Cardio!!!

Options
shawn46106
shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
As we all know... Cardio is king when it comes to losing the weight. Living in the New England area can put a damper on the outside activities in the winter time. So my question is what are some of the things you guys are doing to stay commited to your mission?

Myself... I do the NFL Training Camp on the Wii, and i lift some weights down stairs in the basement. I'm going to be getting a heavy bag in the very near future to put down stairs, and I ride a stationary bike down stairs as well. I usually do 10 minutes before and after I lift weights.

I try to keep my heart rate between 120 - 140 while i'm on the bike.

I started out at 270lbs back in september, and i'm down to 237 now. The holiday months kind of flattened out my progression, but doesnt it usually to all?!

My goal is to be down to about 200lbs by May, and a lot of cardio is how I plan on doing it. With some weight lifting thrown in there as well just for fun. :D

Replies

• shawn46106
    Options
    Forgot to mention that the work out I use on NFL Training Camp is about 55 minutes long, and i usually get 700 calories burned on it. That's my main cardio fix during the winter time. In the nicer months i try to get out and run when i can.
  • aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills, so I mostly cross country ski, snow shoe, and for indoor workouts Iv'e been doing ZUMBA, and also the Turbo Jam Live Video's, the cardio party rocks for a 30 minute workout that really gets your heart pumping. I also still love good old Tae-Bo and do those videos when I have more time.
  • shawn46106
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor when you do your cardio? If you do, what type is it? I bought one a month or two ago, and i am not having any luck with it. I need to look for a new one.
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Shawn... what's nfl training camp for wii like? I'm looking for a challenging indoor program... I usually run, kickbox, etc... but like other New Englanders, need to exercise indoors. I plan on doing p90x this spring, but am looking to do something in the meantime. I'm a huge Pats fan and it would fun to workout with the team... what's it like?

I don't wear a heart rate monitor... from what I've read on mpf posts, a lot of people seem to like polar monitors...
  • shawn46106
    Options
    NFL Training camp comes with two monitors. Each monitor will take 2 double A batteries, and of course you will need a wii remote. It also comes with a green plastic resistance band that is used in some of the work outs.

The game itself is divided up into different workouts. From memory you have your strength training, cardio, core, and a full body work out that mixes all of them together. The monitors that you wear will track the calories you burn as you do the work outs. At the end of the work out it will give you a line graph of your calories burned over time. It will also show your heart rate in a "Zone Chart." Zone 5 being your max heart rate, and Zone 1 being your at rest heart rate. It also has an online section that i have not messed with at all.

When you work out you get points. You spend these points on NFL gear that you can wear while you work out. You can also select a NFL player to train you from your favorite team, and you work out with them.

It's not the end all, beat all game, but it works for me. If things get easy for you, just pick up some hand weights. That's what i intend to do.

The one thing that i dont like about the game is when you do a randomly generated work out, it places cool downs in the middle of your work out. Pi$$e$ me off.

That's why i custom my work outs on there. Takes some time to set it up, but i want to work out on a large plane. Not peaks and valleys, that gets my heart rate all messed up.

I'm not sure if it's still on shelves or not, but if you are interested i would probably try amazon or something. Good luck, and let me know how you make out!
  • Liss416
    Options
    Shawn... just received NFL Training Camp for my birthday!!!! Can't wait to try it. I'm a HUGE pats fan and my husband's a hardcore Giants fan... It will fun to workout with our teams... that is if we survive tonight.
  • shawn46106
    Options
    Well... .i guess your husband must be happy after the super bowl! lol I hope you have fun with the game, and it works out well for you. It will take some tweaking to get the best work out for yourself, but for me it was worth it.
  • Liss416
    Options
    Hey Shawn! Tried the NFL Training camp... must say it was fun. I did just a quick 15 minute computer generated workout for fun... Apparently I should be a quaterback - I was awesome at those drills... I created a program for myself, plan on starting that tomorrow. After I created my program, my son wanted to play... I set him up and put on the leg and chest monitors for him... And the leg monitor wouldn't activate... turned the game off, pulled the blue tooth thingy out... Still nothing... Hopefully it will work tomorrow... If I'm going to try out for the Patriots next year as quaterback, I'm going to need to do more drills...

Have a great weekend!
  • shawn46106
    Options
    make sure you syncronize the monitors. i believe there is a section in the game that helps you with that. if you dont do it, they will not work correctly. it should be in the directions if you can't find it on the menu in game. have fun!!
  • Liss416
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.... we ended up returning and replacing it.... The second one didn't work at all, even with fresh batteries and following the synching directions... we returned that one too. I went online and discovered that it's a common problem with the game...

It was fun and I am a little bummed... I miss football and it would have been a fun way to keep the season going... I was going to do P90X end of March, but think I'm going to start it a little sooner.

Have a great week!
  • shawn46106
    Options
    sorry to hear about it. let me know how you make out with the p90x