Raw lifestyle vs. Calorie Counting

Options
2»

Replies

• rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I count calories on my raw vegan diet (which includes cacao, avocado, a large variety of nuts and coconut - YUM!), but only because otherwise I struggle to eat enough for my fitness goals. Between the volume of the masses of fruit and veg I consume, together with the filling-ness of coconut/avocado/nuts/seeds if I'm not careful I can be quite a long way under my goal if left to my own devices. I'd have absolutely not a chance of hitting my calorie goals if I eradicated the demonized "overt fats".
  • Miriele5773
    Options
    I'm new to the raw vegan lifestyle. In fact, I've been raw for exactly 5 days. What I've found in those five days is if I don't keep my fat intake below 10-15% of my calories, I will not lose weight. I might even GAIN weight which is exactly the opposite of what I'm trying here. In 5 days, I've lost 8 pounds. Those days I didn't carefully watch my fat intake, I didn't lose. Also, exercise is a must.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am also new to raw vegan diet. I say diet because I am only trying it out for now. I find it impossible to eat enough calories without overdoing the fat. There is no way I could eat another bite today and I am not even at 900 calories. I feel really good but am afraid to mess up my metabolism. Any tips?
  • auttielise
    Options
    Supplement with cooked foods like potatoes and rice and maybe even vegan breads until you can eat enough calories from fruit. A good tip for packing in fruit calories is to make it into a smoothie. I use the large pint sized jars and fill two of them for one meal. Go for higher calorie fruits if you can't pack in the volume like mangoes, bananas, and dates. Save the veggies for dinner so that you're able to get more of your calories from fruit during the day. It'll help with energy and you won't feel like you're starving at the end of the day.