To new school gamers

Options
adamtall
adamtall Posts: 275 Member
The other day i got into a convo with some kids that work for me about gaming. they were telling me how great a game was because of the graphics and when i went to my old addage about how graphics dont make the game they both looked at me with a stupid blank stare and said in unison "yes they do i wouldnt play a game that didnt have beutiful graphics"

Please tell me these two kids are the only two that think like this and games havent devolved into just looking pretty to be good

Replies

• yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    They don't want to play games they want interactive movies
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do love eye candy, but I still play games that look like crap by today's standards. For newer games graphics are important to me.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i showed them so NES graphics and they just about puked in their mouths lol
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What, how can they not like anything NES??! D:
    i showed them so NES graphics and they just about puked in their mouths lol
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Sad. Someone started a thread about MUDs a while back ... I loved MUDding. Still miss it, sometimes. These new schoolers would've thought we were crazy for being so obsessed about *gasp* TEXT. ;P
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Or, even better ... Trade Wars ... on a ... *faints* BBS. On DIAL-UP. With squeaky modem sounds!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The other day i got into a convo with some kids that work for me about gaming. they were telling me how great a game was because of the graphics and when i went to my old addage about how graphics dont make the game they both looked at me with a stupid blank stare and said in unison "yes they do i wouldnt play a game that didnt have beutiful graphics"

Please tell me these two kids are the only two that think like this and games havent devolved into just looking pretty to be good

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but games have devolved into just looking pretty to be good.

I mean not ENTIRELY - obviously game critics and people who are more serious gamers don't feel that way. But otherwise its like movies - there are a lot of crap movies out there that are just super neat for some people (either they really enjoy romantic comedies or action films or whatever) that are the equivalent of super great graphics but terrible gameplay and people eat that stuff up even though critics hate it.

So if anything its just a sign that video games have evolved to the point where they are literally just another vegetating option for people. something to stare at that they enjoy.

But yeah, game graphics and visual design have become very important. You've just become the video game equivalent of one of those people who only sees "Good" movies. (that's me by the way, I have to get dragged to see a movie so if I'm going to see it it better be amazing)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Yes, graphics are important. I think technology has advanced enough to the point where having crappy graphics is no longer acceptable. You'll come to notice that to more serious gamers, people who appreciate games entirely not only by how good they look, depending on the game, many variables come into play. Some of the variables can be, combat system, playability, story line/lore, etc.
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    Its hard to explain, cus u have to live thru it.
    To this day, i could play the most polygon'd, pixelated game, and ill enjoy it. Its about the story and exp.
    Graphics are good, biut just like books..the imagination goes a far way.
    Im a sucker for story, theres gamers then heres Soul Gamers.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much what it's become. It's sad but that's what seems to be important. There's very few original games now.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's a tough one!

I think it all depends on when the game was made to be honest. Personally, I expect a game made in 2012 to have good graphics and that is only because of the amazing technology we have now. Having said that though, pretty scenery and super duper micro detail on bullets etc. isn't going to make up for lackluster storyline and gameplay. If a game with not so great graphics has a fantastic storyline and is addictive, then chances are I'll play it and maybe have a little grumble about how it doesn't look pretty. As long as it doesn't take anything away from the storyline or purpose of the game, I am not really going to snub the game for looks alone. Games made in the past though, it's a bit futile to complain about the graphics - they did the best with what technology they had.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    Keep in mind what these kids are growing up with. In 10 years, they will be just as shocked when their younger peers are saying that Battlefield 3 looks like crap.

For games coming out now, just as when they were coming out years ago, graphics are definitely important. But the fact that those kids said that they wouldn't play a game that didn't have good graphics is crap. They are clearly casuals.

You also have to keep in mind the type of games they are interested in playing. If you only play FPS games, good graphics and awesome multiplayer will probably be of higher importance than story or immersion.

My point is, don't lose hope!!! As younger generations get older, they will appreciate more aspects of gaming. And if they are a casual gamer, then they just don't look at gaming like you do and won't appreciate everything in a game beyond a certain point.

I know my kids are gunna grow up playing the SNES and the like in all their pixelated glory.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Or, even better ... Trade Wars ... on a ... *faints* BBS. On DIAL-UP. With squeaky modem sounds!

Oh how I loved Trade Wars and Solar Realms on an old BBS!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    since i got the 3d tv I have been having a hard time playing games in 2d...............its tough to go back...........
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    ...If I ever have kids, I'll start them off on the original Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy. Talkin' NES here, to give full appreciation to the old :3
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    ...If I ever have kids, I'll start them off on the original Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy. Talkin' NES here, to give full appreciation to the old :3

my 4 year old loves the original NES mario, but played on the wii and the 3ds...........
  • Serenavictoria
    Serenavictoria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think they spend too much money time and effort on graphics. You lose game play and storyline. For instance, Uncharted 3. I was disappointed with the game, but it was a beautiful game.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

YES. We don't have an NES, but thanks to the Wii Shop Channel we bought those oldies. My 5-year-old loves LoZ and SMB. Well, so does her little brother, but he kind of sucks at them. :laugh: We let them play a mix of the old-school and the new-school. They love it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    ahh it got cut but here's the link
    http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/677
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know MANY people who will tell you that if the graphics suck, the game sucks. That said, I firmly believe storyline is the most important aspect - if the story isn't gripping, what's the point? Just shooting for hours at a time gets real boring real quick for me :-P