Your fitness strategy

Options
What is everyone doing to lose weight?

Right now, I'm taking advantage of our YMCA family membership (I'm on it - might as well use it). I do cardio and circuit training there. I'm really hoping to also start doing their aquafit. I'm faaa-a-aaaar to uncoordinated to do an exercise class.

I also go for a walk daily - sometimes at work on my lunch break and sometimes at home.

I am also doing the c25k running program on my treadmill at home.

Now that I type that out it seems like a lot more than I thought I was doing.

Replies

• 27stella
    Options
    I am trying to cut my carb intake in half, I stopped having a nightly chocolate treat.
    As for exercise I had been doing JM ripped in 30 as well as the elliptical at the Y. I was sick with the flu last week and now this week have a sore mouth from the dentist. As soon as I am able I am back to JM as well as starting C25K. Back to the Y next week. I am trying to find some soft healthy foods to eat while my mouth heals, so far I have been having milk shakes for diner.
  • mamaflicka
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred, but I've had to take a while off - I have a really bad back and I fell on the ice a few days ago so I'm taking it easy until I know my back is 100% okay.

So right now it's just getting up and moving more, I'm trying to get on the treadmill everyday and then I throw in some crunches/pushups/jumping jacks/leg lifts whenever I can.
  • CherylBov
    Options
    I am finding tracking my food here is making a good impact. Just cutting out pop and drinking water and green tea I have lost 6lbs this month.

The after-dinner-munchies are an issue.

I need to find an exercise strategy. I am limited in what I can do. I broke my ankle 9 years ago, with severe damage. I am not supposed to do any impact activity, including walking. It sucks. It limits me to bikes, ellipticals, swimming and weights. I think I would benefit from getting a trainer, but they are expensive, no? But then, can I afford not to?

Have any of you had experience with a trainer?
  • theoddlittleduck
    theoddlittleduck Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly just tracking my food, and trying to count the calories of my regular activities/sports that are above and beyond my regular day to day stuff (eg Tobogganing, Hockey, Biking)
  • A_little_less_Dawn
    Options
    I am trying to do 3-4 classes a week at the Y. I also am doing Just Dance at home. I am hoping to start Turbo Fire at some point as well. If I do not do anything else I hop on the ski machine for a bit. Really my goal is just to get up and do SOMETHING everyday.
  • SunriseAW
    Options

Years ago, like 15, I used to go to a fantastic trainer at my gym. This guy knew his stuff, was encouraging, could adapt my training to my capabilities and made great suggestions for exercises that I could realistically do. I hated HATED that the gym closed.

I went to a trainer at Goodlife three times. I don't think she even realized that I had seen her twice before. She had a cookie cutter routine that she literally read off a sheet to me. It was rediculous that I had to pay for that crap. Essentially what I wanted was for someone to customize a basic workout for me based on what problem areas I had, muscles I wanted to work on, etc. Yes, apparently that was on the generic sheet that she gave every single person who came in. She didn't listen, couldn't adapt, and didn't actually know how to train people other than the basic "here's the routine on the paper that Goodlife says each person should start at" routine. She didn't care if I was positioned properly on the machines when I used them or if I had proper posture. I ended up hurting myself badly and it took a while to be able to lift again. Hated her. Waste of $100.

I've been to the Y a few times and I have to admit that I've overly skeptical just because of Goodlife Lady and my annoyance of her... and I think that I've pushed that onto all big chain gyms. But I'm trying to be optimistic. The thing that I like is that at least their trainers are free for a check-up at least. They did put me on a "generic" workout routine. However, when I was doing the circuit training with the lady I grilled her about weight, breathing, core strength, what her suggestions were for problem areas, water consumption, right down to muscle physiology. Now, honestly I didn't understand half of the stuff she was telling me... but I just wanted to know if she actually knew what she was talking about rather than "This is what the YMCA says that the generic overweight 30-something needs to do". She answered above and beyond all of my questions, so I am at least confident that this lady was a good trainer.

So yes, I've had very good and very bad experiences with trainers. I think that if you go to one, be upfront about what you want to accomplish, see if they show you how to accomplish it safely, see if they understand how the equipment works and how your body works and see if they can adapt a program to suit you. If they can't, they're not a trainer. They're just a zombie who works for a gym and fakes it. But yeahhh, that's my huge assumption.:wink:
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

The after-dinner-munchies are an issue.

I need to find an exercise strategy. I am limited in what I can do. I broke my ankle 9 years ago, with severe damage. I am not supposed to do any impact activity, including walking. It sucks. It limits me to bikes, ellipticals, swimming and weights. I think I would benefit from getting a trainer, but they are expensive, no? But then, can I afford not to?

Hey there, congrats with the weight loss so far! I have some tips about the after dinner munchies!
    - make sure you are getting lots of protein at dinner time! it will keep you full and help to stop the hungriness/cravings.
    - try to get to bed shortly after dinner (sleep really helps with weight loss, and you can't eat when you sleep!
    - if you must stay up, try to drink lots of water to fill up your tummy, or chew gum to give your mouth something to taste!
    All of these helped me to completely eliminate my night time munchies =)

Swmming and water areobics would be a great strategy for you it sounds like! Also if you can make a habit of moving your arms or bouncing your legs etc while watching tv or working at a desk. It helps to burn extra calories thought out the day without even trying. (I have a habit of twirling and playing with my hair.

And last, to address the question about PTs... I have only had one, and he was great. I was in the best shape of my life so far when he was done with me!! It did cost me a lot of money though :-s. I wouldn't pay that much for one again. I think it cost me around $600-$800 for 12 sessions.. but he kept me from slacking, and showed me lots of great techniques an addressed me if my form was incorrect. Someone posted about a goodlife trainer...I agree that a goodlife trainer is not the best decision. I do not recommend! I have a few friends who were hired as PTs at Goodlife, without having certification. Goodlife made them attend a 3 day course and threw them into the job. They usually don't have any experience or knowledge when they first come in. (I dont want to speak for everyone, I'm sure there are some Great trainers at Goodlife. The best thing I can suggsesy to you is finding a trainer outside of a gym... this will cost much less since the gym doesn't need to take a chunk of their pay. The best place for this is actually Kijiji! just make sure you see their certification, talk about their experience, try to get references, Etc.

Hope I can help you!