LIght at the end of the c-section tunnel?

Options
Mumbum78
Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
Is there anyone who has had any complications from C sections out there and overcame them? I was very fit post baby, and after 12 hours of back labour,an emergency c section,an internal hematoma and ostitus pubis, bed rest,weight restrictions,I have really struggled to try to get my body back!! I was doing great with swimming but due to my baby being stuck in my pelvis,I have developed bursitus and can no longer do many weight bearing activities.Its been very frusterating being unable to help myself recover and my baby just turned one, and Im still 30 pounds overweight. Any successes overcoming any of these things?

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    not yet but im working on it!!!
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    You having limitations as well?
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had my fourth baby (and fourth c-section) 10/5/11. I don't have any restrictions from the doctor, but I do still have quite a bit of discomfort in my abdomen. I have diastasis recti so am being careful with what exercises I do and am trying to improve that before moving on to other ab exercises.

Was the bedrest during pregnancy or after? With my first I was on bedrest for 10 weeks then had an emergency c-section after 4 hours of pushing and an attempt with forceps. At 4 weeks post partum I had an infection in my incision and had to have that drained (more surgery). I didn't really have any official restrictions after that except to take it easy and not overdo it like I had after my initial surgery. I didn't have anything too unusual happen during or after my other c-sections.

I had lost all but 5 lbs of my pregnancy weight by a month post partum but gained 5 back over the holidays. I want to lose 35 total, since I had gained some prior to my last pregnancy. My belly looks horrible. Honestly, I still look 6 months pregnant. I think that is partly due to the diastasis but of course I do have a lot of fat leftover as well. I am really hoping to make some progress quickly, since I am so self-conscious about my belly.
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, my struggle has been frusterating as I havent recieved much for feedback from anyone with similar issues!
    I was very fit before and had an unexpected preganancy at 33 yrs old after years of being told I couldnt have kids.
    I worked in oil and gas out in the field,so I was put on light duties at first to the the dangerous nature of my job. I then got put on short term as I began to have issues with me and the babies bloodpressure in Sept 2010. My daughter was born on Dec 27, 2010.
    I should also mention that i did have an old back injury from a 4-wheeler accident a few year back to.I gained just over 75 lbs in the last 2 months of my pregnancy!
    Long story short, I got put on rest,went 10 days overdue and was then induced 3 times. I was in back labour for about 12 hours,and I knew something was wrong because it felt like my leg was going to pop off! I was then taken in for an emergency c section.

After my surgery,I did lose 40lbs right away, but then I hemmorhaged for 3 months only to find out that I had an internal hematoma (i had never had a baby before so I mistook it for my period and waited to see dr). Once that seemd to have cleared up I began to play baseball again and noticed that running became so painful I could barely stand it(or move the next day) .MRI results showed that I had ostitus pubis (swollen pelvic bone-typical from labour and in athletes) as well as bone marrow edema). I have been on light exercise only(no running either) ever since.

My daughter just turned 14 months and I am just very frusterated,as I was so fit before and nothing I do seems to help. I swim on mondays, strength train on tues,wed,play vball on thurs and spin on sat. I justdont get why the pounds wont leave!!

I did take personal training courses and i know that strength training,cardio and cutting out sugar are really the only things that will lose the belly bulge,I am just not ready to focus on one area,as I have weight to lose all over first!
    I dont know if it is available in the states, but a friend of mine swears by these things called wold wraps,maybe look them up and see....
  • kristinL16
    Options
    Wow, what an experience! But, I would have to say that even on light activity you are more active than most people! :) Sounds like you are doing great with your activity (and I assume your calories, too). I don't know why the weight won't come off.

I have never heard of a wold wrap but will look into it. I recently got a DVD that is supposed to help with diastasis recti and some of the exercises use a towel while doing crunches to "pull the abs back together" so maybe a wrap would be helpful. My mother in law always told me I should wear a girdle after having the babies and I thought she was crazy. Maybe she was right this time. :)

• bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have had c-sections, no issues to your extent, but I would say doing punches, military press, possibly leg lifts or the bicycle on your back (pending how much it hurts lying on your back), possibly try yoga?? or pilates. It seems you need some low-impact exercises, nothing to hard on the body, I have bursitis in my knee, so any time i run, it swells, so I do leg presses and things that still work my legs out or get in 10 jumping jacks here and 10 there, like I said, I dont know the severity of even how your issues feel, but I would suggest focusing on exercises where you lay down or just do upper body workouts to get your body in a mode to burn calories in a sense.
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am still not allowed to do yoga because of my hips..Im pretty restricted right now until they heal a bit:(
  • Mumbum78
    Options
    Wow, what an experience! But, I would have to say that even on light activity you are more active than most people! :) Sounds like you are doing great with your activity (and I assume your calories, too). I don't know why the weight won't come off.

I have never heard of a wold wrap but will look into it. I recently got a DVD that is supposed to help with diastasis recti and some of the exercises use a towel while doing crunches to "pull the abs back together" so maybe a wrap would be helpful. My mother in law always told me I should wear a girdle after having the babies and I thought she was crazy. Maybe she was right this time. :)

I had a typo.Its called a wild wrap. I will see if I can find the link from my friend. Im sure its different for everyone,but my physiotherapist told me to avoid crunches altogether if you have diastasis recti(especially after a c-section),you are actually forcing the gap to stay that way. People only think of their abs as in the front. We have to remember that a lot of muscules makes up the abs, and to think of them as a "canister".She had me do a lot of planks,"stir the pot" on an exercise ball,and pelvid dips. My diastisis got smaller by 1.5" in the first month!
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I've read not to do crunches with diastasis, too, so was surprised that this video had you do them (but with the towel so it was supposed to bring the muscles back in). Not sure if that is accurate. It is so confusing. There is a lot more info on what not to do rather than what to do. Prior to my last pregnancy I took a yoga/pilates class for a year and saw no results in my stomach. I think it was because I still had a diastasis from my third pregnancy. I would really like to make it better soon, not only because of how I look but to be able to move on to other ab work. I want to do pilates and the 30 day shred, but don't want to do it if my diastasis is not closed. It is still at least three fingers width.

What is "stir the pot" on an exercise ball?
  • MissSorcha
    MissSorcha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had two c-sections and they went fairly smooth but trying to get this weight off hasn't been easy. I would stick to walking, swimming(maybe try water aerobics too) and an exercise ball. Also wearing a girdle is amazing at helping with muscle memory.
  • ROGUES2
    ROGUES2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    I just came across this posting. I've had c- sections and I too was very fit before my 1st. I thought birth was going to be a breeze since I was rather fit. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. It took ages for me to come to terms with it. I went back to the gym and started at my usual high intensity exercise, but I always failed which ended up making me more discouraged. So eventually, I had to realise I was no longer fit. Come to terms with it (e.g. being the fat person who started back at me in the mirror), and restart learning how to exercise for an unfit person. This time round, I'm walking pushing a pram (hard work going up hills), eating sensibly, drinking loads of water, breastfeeding and doing some exercise videos.

You can do it. It'll take time, but the rewards are very great. All the best.