Anti Inflammatory Diet

Options
I have severe environmental allergies and asthma. I have to take 3-4 different allergy medications a day. My doctor thinks I may also have food sensitivity or intolerances. So Friday she put me on an anti inflammatory/elimination diet for a month to see if my symptoms improve. For the next 30 days NO - dairy, peanuts, shellfish, sugar, soy, or gluten!!!! It's going to be a loooong month :-(. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast because my staples are all off limits.

Replies

• gillybumbler
    Options
    My son is on a similar diet, but he is also allergic to eggs. Some ideas:
    Gluten Free Oatmeal
    Rice
    Rice porridge (or millet, corn, amaranth)- You can find many good recipes online
    Eggs (no bacon or processed foods though)
    Ground turkey seasoned with salt, sage, and ground ginger (to make sausage patties)
    A veggie omelet
    smoothies (is he counting natural sugar from fruits?)
    Green smoothies (1 cucumber, handful of spinach, ice, water, stevia...I promise it is better than it sounds)
    Potato, hashbrown...
    For a sugar substitute- Stevia or Xylotol (Xylotol taste JUST like sugar...stevia tastes like artificial sweeteners without the health hazards)
    I eat leftovers and soups for breakfast a lot. Sometimes you have to change your mindset on what can be included as a breakfast food.
    Garden of life superseed powder (has tons of protein and fiber...great to add to smoothies)
    Hope this helps!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    My son is on a similar diet, but he is also allergic to eggs. Some ideas:
    Gluten Free Oatmeal
    Rice
    Rice porridge (or millet, corn, amaranth)- You can find many good recipes online
    Eggs (no bacon or processed foods though)
    Ground turkey seasoned with salt, sage, and ground ginger (to make sausage patties)
    A veggie omelet
    smoothies (is he counting natural sugar from fruits?)
    Green smoothies (1 cucumber, handful of spinach, ice, water, stevia...I promise it is better than it sounds)
    Potato, hashbrown...
    For a sugar substitute- Stevia or Xylotol (Xylotol taste JUST like sugar...stevia tastes like artificial sweeteners without the health hazards)
    I eat leftovers and soups for breakfast a lot. Sometimes you have to change your mindset on what can be included as a breakfast food.
    Garden of life superseed powder (has tons of protein and fiber...great to add to smoothies)
    Hope this helps!

I would be careful about the eggs. That is my son's biggest asthma trigger!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    millet or rice puffs with almond milk!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Breakfast Burrito or pizza with food for life brown rice tortillas and daiya cheese (daiya is the best I have found, I am sure most health food stores carry it).
    Also you can just go to Whole Foods (if there is one near by and look around. They have tons of stuff.
    And Udi's GF bread is AWESOME!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do So DElicious yogurt: made of coconut milk (i know its GF, dairy and soy free)
    Trader Joes Rice cake and almond butter. (i know they are GF and dairy free)

Egg omlette, Egg quiche. Check out Paleo diet, SCD, to give some ideas. Just made a casserolle with Sweet potatoes thinly sliced and placed in a rect baking dish (oiled with coconut oil). Added shredded zuchini and carrots. 10 eggs beaten and topped with bacon Bake 375 for about 45 mins.

I LOVE cooking with Isaiah, Paleo DIet cookbook, Dairy free/gluten free cookbooks. There are also a ton of blogs like paleomg. fastpaleo etc etc.. You will have to piece what you can together but they all should get you excited. I love the SCD booke by Elaine Gotschall. and pecanbread.com
  • hendersont1
    hendersont1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a small fortune at the grocery store on fresh fruits, vegetable, and GF products. I found a recipe for muffins with no gluten, dairy, eggs, or soy products. I whipped up a dozen and they were actually pretty tasty. :-)
  • peapod1976
    peapod1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the coconut yogurt??!!? that would be fantastic!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on supplements and discovered that MSM Sulfur is supposed to be really good for people with allergies as it reduces them (and the inflammation). It creates Glutathione within the body which I'd read some people who get sick are found to have low levels of it. I guess it's one of those supplements that people nowadays are deficient in it.

I also take Magnesium, B12, D3, Calcium, and Zinc with Vitamin C. The Magnesium is really important as it's reduced my incidences of migraines. It's one of the ones I discovered gets stripped from water sources if you have a water softener system. Ironically, I have to add Magnesium and Calcium to my aquariums because the fish need it and my water source is too low in Calcium and Magnesium. I'm not sure about whether these help with inflammation but I've noticed I feel better now that I'm taking them. I buy the MSM in powder and make my own gel capsules.

I've started to research supplements only because gluten free diets (I'm wheat free due to allergies) tend to not have everything you need in them usually. It's tough to get it all. The water systems tend to remove some of the minerals too. I actually found a good supplement for my nephew whose seven which he seems to like called Kids Multi Calm. It's not cheap but it seems to help him focus and puts the Magnesium into his diet. I sometimes wonder if the inflammation I experience to some degree could be controlled through both foods and supplements which is why I'm now doing this.

Anyway, these are just a few of my ideas.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast right now is a baked potato, with or without chili/salsa, and buckwheat porridge with fruit. Hash browns and buckwheat pancakes are nice too. Sweet potato, savoury or with fruit can be good.
    I have severe environmental allergies and asthma. I have to take 3-4 different allergy medications a day. My doctor thinks I may also have food sensitivity or intolerances. So Friday she put me on an anti inflammatory/elimination diet for a month to see if my symptoms improve. For the next 30 days NO - dairy, peanuts, shellfish, sugar, soy, or gluten!!!! It's going to be a loooong month :-(. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast because my staples are all off limits.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I know it sounds overwhelming to start with. I am free of gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, and a few other grains. This is due to allergies and intolerences.

Eggs are good for breakfast, I like rice too. Cream of rice is quick and easy and sometimes I add a poached egg or nuts and brown sugar. Depending on my mood.

I use almond milk, but be careful there are some products that claim to be free of things and are not. I use foodfacts.com to check the products I am using.