Group Classes, yo!

Options
sunnydays33
sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
Are you the type that needs a set time of day for your workout, does the crowd around you push you through your workout...love having someone tell you EXACTLY what to do in your routine? Yup, me too...and honestly, I like looking in those big 'ole mirrors for motivation! (haha, I never thought I was so vain, until I realized how many pictures I actually have...of all weights. And then this big gym mirror thing)

Side note: I can remember laughing at my little brother at his first couple of Karate classes when he was about five years old...all he did was stare at himself in the mirror, fix his hair, adjust his clothes and rarely did the routines. haha, I'm not quite that bad, but I do like it-how weird, right?

I always thought that being front row gave me the unobstructed view of the instructor while learning the moves, but the more I go, and the more I see the definition in my body starting to carve out, the more motivating it is to keep at it! Now, not everybody has to be in the front row, but here's my 2 cents:

Decide on a class that sounds interesting: make a committment to go to this same class for at least 2 weeks. (3x/week) More than likely, your first couple of classes you are going to be flailing around like a fish out of water. Will you get a workout? Yup, a really good sweaty one, as long as you keep moving. Will you be confused at the jargon, and question your coordination? Yup, that's for sure! Once you get the basic moves down, you can concentrate on form and endurance, before you know it you may even be in the front row. ;o)

So...what's your favorite class...maybe you can share why you love it and any tips for getting started...and your average calorie burn/class?

Replies

• KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I heard of Zumba, so when I joined MFP I went to a Zumba class. HA! The instructor came over after to see what I thought of my first class...."hated it" Horrified she clutched the pearls. I then explained her class taught me that I was unfit, uncoordinated and unsexy! She asked me to try again, and with determination I said that I will not let it get the better of me.
    Months later I go a couple of times a week, I still feel unfit, uncoordinated and unsexy, but this class pushes me, makes me sweat with fun music. Then every once and a while I get lost in the moment and I hit the dance moves like a pro and I don't look like Elaine from Seinfeld, that's the magic of Zumba (as well as the 600-800 burn).
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I lived in CA, I used to LOVE and regularly attend Turbo Kick (classes by Chalean Johnson, before she launched Turbo Jam). I was a front of the class kind of girl, too. Unfortunately, those classes are not available in the Northeast (she's in partnership with 24-hour Fitness, which we do not have), but I use a lot of DVDs at home.

I also have come to enjoy yoga classes at my local studio. Being in a class with others makes me push to further limits/edges and be inspired by what others can do.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like kickboxing and also body blast, which is circuit training. Unfortunately they are held Monday and Wednesday nights and my work schedule just changed, so I won't be able to go.

I did Zumba once and if was horrifying. LOL. I might try again. Who knows.