Heart Rate Monitor's (HRM)

Options
shawn46106
shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
I got a HRM for x-mas this year. I started using it, and was dissapointed with the results. The calories burned are not even close. Example: 55 minutes of vigerous cardio 700 calories burned. My HRM said i burned188 or something. I went through the set-up 3 times, that's not an issue. It just generally sucks. I checked the reviews and it got a 3 out of 15 approval rating!!! lol.

Anyways, this topic is a sounding board for what HRM's should be targeted. General information to consider are price, durability, accuracy, and of course satisfaction with the product. Good or bad, i'd like to hear it. Just so i dont get another DUD!

Thank-You in advance.

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It is usually a little below what MFP says but not bad. I'm usually surprised I burned as much as I did when I use it.. It sells for about 80$ I think, but Polar has a couple of different models in different prices..
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I can't recall who makes it (I left it at the gym where I train daily). It seems to be very accurate. It takes in your body weight, and age, and calculates based on that. Nothing will be spot on.

Gatta make sure the weight gets set right. I used it one time after letting my buddy borrow it (100 lbs heavier than me). I thought I was a rockstar for 30 minutes based on calorie output... left his weight in by mistake :)
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It may indeed suck, but just double check that if it wants weight in lbs you didn't enter kilos, that will obviously undercalculate your burn. I have a Polar FT7 and love it. From what I can gather those with a chest strap are certainly better than those that use the watch itself to read. Also make sure it's a "coded" transmitter so the watch and strap are paired with each other else your reading can be thrown off by those around you.
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been using the FT4 for several months now, and love it. i work out down stairs in my house, so i dont need to worry about coding for people around me. i havent had to do anything to it, other than adjust the weight as it's been dropping. good problem to have. ;)