How do I log calories burned in strength training?

Options
caroldot
caroldot Posts: 388 Member
I posted this on the message boards couple days ago but no one responded to my question. So I'm asking you ladies. Why doesn't MFP log calories burned for strength training? I can't figure it out? I tried creating an exercise but when I categorize it as "Strength Training" but that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? Below is a list of what I did on Saturday....it was about 45 minutes in time.

Bicep curls with 10lb weights (each arm) - 4 sets of 12
Tricep dips (using bench) - 4 sets of 12
Squats with 10 lb weight - 5 sets of 10
Tricep dip (dipping weight up/down behind head) with 5 lb weight - 2 sets 12 (each arm)
Deadman lifts (10 lb weights each arm) - 4 sets of 12
glute machine (30 lbs) - 3 sets of 10each leg
inner thigh machine (75 lbs) - 50 reps
outer thigh machine (50 lbs) - 50 reps

If anyone can estimate how many calories I burned and how to log it into MFP, please let me know. I currently weigh 151 lbs and 5'4" tall. Thanks!

Replies

• TraToy
    TraToy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do not have any idea and I'm not sure if MFP is currently programmed to credit calories burned with strength training. For now, I simply log all of my exercises so I can keep a record of what I've done. If someone does know, I would be thrilled to know how to log the calories also. If not, I hope that this is something that MFP will add very soon...
  • stone307
    Options
    Under Cardiovascular you may add weight training and then it will give you a calorie count. So that is where I put mine. I do not track each exercise since I am paying a trainer to kick my but.
  • Ellejay40
    Options
    Carol I'm in the same position - but a lot less fit, lol.

I do 3x15 reps on the following

Chest press on kinesis
    Flys on kinesis
    Back strength on kinesis
    Upper abs on mat
    Left and right abs on mat
    Lower abs with exercise ball
    Glutes 20lb
    Leg press 40lb
    Adducter 35lb
    Abducter 35lb
    Bicep curl 10lb
    Upper arm 15lb
    Low row 20lb

I also use a resistance machine for thighs and flutes which calculates 30kc for 5 minutes. I've used this as a guide and so guestimate 10kc for each group so approximate 120 - 140 calories for the whole session. Its sure to be under so I'd love to hear if anybody knows of a better way.....
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and log my sessions under cardiovascular (I add my own excercise) I wouldn't use any of the default measure for physical activity because most of them are over estimated...same as the nutritional settings, I customize.
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is under Strength training but you have to be very specific with what you're doing, such as the entry below: Then it asks stuff like how many reps, how heavy is the weight, etc...

"Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl" is an entry in the data base under Strength training. So whatever you're doing, try to use specific words now just "weight lifting".
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    sorry, you're right, it doesn't show calories burned though...
  • LifeinDC
    LifeinDC Posts: 34
    Options
    When I started I used the calorie counts for weight training, but then after reading in some of the forums that these estimates were so likely to be off depending on how intense your workout were (mine were not) and how you did rest breaks, I just skipped entering. I figured they would be the added bonus besides the cardio I was doing. So I'd eat the cardio calories, regular calories, and ignore if there were any lifting calories to be eaten. It seemed to work well for me. But I only tended to lift for 30 minutes after cardio.