Anti Inflammatory Diet

Options
I don't know if I have a gluten intolerance. I have severe environmental allergies and asthma. My doctor thinks I may also have food sensitivity or intolerances. So she put me on an anti inflammatory/elimination diet for a month to see if my symptoms improve. For the next 30 days NO - dairy, peanuts, shellfish, sugar, soy, or gluten!!!! It's going to be a loooong month :-(. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast because my staples are all off limits.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    - no dairy or soy - options: rice milk (not Rice Dream), hemp milk, almond milk, coconut milk, ice creams from rice or coconut, sorbets, fruit popsicles, etc., Daiya cheese
    - no peanuts - options: tree nuts, seeds, nut butters, seed butters
    - no shellfish - red meat, white meat, fish, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds
    - no sugar - Okay, so the ice creams above are off the list. There should be some milk alternatives with low sugar; if not, make your own or drink water. Satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit. No packaged desserts.
    - no soy - stay away from packaged meals. Cook from scratch. Stir fries, soups, stews, casseroles, chili, curry, roasted veggies, raw fruit and veggies out of hand, veggies with hummus, fruit with nut butter
    - no gluten - rice, corn, gf oats, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, sorghum, teff, bean flours, nut flours, starches, root veggies,

Remember that breakfast doesn't have to be any different than any other meal. Mine is often baked potato, miso soup, leftovers, etc. You can have eggs, hot cereal (gf oats, quinoa, buckwheat, quinoa flakes, grits, cream of rice, etc.), cold cereal (gf corn flakes or crisp rice), nuts and fruit, etc. Get out of the mindset that it has to be a breakfast food.

I would suggest that you check out your library and see if they have:

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Inflammation-Diet-Recipe-Book-Arthritis/dp/0897934857/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327346891&sr=1-1

Message me privately with your e-mail address, and I will send you my food families document, which will give you lots of ideas about foods that you can eat or substitute with.

Let me know if you have more questions or need recipes! You can do it!

Pam
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi there - hope all your diet modifications pay off with some information!

Here's one thing I was eating for breakfast often over the summer and loving: black beans (from can, heated in microwave with a pinch of cumin and a squirt of lime) topped with 2 fried eggs, salsa and some slices of avacado. Really delicious. Also, it sounds like you could make a great brown rice pudding using one of the non-dairy milks. I love that for breakfast in the winter, especially if there are lots of raisins in it.

Good luck!
  • hendersont1
    hendersont1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have never tried most of the grains listed so I think I'll try a different one each week. :-)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Some celiacs are sensitive to other grains as well (I can't have any true grains), so testing one a week and seeing how you feel is a good idea, rather than adding them all haphazardly.

Pam
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have never tried most of the grains listed so I think I'll try a different one each week. :-)