Suggestions for a new bike

rocketpants
rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
I am planning on buying a new mountain bike this spring. I would love any input on bikes you love!!

Budget $1,500 - $2k

I am looking for something pretty versatile (all mountain), I mostly ride shorter trails in the foot hills, but occasionally do long alpine rides, and down hills.

Replies

• How technical are the trails you're riding (or plan to ride)? Any preference between hardtail and full suspension and while we're at it, what are your thoughts about 29 versus 26?

I have a couple of mtb bikes in my stable (of six) -
    a full carbon Jamis hardtail and a Fisher high end aluminum full suspension
    They're both 29ers and I'm 5'4". Don't ever let anyone tell you short people can't ride 29ers. Just look at Willow Koerber!

I prefer my hardtail now even though I do a lot of technical riding. My full suspension is much more relaxed and I don't feel like I get the power transfer.

I'm sure I didn't help you much but try and test ride as many new bikes as you can. In the $1500 - $2000 range, you should be able to get a 2x10 drivetrain. Sram and Shimano are both making them now. You can cover pretty much the same gearing as having three chainrings without the extra weight or hassle.

Jeni
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    You should be able to do pretty well with 2k. My husband and I own a bike shop and from an insiders perspective I would say pick up a close-out deal on a previous model year if you can. Bikes are like cars, they typically stay the same for a couple of years as far as the geometry and functionality. Then every once in a while they release the best, newest thing. I am in LOVE with the 29er's. I currently ride a Ventana El Commandante Single Speed and it handles most of the local trails just fine. I take out my 29'er Specialized Epic for the more technical stuff in Lake Tahoe, Moab etc. - this is more of a play bike, but it is still fun and pretty responsive. When I rode 26'ers two of my faves were the Giant Anthem for race and the Trance for play. Both were really responsive and the Anthem had really crisp handling. Actually, come to think of it, the Trance might be a really good bike for Cross Country/All mountain and a bit of downhill. A lot of times the 26'ers feel a bit better on technical downhill. If I had to only buy one bike I would buy a bike that works for 75% of my riding. Sometimes trying to buy one bike that will do everything okay ends up putting you on a bike that doesn't do one thing really reallly well.

If you do go with a 29 try to keep some money in the budget for a wheel upgrade. Those big wheels can be pretty heavy.

Have fun out there!

Erin
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    You should be able to do pretty well with 2k. My husband and I own a bike shop and from an insiders perspective I would say pick up a close-out deal on a previous model year if you can. Bikes are like cars, they typically stay the same for a couple of years as far as the geometry and functionality. Then every once in a while they release the best, newest thing. I am in LOVE with the 29er's. I currently ride a Ventana El Commandante Single Speed and it handles most of the local trails just fine. I take out my 29'er Specialized Epic for the more technical stuff in Lake Tahoe, Moab etc. - this is more of a play bike, but it is still fun and pretty responsive. When I rode 26'ers two of my faves were the Giant Anthem for race and the Trance for play. Both were really responsive and the Anthem had really crisp handling. Actually, come to think of it, the Trance might be a really good bike for Cross Country/All mountain and a bit of downhill. A lot of times the 26'ers feel a bit better on technical downhill. If I had to only buy one bike I would buy a bike that works for 75% of my riding. Sometimes trying to buy one bike that will do everything okay ends up putting you on a bike that doesn't do one thing really reallly well.

If you do go with a 29 try to keep some money in the budget for a wheel upgrade. Those big wheels can be pretty heavy.

Have fun out there!

Erin

Wow that was a mouthfull : ), did you catch the one comment about the 29er from jeniroosen1, she's 5'4" I would be willing to give it a whirl. xoxo
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Craigslist!! Search on Full Suspension Bike, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized Mountain Bike. You can find some great deals.