Tips, recipes and more

Options
PamelaHenD
PamelaHenD Posts: 42 Member
I was wondering if anyone had tips they have used for losing weight. One I have used for years is for going out to eat. If I get to go I always remove half the food from my plate. I skip fries and get a veggie instead. I make my own salad dressings and veggie dips to cut back on fat also.

Replies

• Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat very sensibly in day and have what I want in moderation... For me it's about balance
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As I work out of home I try to plan my meals for the week ahead at the weekend. Plans do change but it makes it a lot easier to keep within cals when I do this.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    My daughter's experience (she's 22 and has lost 75 pounds) is water, water, and more water. She doesn't follow any plan, program, etc. She simply started eating sensibly, portion control, etc.

As for me, I feel lost without some sort of structure. Tracking my foods I found is key - and being HONEST in what I put on the tracker. I measure almost everything that goes on my plate. If I estimate, I'll choose to estimate high. If that clump of rice I put on my plate was closer to a cup than 3/4 cup, I'll put in the full cup.

Instead of winging my meals, I've started to carefully plan them. I've decided to focus on reasonable servings and healthier ingredients. More protein, less carbs (than I'm used to - I'm a carboholic... the bad kind of carbs).

I also carry 24 almonds in a baggie in my purse for emergencies :)
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Give me a few weeks and I'll have some tips for you. :) But what I've learned over the years is that portion control & calorie counting works best for me. And exercise is a requirement!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is to input my food before I eat it to see what it does to my numbers. Now I don't always do that of course but if I am at home eating sometimes I do that. It gives me a chance to adjust something that is new before I eat it, lol.

I wish I could take back that full fat ranch dressing, yikes, lol.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Eating more!

Too many people eat low cal for so long they starve their bodies lose muscle and lower their metabolism.

Lifting HEAVY weights...only way to build muscles and we all lose muscle as we age.
  • SwankyTomato
    Options
    Eating more!

Too many people eat low cal for so long they starve their bodies lose muscle and lower their metabolism.

Lifting HEAVY weights...only way to build muscles and we all lose muscle as we age.

Well, I eat fine however I have no muscle tone and I am recovering from a back injury from 2yrs ago. My PT has cleared me to work up to stuff. I read your bio and wow that is something. I can ask you since you have been there.

So where do you start without hurting yourself?

I had injured myself initially with lunges if you can believe that. I was out of shape and thought I could do one of Jillian's tapes. I have exercised before, took classes, etc. Did not even think I could injure myself.

It happened and I guess I healed wrong and by the time I went to PT she said my pelvic floor was out of balance. However in the meantime I gained weight and got into worse shape.

Right now I am walking, and that is probably enough but I need to do some core exercises (Pilates) and thought about getting a ball to start off with. Then work up to weights. How does that sound?

How do you know when to push it and when to scale back. My PT of course says, "when it becomes uncomfortable, you stop". That can be frustrating, you know. It is so slow and I guess I have to accept that it is a slow process right?
  • lovelore1
    lovelore1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eating more!

Hi Victoria!! I clicked to read your profile after seeing your post and when I saw your profile picture I was thrilled!! P90X2 ROCKS!! I started out with the 10-Minute Trainer and advanced to the P90X series. Now I'm bouncing between those and the new X2 series along with cycling, which I've grown to love over the past year and half.
  • PamelaHenD
    PamelaHenD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I only eat till I am content. I also have to deal with food allergies which is a total pain in the butt....
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    Eating more!

Well, I eat fine however I have no muscle tone and I am recovering from a back injury from 2yrs ago. My PT has cleared me to work up to stuff. I read your bio and wow that is something. I can ask you since you have been there.

I had injured myself initially with lunges if you can believe that. I was out of shape and thought I could do one of Jillian's tapes. I have exercised before, took classes, etc. Did not even think I could injure myself.

It happened and I guess I healed wrong and by the time I went to PT she said my pelvic floor was out of balance. However in the meantime I gained weight and got into worse shape.

Right now I am walking, and that is probably enough but I need to do some core exercises (Pilates) and thought about getting a ball to start off with. Then work up to weights. How does that sound?

How do you know when to push it and when to scale back. My PT of course says, "when it becomes uncomfortable, you stop". That can be frustrating, you know. It is so slow and I guess I have to accept that it is a slow process right?

I started with PT like you are. My advice is to do the exercises religiously...I'm betting there are quite a bit if stretches? The core exercises are great because many back pain and problems stem from a weak core.

As far as progressing, get a list from your PT and Dr of exercises to avoid....then go from there. I can help you decdie what a good program is.

Oh I can believe lunges can injure, when I started even though I could do many things,lunges continued to be very painful, now I can do them no problem..BUT if I feel pain I back off.

As for Jillian's workouts, love her, HATE,HATE,HATE her workouts they are not safe because she has you working the same muscle groups everyday. I was so disappointed with her...she knows better. My before picture was when I was shredding, after I made modifications to ensure the program was safe...yes I bought into her hype (I'm embarrassed to say...but we all know how desperation makes you stupid..LOL)

PLEASE feel free to friend me, and if you would like to join my secret support group (on facebook) to help you keep motivated let me know. Right now I am working with quite a few who have injuries, including a man who severley broke his back and has quite alot of weight to lose. He's doing GREAT!

Good luck!
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    Eating more!

Hi Victoria!! I clicked to read your profile after seeing your post and when I saw your profile picture I was thrilled!! P90X2 ROCKS!! I started out with the 10-Minute Trainer and advanced to the P90X series. Now I'm bouncing between those and the new X2 series along with cycling, which I've grown to love over the past year and half.

That's awesome! Great programs!

I am loving X2...it's crazy! I am doing things I never dreamed possible!

I'm hoping I get to be in the infomercial as the "token" old lady! :bigsmile:
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    I only eat till I am content. I also have to deal with food allergies which is a total pain in the butt....

My friend is allergic to EVERYTHING, it's tough to work around her needs and allergies, but it can be done.

Keep at it!
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is to input my food before I eat it to see what it does to my numbers. Now I don't always do that of course but if I am at home eating sometimes I do that. It gives me a chance to adjust something that is new before I eat it, lol.

I wish I could take back that full fat ranch dressing, yikes, lol.

I do this wherever I can re panning works for me :laugh:
  • SwankyTomato
    Options
    Eating more!

I started with PT like you are. My advice is to do the exercises religiously...I'm betting there are quite a bit if stretches? The core exercises are great because many back pain and problems stem from a weak core.

As far as progressing, get a list from your PT and Dr of exercises to avoid....then go from there. I can help you decdie what a good program is.

Oh I can believe lunges can injure, when I started even though I could do many things,lunges continued to be very painful, now I can do them no problem..BUT if I feel pain I back off.

As for Jillian's workouts, love her, HATE,HATE,HATE her workouts they are not safe because she has you working the same muscle groups everyday. I was so disappointed with her...she knows better. My before picture was when I was shredding, after I made modifications to ensure the program was safe...yes I bought into her hype (I'm embarrassed to say...but we all know how desperation makes you stupid..LOL)

PLEASE feel free to friend me, and if you would like to join my secret support group (on facebook) to help you keep motivated let me know. Right now I am working with quite a few who have injuries, including a man who severley broke his back and has quite alot of weight to lose. He's doing GREAT!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, It is just so slow and it gets frustrating at times. Right now I am just walking (and painting a condo). I am pretty sore from that.

I will let you know when I need help.
  • nsbmom1
    nsbmom1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lots of water! Fruit and veggies! When I figured out I could eat a huge amount of lettuce and a little really good dressing it clicked!!