Funny Kid Story - I'm sure we have hundreds, between us!

Options
sorry about the copy/paste from my conversation with a friend, but I thought you'd get a kick out of this, too - and I'm tired!

My first-grade daughter, L, and I are grandma-sitting with a friend's mom who has a sudden-onset dementia. She was FINE 6 weeks ago, got a UTI and has absolutely no short term memory ever since. So they moved her in with them and are not leaving her alone.
Grandma used to be a 1-5th grade teacher, and then a college art teacher. she is a very good artist. But confused.....so she decided to teach the first grader college art today. they started with human faces. I don't think that is a normal starting point for college art classes.

That first lesson was long and unsuccessful, but L was really patient and didn't seem to mind, so I just watched. Grandma kept "teaching" and taking over L's paper, so L let her have it and went to work on grandma's paper. Eventually that repeated so they had their own again. Then grandma was happy to see how L had "learned" and complimented the face on her paper - but really she'd done that one herself, she had just already forgotten. Then she looked at her own paper and was horrified by her own (L's) "hideous" drawing. L looked at it and was very proud - her girl was even wearing a tiara - and asked, "does hideous mean beautiful? at which point I ducked into the bathroom so I wouldn't be caught laughing.
Then grandma wanted to redraw the exact same pictures on new papers, to be painted. L is not into rough drafts and final drafts, to put it mildly, but loved the painting idea, so decided to paint a rainbow.......which grandma had to turn into a lesson on colors/order.

L knows ROY G BIV so she & I thought she had that down pat, but grandma meant colors like chartreuse - another huge lesson, that she taught by drawing lines straight across the top of her paper and labeling with names of colors so L would get it right

L listened, then mixed paints as instructed, and started painting straight lines, in the proper order, across the top of her own paper. To which grandma asked, 'aren't most rainbows curved?" And L said, "I think all of them, until ours!" I went to the bathroom again. The whole day went like that!!! For some reason I am totally exhausted.