Favorite Books, Magazines, Sites

Options
lunamare
lunamare Posts: 569 Member
What are you favorite (or current favorite) books, magazines, sites for fitness, diet, etc?

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I currently have a subscription to Shape magazine. Mostly because I got it under a promo and it was only $2. Like most other magazines it's pretty much just ads, but they usually do have a few resistance workouts in each one.

I just signed up at fitocracy. It kind of turns working out into a game. You log your workouts and it gives you points and you can level up and such. I also like that I can log reps and weight for individual muscle exercises. It has tons in there! I'm kind of excited to read some of the descriptions of the moves and learn new stuff. The invite code REDBULL still might work if anyone's interested in signing up. If it doesn't you'll have to request an invite and wait a couple weeks.

I'm also interested in picking up New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been following that group on here and trying to decide when I want to get it and start really getting into my weights.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Oh and for food/diet...

I'm horrible at keeping up with blogs but I do enjoy skinnytaste like many others. I've also found nice wellness articles on wholeliving.com.
  • MarieKae45
    MarieKae45 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info ~ i'll check them out. always looking for new ways to make this more successful!! :flowerforyou:
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Red bull for fitocracy worked for me just now. Seems fun! I'm worried I'm going to be trying to do too many things.

I just read The Hunger Games trilogy and couldn't put them down. I know, has nothing to do with fitness. I do enjoy the Eat This, Not That series.

Don't really read magazines but I would go for Runnere's World if I chose anything.

Skinny crockpot on Facebook has some good recipes.
  • lunamare
    Options
    I tend to get my magazines when I can get deals on them. My Women's Health subscription is expiring and I haven't renewed it. I've liked Shape in the past. I find that after a while they seem like the same thing over and over.

For books, I just read "Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads". The concept is to combine proteins and carbs in 4 small meals during the day to keep your blood sugar stable. I have hypoglycemia, so this all makes sense to me. I like that it's not "eat exactly this for 2 weeks and you'll lose 10 lbs". I love the Sonoma Diet books/recipes. They're all so yummy.

I'm trying not to do too much with the web. I've got a group of girls I've been friends with for 10 years that we have a group where we encourage and motivate each other, but aside from that I use MFP.

I've got more books kicking around the house, Abs Diet, Look Better Naked, Skinny B!tch, etc. For the most part I like them for the recipes.
  • lunamare
    Options
    I almost forgot one of my go-to sites:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

you put in your weight, age, hr during workout and it helps you calculate your calories burned. A bit more precise than some of the ones on MFP and lets me double check my HRM.