Sugar...

Options
I have been logging calories during my pregnancy.

One thing that I seem to do every day is go WAY over on sugar... I was wondering people's take on sugar free items. For example, sugar free hot chocolate or sugar free pudding. My sweet cravings have taken a hold and I need some options that aren't going to push me over the edge.

Do you think "sugar free" is bad for baby?

Replies

• gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally try to avoid sugar free because a lot of them contain aspartame. I've heard xylitol is ok and there are more natural sweeteners out there but often not in the things you buy- more like add this packet to your coffee.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Gotta fix the sugar craving sometimes! My understanding is that aspartame should be mostly avoided, but anything sweetened with Splenda is ok for you and the baby, so an easy rule is just to look for things sweetened with Splenda if you want to go the low-sugar, sugar-free route. I still get some aspartame---have to have a diet soda every once in a while!
  • MandieBellie
    MandieBellie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    if you eat alot of fruit you will always go over on your sugar. MFP doesn't take into account the different between natural sugar and processed sugar. If you are getting most of your sugar calories from fruit you will be fine going over. Just limit the processed sugar.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is a registered dietician and really doesn't like Splenda, since it hasn't been around that long and it isn't natural. She said Truvia is ok every once in a while. In her opinion, it was better to just take in the sugar, but that is her opinion pregnancy or not. That being said, he husband (my brother) is a Diet Coke addict, which drives her up a wall! :smile: