

I'm telling you, the first part of the workout is always the hardest and the last part is easy!
    I was struggling trying to run the full 1:30 each time the first 3 times and actually switched to walking early, but near the end, the last run part... I was like all over it. I ended up running another 2 times for 1:30 each during my cooldown and just doing my own cooldown after.
    I'm going to slow down the treadmill tho. 4.0 kills me, but 3.8 seems to suit me alright. I just hope that I really can increase my times and be able to push forward to W3 and W4 like I want. I'm ok with repeating days or even a full week, I just want to eventually get there.
  • bells4her
    Options
    Tonight was W2D1 for me.

I'm telling you, the first part of the workout is always the hardest and the last part is easy!
    I was struggling trying to run the full 1:30 each time the first 3 times and actually switched to walking early, but near the end, the last run part... I was like all over it. I ended up running another 2 times for 1:30 each during my cooldown and just doing my own cooldown after.
    I'm going to slow down the treadmill tho. 4.0 kills me, but 3.8 seems to suit me alright. I just hope that I really can increase my times and be able to push forward to W3 and W4 like I want. I'm ok with repeating days or even a full week, I just want to eventually get there.

You can do it! I'm already impressed! I haven't been on my treadmill in AGES (isn't it amazing how you can spend so much money on something to sit and collect dust in your house???), but I remember I really could never handle a speech much higher than about 2.2. Of course, I was too embarrassed to RUN on it because of how loud my feet stomping on it would be... which, in retrospect, is ridiculous considering the only one who would hear would be my husband and he'd be HAPPY to hear me stomping away on the treadmill. *sigh* Being fat is so complicated sometimes. :ohwell:

In any case, I'm thinking about downloading one of the free c25k apps to see how I like it. I've never been a runner, but the idea really appeals to me... think about all of the charity 5k runs I could be in without embarrassment! :happy:
  • sherrirb
    Options
    You can do it! I'm already impressed! I haven't been on my treadmill in AGES (isn't it amazing how you can spend so much money on something to sit and collect dust in your house???), but I remember I really could never handle a speech much higher than about 2.2. Of course, I was too embarrassed to RUN on it because of how loud my feet stomping on it would be... which, in retrospect, is ridiculous considering the only one who would hear would be my husband and he'd be HAPPY to hear me stomping away on the treadmill. *sigh* Being fat is so complicated sometimes. :ohwell:

In any case, I'm thinking about downloading one of the free c25k apps to see how I like it. I've never been a runner, but the idea really appeals to me... think about all of the charity 5k runs I could be in without embarrassment! :happy:

You have a Treadmill in your HOME?!?! I'm so jealous!
    But you should give C25K a try, its a tough workout but if you've got determination and some patience, it pays off for sure. It is really worth trying. The very first time I started this (and I've restarted a few times including now) I was thinking.. "this is stupid, I can't run". I have never been any kind of runner. The only real running I did growing up was around the bases because I LOVED playing baseball and softball.
    I have had a few times in the last couple years where I've experienced activity induced asthma type symptoms, although never diagnosed by a doc. So even more so I thought it was ridiculous to try this, but I did anyways.

I did it too! I ran at MY own pace; my run could barely be qualified as a slow jog. But on some C25K forums I was reading through, everyone was saying go slow, dont worry about speed, that will come later. Go SLOOOOOW!
    Thats part of the reason I dont like running on treadmill right now, my gait tends to be a bit uneven right now but on a treadmill you are forced to run at its speed and I cant change it fast enough. But only til spring, then I want to get back out on the road.

Just give it a try, use one of the free apps and try it for a week. Thats 3 days of the program, enough to let you decide if it is something you want to continue.
  • swimmphish
    swimmphish Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last day of the first week of couch to 5k! I'm really liking the program so far and I am NOT a runner by any means. It's a good way to get your 30 minutes in too. :) I am nervous for the upcoming weeks because I'm afraid they'll be too intense. What did you guys think who are further in the program?
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last day of the first week of couch to 5k! I'm really liking the program so far and I am NOT a runner by any means. It's a good way to get your 30 minutes in too. :) I am nervous for the upcoming weeks because I'm afraid they'll be too intense. What did you guys think who are further in the program?

The furthest I ever got was W3D1 when I was running outside. It was tough but do-able.
    W2 isnt too much different from W1, 30 seconds more running in each segment. You can do it, just dont look at the clock. If you are using an app, dont look at it at ALL (if you can help it), just wait for the verbal cues.

I dread W5D3. The app I follow... 5 min warm up, 20 min run.....!
    I think I'll be repeating week 4 for a few weeks!

BTW, glad you are joining us! :D
  • swimmphish
    swimmphish Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's what we said! My friend and I decided that if it's too much we would just repeat the previous week and try again. It may take us a little longer to finish, but we can stick to a pace that makes sense to us.

And thanks! I'm excited to have joined!
  • sherrirb
    Options
    So far so good! W3D3 done. Was on the treadmill for an hour this morning, just kept doing 3 min run intervals. Total of about 21 min running and burned almost 500calories!!

I'm LOVING this!!!!!
  • kawanna941
    kawanna941 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So far so good! W3D3 done. Was on the treadmill for an hour this morning, just kept doing 3 min run intervals. Total of about 21 min running and burned almost 500calories!!

I'm LOVING this!!!!!

WOW!! This is awesome!!!!!!!!! Great Job!
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i started the c25k program a few months ago and made it all the way to the last week when i had to stop. I had been having some pains in my hip joints and after consulting with my doctor and physio i was told i had bursitis- bascially just inflammed joints because of my excess weight/ impact.

They told me to quit the running and find other activities to do until i had lost significant weight. So 200 lbs is the goal weight for me to start running again- im about 28lbs away from that- which is great because I signed up for 2 5k runs this summer: the warrior dash in barrie ontario and the colour run in chicago. cant wait to start training again.
    it;ll be interesting to see how the program is different from start to finish weighing nearly 90 pounds less than when i did it the first time.