Hot Peppers

Options
I am going to start a hot pepper garden this year. So far, I am going to grow jalapenos, habaneros, and cayenne. I will not grow ghost peppers or scorpion peppers >:P

Any suggestions on peppers I should grow?

Replies

• carterjerm
    Options
    I have grown all three. Have found if you plant the hotter peppers closer to the not so hot (habaneros close to Jalapenos) they will make each other either hotter or milder. So if you want a more sweet habaneros plant a bell pepper next to it, I am told they cross pollenate.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a hot pepper recipe for you guys: My friends ask me to make this every year for allergy season, will clear you right up.

2 packages cream cheese, room temperature. When it has softened mash the fruit of one ripe mango into it with a potato masher. Don't use a food processor, it doesn't come out right that way.

Take 1 or 2 dozen jalepenos or similar other hot peppers.. each one carefully cut with a T shape with the bottom of the T at the tip of the pepper.. so that you can carefully remove the core/seeds of each pepper (it helps to do this step wearing plastic gloves and wrap around sunglasses so that you don't get teary and choked from the hot pepper fumes.)

When the raw peppers are deseeded. Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil. When it is fully boiling put the peppers in and allow to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Pour off the water and gently rinse the peppers in cold water until they are cool. Set them aside to dry.

When the cooked peppers are dry, use a spoon to fill each one with the mango/cream cheese mixture. Then wrap each stuffed pepper with a piece of deli meat (smoked ham or turkey works well) or you can wrap them in provolone cheese if you don't eat meat. You can use toothpicks to secure the wrapped peppers if you need to, but if it's thin sliced deli meat you're using you may not need toothpicks.

If you have leftover stuffing.. GREAT, it's wonderful as a dip to serve with the peppers. They're even better if they're allowed to chill so the flavors marry.

Enjoy!