Saying hello

_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
Hi all,

I posted the kind of recent message board topic "How do we feel about CrossFit?", not realizing the... uh... let's say close-minded things that would be posted in response by a few annoying people. To those of you who posted with intelligent support, thank you.

I did 3 foundations classes, and have done 2 regular classes. I modify everything, of course, and still came in last both times. Which bothers me not one bit. I am not only a beginner, I am a lifetime non-athlete. This doesn't mean I can't evolve into an athlete, but it certainly isn't going to come quickly.

And I'm still carrying at least 35ish extra pounds. I'm the smallest and fittest I've ever been as an adult, but that is a relative fact. :) So not only does my upper body strength suck, but I'm trying to push and pull and lift those extra pounds with those sucky upper body muscles.

Which is fine. This is the way it is today. From here, I will improve. And I'm truly looking forward to the work it will take, and the slow progress, that adds up over time.

:)
Amy

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Amy,

Glad you enjoyed foundations and are deciding to make a habit of CrossFit. We all have things we are working on (double unders are still quite a stumbling block for me). Just keep having fun and working hard, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the progress you see come along.

=D

Maxwell (Max)
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    I've been going to CrossFit for 3 months and I scale most everything and usually come in last. If I'm not last it just means that I'm doing a much more scaled version of the WOD than what everyone else is doing. However, it doesn't bother me at all either. I know I'm not any sort of athlete and I've been out of shape all my life.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    I am a last placer too and I don't care as long as I give it all I got.
    I have only been to 3 classes so far
  • Hi Amy!

Welcome to the club! It's ok to scale, it's how you learn to improve. I think it's more important that you complete a workout as opposed to where/when you complete it! Enjoy the madness, embrace it, and set goals for yourself
  • DaisyCrazy82
    DaisyCrazy82 Posts: 8 Member
    I too found the overall response to Crossfit on this site shocking. I have been going to Crossfit for about 2 months now, 3-4 times a week and I love it. I have never challenged myself physically like this before and it feels great. I too come in last most times, but I don't mind. My challenge is with myself, my will and desire to improve keep me going. Keep up the great work, I've found it all just keeps getting better :)
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Welcome Amy! Glad you're enjoying CrossFit. I have had to readjust how I feel about CrossFit and really turn it inward. I went from consistently being at the top at my old box, coming in at the top at my new box, then getting on to the competition team and now am at the bottom everyday. So instead of thinking, crap i'm at the bottom, i think - ok am i getting better? i am? awesome possum. that's what matters right? are you getting fitter?
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Im reasonable new to it and I cant say how much I love it.

I have been training at a gym for 12 months prior , getting a level of fitness but when I did crossfit , I got smashed and still do.
    I come last all the time , I'll admit it annoys me but I know its a starting point and I will improve.

I hope you enjoy it and embrace it , the techniques and movememnts I have learned so far I wouldnt have anywhere else.
    I dont go on these forums so i dont see the negative posts about crossfit and to be honest I dont understand why.