Just diagnosed with ncdgi, need advice and help

Options
peachNpunkin
peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
I am newley diagnoses with non celiac disease gluten intolerance. Today is my second day gluten free. I feel horrible, I'm so bloated that I feel like I'm going to explode, and of course I am running to the toilet every 30 minutes or so.

I don't know what to buy, and I don't know where to really go from here. I joined this group today for help. Please give my any and all advice that you have, because I am as lost as a goose in a hailstorm. Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The bloating will go away! I promise!'
    Some tips...

Check the ingredients in EVERYTHING from now on because some things have gluten that really have no business having it (for instance, some brands of baking powder, which is just silly).

Make as much from scratch as possible because if you are putting real ingredients in, you will be better able to make sure you avoid contaminants.

Bob's Red Mill has good gluten free products (their gf all purpose flour is great and I love the gf rolled oats).

If you are going to be baking anything, you'll need some xanthan gum.

Quinoa is fabulous in many many ways. Experiment with it.
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    Thank you for that information. I've been online all morning looking for recipes and and the like. It is such a punch in the stomach to have to deal with this. I am such a huge bread fan. I am glad I have answers for being sick, but I am not glad about this diagnosis.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that information. I've been online all morning looking for recipes and and the like. It is such a punch in the stomach to have to deal with this. I am such a huge bread fan. I am glad I have answers for being sick, but I am not glad about this diagnosis.
    I haven't found a gf bread that's good to actually eat, but the nasty rice bread does make good french toast. It tastes like cardboard on its own (even toasted) but it makes good french toast.
    I have a good muffin recipe (it for blueberry but you can substitute any fruit or nut or whatever - the base is very versatile) that is gf if you *must* have a bread option. I'm allergic to milk, though, so I use almond milk instead.

I'm posting it below:

DRY INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 Cups Brown or White Rice Flour (or GF All Purpose Flour)
    ¾ Cup Sugar (or alternative - I usually use a Stevia/Sugar blend and it worked awesome)
    ½ Teaspoon Xanthan gum (you can omit if your flour already has it in the mixture)
    ½ Teaspoon Salt
    2 Teaspoons GF Double Acting Baking Powder
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
    1 Teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)

WET INGREDIENTS:
    1 Egg
    1/2 Cup Original Almond Milk
    ½ Cup Oil –OR- ½ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla (make sure it is GF)

SET ASIDE: 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries, Whole (can also do frozen, thawed)
    WILL ALSO NEED: Non-Stick Spray (make sure it is GF)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
    In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir well with a whisk.
    In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients until smooth.
    Pour wet mix into dry mix, stir well with a wooden spoon.
    Fold in blueberries.
    Spray muffin pan, spoon batter into pan.
    Bake for 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
    Makes 12 muffins
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    I will certainly try this. Thank you.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with Gluten also. This is what personally works for me.

If I can't pick it or kill it myself, I don't eat it. -- no processed foods, flour, wheat. Nothing that isn't fresh.

There have been some side effects though.

1. No more bloat, stomach gas and less time in the bathroom.
    2. No more acne (especially on the back).
    3. No more dandruff.
    4. Weight loss.
    5. better sleeping patterns.
    6. No more of that sick, headachey feeling I used to get at least once per week.

I didn't follow my own advice over the holidays and paid the price -- now i'm back on track.

That is what works for me -- everyone has their own strategy.
  • ttwsweet
    Options
    I can totally relate... huge, huge bread/cake/cookie fan too. In fact, prior to my official diagnosis of a Wheat Allergy... I was toying with the option of opening my own bakery. :)

I will say this: the bloat will go away and you will feel 100x's better within two weeks. But you'll know... when you cheat on purpose AND when you cheat by accident! For me... I know almost immediatly because wheat triggers an asthma attack that requires a breathing treatment. Followed about thirty min. later by debilitating stomach cramps and well... some details, may be left un-written!

After cutting out wheat (and gluten in general... it's just easier) you'll find you don't really crave it as much. Not that I haven't had my days... for instance, I walked through Sam's Club the other day and they were baking Chocolate Chip Cookies... nearly broke down and cried right in the middle of the dairy isle!

Food wise... I stick with lean meats, fruits and vegies and pure chocolates for treats. You might check out an Asian Grocery... they have a few more options, when it comes to rice noodles, variety of rices, etc. which has helped satiate that need for "the noodle." (also, they are a LOT cheaper than say, Whole Foods or even the special section in your regular grocery)

Eating out. Sucks. Watch for anything with a coating... even ones you'd think wouldn't matter. Lots of spice packets have wheat/gluten fillers... as do other things, that you'd not consider: pudding cups, salsa (maltodextrine - though most is made with corn... I just skip it all together), ice creams (except Bryers), canned icing, boxed corn bread mixes! You get the picture... it's stuff you wouldn't expect... not just bread, pancakes, and oreos!

Friend me... and when you need help getting through a tough time... message me. It's tough... particularly in the first couple of months... but it just become "normal" after a while...

Be strong... don't cheat.... and know that this is what's BEST for your body so that you can live a long, healthy life.
  • ttwsweet
    Options
    Realized that was really long! Sorry!!

