Nursing moms>?

I am a mom of 4 children ages 7, 5 3 and 9 weeks. I am really trying to get down to a goal weight...of course over time. I am at a loss though because im nervous that if i cut to many calories back and/ or work out to much my milk supply for my son will deplenish, i am determined to nurse him till he is at least one. He is the only one i have been able to nurse. And also i really need some ideas for non dairy low fat snacks that i can have because my son has an allergy to casien (milk protien) and also tomato and strawberry free meals my youngest daughter is allergic to those. I am going to need alot of support Please we can all do this together! Lost 20lbs since my sons birth nov.7.2011 i gained 15 while pregnant. Thank you! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    I breastfed both my kids as long as I could and to do that and lose weight make sure you eat good fats and do low intensity workouts like walking and make sure you are getting enough calories I love salads so it was had for me to keep my fats and irn up so I made steak salads a lot and steak fajita wraps for lunch it was my go to lunch food and I just used the super thin small ones so they were not too expensive also as for the snacks try nuts lots of nuts they have good fats and are healthy peanut butter cashews I personally love almonds there is also a book out there with a ton of good recipes tat can easliy be switched up if they contain allergens and are great for snacking or kids lunches

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/kohlscares/kidscausemerchandise/PRD~763408/Kohls+Cares+Top+100+Recipes+for+a+Healthy+Lunchbox+Cookbook+by+Nicola+Graimes.jsp
  • Thank You!:happy:
  • leprowse
    leprowse Posts: 1 Member
    I am also a nursing mom my son is 8 months old. i gained 34lb an i have lost 30lb total but i have had a hard time loosing it. i don't want my mike to dry up so i eat more calories about 300 more.
  • :-) thank u!
  • Breastfeeding is hard work! Good for you for sticking through it and establishing your BF-ing relationship with your new LO. I'm still nursing my son and he'll be 2 next month. So I understand where you're coming from :)

So when MFP calculates your target caloric needs when you do your set-up, you need to add about 300-500 calories to account for milk production. I'd aim for closer to 500 since you're LO is so new and hitting back-to-back growth spurts. +1 to the lower intensity workouts like walking, yoga, Pilates. Aim for things that will tone, strengthen, and get your heart rate up, things like yoga and Pilates are total-body and use your body, gravity, and resistance to tone, strengthen, and stretch your muscles. Aiming for healthy fats like olive oil, avacado, and nuts is great. Aim for lean high-protein sources like chicken, beef, and pork. Making soups with beans and/or lentils are another great way to add in veggies and protein, especially for those kiddos you're feeding too.

With 2 home during the day and 2 at school, you sure are busy! Do you have a carrier like a Moby wrap, Ergo, or a mei tai? You can wear your new one in it while keeping your 3yo in the stroller, or even just around the house (and they can even nurse in one of those 3 too!) and even having those added few pounds when vacuuming, walking, loading the dishwasher, or folding laundry can help shed those pounds just a bit faster. Not to mention freeing up your hands for your 3yo.

And when it comes to reducing calories or adding activity - do one or the other, and make changes gradually. Cut back a couple hundred calories from a coffee or switch creamy dressing out for a squeeze of lemon and light drizzle of olive oil. Give it a week or so and see if you notice any changes in your supply or your LO's satisfaction at the breast. If all seems ok, then make another small change. Also - smaller changes gradually make for a more lasting permanant change rather than a drastic makeover of the pantry or exercise life. And remember, you're going to deal with growth spurts for what seems like forever. If you ever notice you are having issues with supply, oatmeal is your best friend! And check out KellyMom.com if you haven't yet - a GREAT resource for everything breastfeeding related. Great information there.

Good luck!
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Wow, great info Courtney. My little one is almost 11 months and I did the big change thing with the diet here recently and she's just not as satisfied. I've been wanting to ween down to 2 feedings a day because she is so good with regular food and seems to be consistent with her growth. But she just nurses all night long. I feel like a passifier and it's exhausting. I'm going to work some oatmeal into my diet and make sure she eats a really healthy portion of dinner to see if that helps.
  • Rebekadbh
    Rebekadbh Posts: 8 Member
    Courtney's answer was amazing and very helpful. Don't be afraid to start to take care of yourself while breastfeeding. That's what I did. I was so afraid to lose weight or mess up my supply that I gained weight back. My daughter is 15I months and still nurses 3 times a day. I am trying to lose weight now.I am just doing it slowly.good luck! Its doable!