Recipes!!!

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
We need some tasty tasty healthy recipes that we can make instead of all the bad stuff we've put into our bodies over the years! Besides the site I got this recipe from, another GREAT healthy recipe website is skinnytaste.com

I posted this earlier today on the general message boards but thought I'd post here too.

Baked Egg Cups

This is an AWESOME recipe that you can make ahead of time then refrigerate or freeze and then pop into the microwave later for a quick, on-the-go breakfast or snack.

Ingredients:
Canadian Bacon - I found some that was 60 cal for 4 slices
Egg - 1 for each cup - 70 cal
Shredded Cheddar cheese - 1/8 cup for each cup - 55 cal

Directions:
In a non-stick muffin/cupcake pan, line each cup with 2 slices of canadian bacon. Crack 1 egg into each cup on top of the canadian bacon, top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese

Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 15-17 min. Serving size: 2 cups; calories per serving 300.

You can also serve these open faced on multi-grain muffins (100cal) for a 400 cal breakfast. This is LOADED with protein to keep you going throughout your day!

*I got this recipe from Lynnskitchenadventures.com - no plagerizing I promise!

Replies

• bells4her
    Options
    I found this GREAT website if you're doing South Beach or just low carb, low GI in general: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

She breaks down all of her recipes by ingredients, types, and by phases of the South Beach diet. For the month of January, she's doing 1 recipe per day that works for phase 1. I've tried only one recipe from the site so far, but it was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS (and I didn't change it AT ALL except I didn't have ground fennel so I didn't put it in and I didn't add parmesan cheese as a garnish).

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/02/crockpot-recipe-for-sausage-peppers-and.html

sherrib: yeah, watch it with the plagiarism! I'm an English professor! :tongue:
  • sherrirb
    Options

sherrib: yeah, watch it with the plagiarism! I'm an English professor! :tongue:

Yes Ma'am! :laugh:

I actually had to edit it the first time I posted it to add where I got the recipe from.

Another great site is skinnytaste.com for good low cal recipes.
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Here's another recipe I found that I think you guys will LOVE! I made this and took it to our church potluck today.

Pineapple De-Light Cake

Ingredients:

1 Moist Deluxe Pineapple Supreme cake mix
    1 15oz can crushed pineapple
    1 package Sugar Free Vanilla or French Vanilla pudding
    1 tbsp pineapple extract (optional - if you can find it - mine was from Watkins I think)

Directions:

Prepare glass baking and preheat oven to temperature as described on the cake mix box. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cake mix and crushed pineapple. Beat with a mixer until well blended. Pour into baking dish and bake as directed on cake mix box.

Prepare pudding mix as directed on the box. Just before you put it in the refridgerator to set, add the pineapple extract and mix well. Put in fridge.

After cake is done and has cooled, pour pudding over the top and spread evenly.

Cut cake into at least 15 pieces for serving. Serving size: 1 piece of cake. Calories per serving: 55 CALORIES!!!!

** note - I used 2% milk because I did not have skim in the house. Calories per serving reflects using 2%.

This was an AMAZING recipe and everyone loved it. I had nothing left to bring home but the dirty baking dish! Warning: this cake tends to fall apart easily, but no one seemed to disturbed by it because they LOVED it!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bettie's Picante Chicken

1 pkg boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 jar Pace Picante or any salsa

One of my favorite creations is to take a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and cut all the visible fat off. Put the thighs in a medium saucepan and pour over the Pace Picante sauce or your favorite salsa (I used my homemade stuff... it's lower in sugar). It will concentrate... so go one level milder on the spice unless you like it hot! Simmer gently until the chicken is very tender, then Shred it by mashing with a potato masher, or use forks. Simmer a little higher until it is no longer soupy.

It is AWESOME on top of refried beans or lettuce (cool to warm for this so you don't cook the lettuce). And depending on how many calories you have left for the day you can top with a bit of shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and diced avocado, Sour cream or anything else you like.

Do NOT use white meat, it will shred but dry out and not taste as good, so I don't recommend it. And if you take off the visible fat it is still a lowfat dish even with thighs.

6 Servings, 186 calories. 29 carbs, 5 fat, 19 sugar.
  • mary3323
    Options
    the breakfast cups sound yummy!
    :smile:
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Bettie's Picante Chicken

1 pkg boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 jar Pace Picante or any salsa

One of my favorite creations is to take a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and cut all the visible fat off. Put the thighs in a medium saucepan and pour over the Pace Picante sauce or your favorite salsa (I used my homemade stuff... it's lower in sugar). It will concentrate... so go one level milder on the spice unless you like it hot! Simmer gently until the chicken is very tender, then Shred it by mashing with a potato masher, or use forks. Simmer a little higher until it is no longer soupy.

It is AWESOME on top of refried beans or lettuce (cool to warm for this so you don't cook the lettuce). And depending on how many calories you have left for the day you can top with a bit of shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and diced avocado, Sour cream or anything else you like.

Do NOT use white meat, it will shred but dry out and not taste as good, so I don't recommend it. And if you take off the visible fat it is still a lowfat dish even with thighs.

6 Servings, 186 calories. 29 carbs, 5 fat, 19 sugar.

Zarebeth, thank you for sharing, this sounds DELICIOUS! I may try this over the weekend. We eat a LOT of chicken :D
  • sherrirb
    Options
    Pictures of Baked Egg cups that I made this morning! I altered it slightly and scrambled the egg before adding to the cup. They turned out awesome!

35althz.jpg

35k0vtz.jpg