Right Calf

Options
Any tips on how to stop it from fatiguing in sparring?

My trainers said its normal for it to take a bit of pressure and for it to seize up. They mentioned it will strengthen and build endurance, however I've moved to 3 minute rounds and by the later rounds its often difficult to put weight on let alone throw a cross.............. causing a bit of frustration!

Ive had a few sports massages which have helped big time, however Im eager to do a bit more to minimise any relapse.

Replies

• CoachDMarz
    Options
    If you don't jump rope already you should add some of that in there. Even just a couple rounds here and there and you'll feel a difference. And if you do increase the time, tempo or type.

I also try and stay moving a little bit in between rounds when sparring so I don't cramp or anything .. nothing crazy, maybe just a couple high knees here and there. Stretching before and after helps too if you're not already. If you guys have foam rollers they do wonders on the calves .. its like giving yourself a massage. Do one leg at a time to feel it even more.

Finally, I'm assuming you're right handed if its your right calf thats hurting. Stop leading with that right hand so much start using your jab and hooks! Sorry thats just what my oldschool coach would have told me ha.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - I try and jump rope once to twice a week (5x3min rounds). Also we have a blue roller but Im not as disciplined with using it, I need to add it after every training session rather than just when I'm hurting!

I do use my jab a lot, challenge is I spar against my trainer and he is very good (he's turning Pro in May) so although he takes it down a gear or two for my benefit, he does punish me if I become predictable so I have to throw the right cross for every two or three jabs. I also think I need to stand my ground more, slip & duck (and take a punch) rather than move back from an attack which is putting a lot of pressure on my right calf during the early rounds, causing it to fatigue in the latter stages.

Some great stuff you've mentioned, exactly the type of expertise that makes a group like this invaluable! :)
  • Spikesfx
    Spikesfx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    An achilles injury kept me from going pro. :( Thought is was scar tissue on my tendon, but it was peripheral neuropathy. Felt the same...seizing up, hurt in the morning, sometimes couldn't put weight on it. 10mg of Imipramine daily cured it....a little too late. :(
  • Spikesfx
    Spikesfx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine was the left calf...I'm a south paw