Alone on V-Day... Any tips on how to make that day special?

Options
As I just came from a bad break-up with my fiance very recently, I don't know what to do or where to spend that day being a single again. I don't have single friends to spend it with anymore as all of them are busy with their husbands/wives & their families and others are living in another country while my parents, brothers & sisters are all very busy on that day too.

Do you have any tips on how to make that day special while spending that day alone?

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Go get yourself a mani/pedi, buy a bottle of wine, and buy the most luxiurious (sp) bath salts and bubble bath you can find and pamper yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being single. Valentines day is just like any other day. If you just got out of a break up you need time to reexamine yourself anyway. Take time to love yourself and blah blah blah...

who am I kidding?? lol...it sux! and ^^^^^^^ is easier said than done. I too will be alone on Valentines day this year (the first time in almost 11 years...as I have been in a relationship since I was 18 yo)...I am excited to be single this year though. Just try to enjoy your alone time is all I got lol :flowerforyou:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A few years back, I had completely forgotten. I walked into Outback Steak House, and it was packed, even a wait at the bar. I asked the hostess what was going on. She gave an "Awww" and told me it was Valentines. So, if it bothers you, don't go out to a restaurant. My advise, pick up a DVD and wine (as advised below) and just relish a wonderful "ME Day."
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've been single for 3 years but even when I was 'loved up' I always felt Valentines Day was overrated! Just a big excuse for Clinton Cards (insert your own generic card store) to make money. If you have to wait for Feb 14th to tell someone how much you love them then life must be bad!!

Ok.......maybe I'm just bitter. Must get back to burning photos hee hee
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    To me I do think Valentine's Day is very over rated and it's just a Hallmark Holiday. That being said though it can work on your psyche. I say pamper yourself. Do whatever makes you feel good. For me it's just another day but whenever I need a little push I always make an extra special meal for myself
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree. Hyped up retail holiday! BUT....being newly single myself,I bought a bag of Hershey Kisses. My plan is to bring them to work (I work with 41 guys) and give everyone a "kiss" on that day. It will make me feel better and hopefully bring a smile to their faces too. I also have two teenage boys, so I bought them a card and a piece of Valentines chocolate. My day will be spent making other people feel special!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the helpful tips. I'll definitely go with that bottle of wine plus a nice homemade dinner or DVD & a mani/pedi. :smile:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This will be my 1st V-day being single... even though my ex was an asshat, he'd go all out on V-day. It will definately be different this year w/o all the gifts and attention.

I haven't really thought about it... but for me, I couldn't stay home. I have several single friends so I'll start looking into what we'll do that day. I can't imagine sitting at home on V-day drinking by myself.. I do that often already! lol

I do think V-day is overrated but I can't pretend I don't love the flowers, teddy bears and fancy dinners I got in the years before.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Just as a thought and don`t take it as being sarcastic but why treat it as a special day if it makes you sad?
    Maybe it is just me as a guy and single for all my life but I just look at it as another day,if I can make someone enjoy it then good and if not so be it.
    Perhaps one year I will have a reason to celebrate it and would like to but until then I try not to think about it.
  • Zodiacsmom
    Zodiacsmom Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have bought myself an amazing ring, a massage, new clothes...I always treat myself...even if I have a valentine :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have school that day to keep me busy, and I really hope Glee and New Girl are on that night, but the weekend before I am taking myself (don't care if I go alone or not) to see The Vow with Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. I love love movies...gives me hope!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This will be my 4th valentines day single in a row. I normally watch ridiculous horror movies alone. The Mani-pedi idea is great if you are into that kind of thing. A bottle of wine - or any of your favorite alcohol and just be your own valentine.

I am honestly not a huge Valentines person even if I am with someone.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    This is my first Valentines single since high school lol. I'm gonna go with a bunch of my friends to the bar. Which is what we would normally do anyways. My ex was never big on gifts and I cant remeber the last time I got flowers so its not like it will be anything different for me .
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is my first Valentines single since high school lol. I'm gonna go with a bunch of my friends to the bar. Which is what we would normally do anyways. My ex was never big on gifts and I cant remeber the last time I got flowers so its not like it will be anything different for me

I feel like I wrote this!
    My valentines were never THAT great b/c it's 2weeks before my birthday so ex's always combined them...lol can't blame them but still.
    The weekend before I have my daughter's 5th birthday (her's is the 12th) so I'll be busy with that and dance class for her is on Saturdays. I foresee it being a typical weekend and week besides me getting emotional about my baby turing FIVE
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Probably the worst day of the year if you are not in a relationship or a good relationship. Best to avoid as much human contact as possible those days. Valentine's Day and The Holidays are the worst for singles.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Just as a thought and don`t take it as being sarcastic but why treat it as a special day if it makes you sad?
    Maybe it is just me as a guy and single for all my life but I just look at it as another day,if I can make someone enjoy it then good and if not so be it.
    Perhaps one year I will have a reason to celebrate it and would like to but until then I try not to think about it.

yep this. I actually was planning on doing a 5K for V-Day since it falls on my day off work but they are all V-day theme, couplely crap, love run this or tunnel of love that. pssh...... I'm just going to stay home and mope.......well probably hit the YMCA first, but anyone that says Happy V-Day I am gonna toss a scowl their way and say "bah hum bug" :grumble:
  • I usually hit the heavy weights and make some good *kitten* food lol, i never really feel alone, like im always happy. I figure you don't need to be with someone to be happy, but if you can be with someone and they can make you happy then thats the person you need to be with :)