Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

My allergies diagnosed; GAP

Yes, it has finally come into focus that I am allergic to GAP. It's been there all my adult life and been the 600 pound gorilla in the room whenever I had been going through my lifelong yo-yo weight issues.

Just went through a mini yo-yo situation. Starting in March 2010 I turned my lifestyle over to MFP. Reached my goal weight within several months and then kept on rolling, getting to numbers on the scale and jean waist sizes I hadn't seen since my early 20's. Also got myself to a level of physical fitness I was very pleased with too.

Starting June 2011 I went into what at the time I called 'maintenance mode'. In retrospect it seemed like a good idea. But what really happened was I deviated from the calorie accountabilty discipline MFP had taught me. I mistakenly thought I could just keep swimming laps in the morning and working out vigoursly over my lunch break and I would just automatically weigh 202-205 pounds. I didn't take into account the seriousness/danger of GAP.

It took six months of that fantasy along with a couple weeks of holidays and travel for me to sober up. There were signs along the way; my 34" jeans were snugging up. Instead of weighing in religiously every Saturday morning I started skipping weigh-ins and lie to myself that I'd do it next Saturday for sure. And the huge problem once again become my allergic reaction to GAP.

What is GAP? It's 'Gravy, Alcohol, and Peanuts'. When I ignore the dangers of these and the affect they have on me I break out in pounds gained, tighter clothes, and the number of chin-ups I can do decreases.

'Gravy' takes many forms; butter, syrup, salad dressing....anything I put on 200 calorie food portions that turns it into 400 calories (and often not logged properly in my daily calorie count).

'Alcohol' is really bad as I am really allergic to this stuff! In days gone by it made me break out in bad cases of stupid. Good news is I haven't touched the stuff in years but it seems to have left me with real bad 'willpower' brakes whenever I head downhill, such as when I'm trying to pass on eating seconds or not reaching for more peanuts.

'Peanuts' also take on a number of forms; it can be anything I can't seem to eat one ounce of that has a high calorie level. That would include popcorn, toffee, chips with dip, etc.

I was somewhat aware of this allergy but didn't have it in proper focus. But now I have it clearly identified and I can deal with it. I just avoid all GAP! I simply can't touch that stuff. Some people eat a peanut or shellfish and fall out on the floor. Me, I touch GAP and I break out in fat bloating. In the two weeks since this diagnosis has been confirmed I'm back below my goal weight and haven't had any negative symptoms.

P.S. I hit 695 days in a row about an hour ago!

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Nice post :)

Congrats on your run of days - you must be well into the 700s now.