Also... nuts have been a lifesaver!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Udi's bread is AWESOME! I actually prefer it gluten breads. They also have amazing bagels.
    De Boles makes awesome GF noodles (rice)
    Food for life brown rice tortillas makes a good crispy pizza crust
    You can make a ton of great things if gluten is the only allergy you have! Be thankful you are not like my son (gluten free, casein free, EGG free, soy free, MSG free) As long as you still have eggs you can make some awesome baked goods!
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    I would scream if I had allergies to milk and eggs and all the other stuff. It's difficult enough to not be able to eat what I want when I want. This SUCKS!! But I sure do appreciate y'alls advice.
  • hlmoore1996
    hlmoore1996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac's Disease and I was diagnosed six years ago. It was such a shock and six years ago it was very hard to find products, and no one had really heard of gluten so it was hard to find "good' foods.

Do you have a Trader Joe's grocery store near you? It was a lifesaver to me in my early days. They have a "catalog" of their gluten free products. You can ask for one at the service desk.

Vans makes a gluten free frozen waffle that I enjoy. Chipotle Mexican Grill (the best restaurant in my opinion) is wonderful and everything they have is gluten free EXCEPT THE BURRITO WRAPS. If you ask them to, they will all change gloves. Outback Steakhouse has a nice gluten free menu, as does Uno's Chicago Grill. Donatoes makes a gluten free pizza (its not nearly as good as Uno's gluten free pizza, but it works...) At home I have learned to eat the staples, meat, veggies and fruit, dairy. And for grains I use a lot of flax seed or Quinoa. They now have some nice GF mixes for cakes (Duncan Hines GF) pancakes (Bob's Red Mill) and even biscuits (Bisquick GF.) Unfortunately they are more expensive, but if you really want a cake or pancakes it's very worth it. I make sandwich wraps with the soft corn tortillas (Mission brand.)

My best piece of advice is when someone brings goodies to work, or there is a pitch in or big extended family dinner/picnic I wouldn't spend a lot of time explaining why you can't eat it. You might find it easier, but I found it exhausting explaining Celiac's Disease, what gluten is, etc. I simply say "thank you so much, but food allergies prevent me from eating this." I am also very leary when people say, "oh, it's ok, I made it. There is no wheat in it." Believe it or not a lot of people don't realize flour or white bread it wheat! People also flour pans for non-stick reasons. I don't trust anyone but myself or husband.

Don't panic. It's SO overwhelming at first. It gets a lot easier and before long you won't even have to think about it. It becomes very natural. You will feel so much better and be better off without the wheat/gluten.
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    I have Celiac's Disease and I was diagnosed six years ago. It was such a shock and six years ago it was very hard to find products, and no one had really heard of gluten so it was hard to find "good' foods.

Do you have a Trader Joe's grocery store near you? It was a lifesaver to me in my early days. They have a "catalog" of their gluten free products. You can ask for one at the service desk.

Vans makes a gluten free frozen waffle that I enjoy. Chipotle Mexican Grill (the best restaurant in my opinion) is wonderful and everything they have is gluten free EXCEPT THE BURRITO WRAPS. If you ask them to, they will all change gloves. Outback Steakhouse has a nice gluten free menu, as does Uno's Chicago Grill. Donatoes makes a gluten free pizza (its not nearly as good as Uno's gluten free pizza, but it works...) At home I have learned to eat the staples, meat, veggies and fruit, dairy. And for grains I use a lot of flax seed or Quinoa. They now have some nice GF mixes for cakes (Duncan Hines GF) pancakes (Bob's Red Mill) and even biscuits (Bisquick GF.) Unfortunately they are more expensive, but if you really want a cake or pancakes it's very worth it. I make sandwich wraps with the soft corn tortillas (Mission brand.)

My best piece of advice is when someone brings goodies to work, or there is a pitch in or big extended family dinner/picnic I wouldn't spend a lot of time explaining why you can't eat it. You might find it easier, but I found it exhausting explaining Celiac's Disease, what gluten is, etc. I simply say "thank you so much, but food allergies prevent me from eating this." I am also very leary when people say, "oh, it's ok, I made it. There is no wheat in it." Believe it or not a lot of people don't realize flour or white bread it wheat! People also flour pans for non-stick reasons. I don't trust anyone but myself or husband.

Don't panic. It's SO overwhelming at first. It gets a lot easier and before long you won't even have to think about it. It becomes very natural. You will feel so much better and be better off without the wheat/gluten.

I don't have a Trader Joe's near me, but thank you very much for all of the advice. It certainly helps. A Lot!!
  • Larajean65
    Options
    The most amazing GF bread mix available is at www.maninis.com They have several types, my favorite is the multigrain, Papa's Pane. It seems expensive, but you will get 8 loaves of bread per bag, so it's really not bad, and it is so light and fluffy. It is so good I have served it to gluten eaters and they didn't even believe me when I told them it was GF.

~L
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I also second Udi's products. Their g-free bread actually tastes like bread! I feel better avoiding processed grain flour of any kind...but when I first went g-free, I *needed* these g-free crutches. And always keep a stash in the freezer! Because sometimes...you just want bread. You just do! And being g-free doesn't mean you have to give it up