YOUR FAVORITE VEGAN CHEESE FOR PIZZA?

What's your favorite vegan cheese for pizza? What makes it your favorite? Looking for a better substitute. I don't like the Vegan Gourmet kind myself.

Replies

• kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Daiya! The mozzarella kind is great for pizza. It's (so far) the only kind of vegan cheese I really care for, and it just so happens to melt and get gooey just like "real" cheese. However, it does have a pretty strong creamy flavor/texture when melted, which I think makes it taste even better but not everyone like that about it.
  • rinalyn
    rinalyn Posts: 12 Member
    Absolutely Daiya. You can get it in bulk from Whole Foods if you ask, as well. I just made pizza tonight and used a tofu ricotta/nutritional yeast recipe, but Daiya is super super tasty.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Daiya!!!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Another passionate vote for Daiya!!!! Be sure to try the new PepperJack if you come across it!!! I have a great mac and cheese recipe that uses Daiya - SO dee-lish. Not so low in calories.... :D
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    I would have to say that I enjoy pizza without cheese. It's surprisingly really good so I have never tried using the vegan cheese substitutes.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    I also like to go without the cheese. I don't mind a little bit of daiya, but I'm not a big fan of it in large quantities. Load up on lots of veggies and you won't miss it!
  • To make a vegan pizza, I use the Ezekiel pita bread. It makes a wonderful pizza crust! I make my own pizza sauce, by blending a teaspon of olive oil, a tomato, a clove of garlic, some oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Spread pizza sauce on pita bread. I highly recommend the Daiya non-dairy mozzarella cheese, also. It is coconut oil and tapioca based and very good. It tastes and melts similarly to real mozarrella. It sounds like you are only interested in cheese pizza, but I love to add fresh vegetables on top, as well. Its sooo good! I bake it for about 15 or 20 minutes at about 350. (ovens vary - so just kind of watch the bread and the cheese).

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Daiya, hands down
  • tiseminger
    tiseminger Posts: 20 Member
    Oh yea, Daiya-Its a bit spendy but it melts and tastes great. I use the chedder for grilled cheese paninis too. yum!

http://veganrookie.blogspot.com/
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    If you're doing cheese, I'm another vote for Daiya. Although I will say, I really don't like Daiya on a plain cheese pizza, you toss on a bunch of veggies though, and I'm all there (I'm not a huge fan of the taste of Daiya, but I do like the texture). I also love pizza without cheese.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    I mostly go without cheese, since pizza in Chicago is so rich, but occasionally I make thin crust at home and splurge on Daiya or a Soydairy product then... but if you can find the Nacho cheese from Chicago Soydairy, save up your cals and make nachos and cheese fries.

Seriously!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I vote Daiya, too!
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Daiya!! Sooooo Good!!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Just tried the daiya tonight. Tastewise I like it. Texture, it was a little gooey.
  • Daiya is good. Other ideas for going cheeseless on pizza - slices of avocado, but don't bake them, put them on after. Caramelized red onions - they get pretty soft/spreadable if you saute them a bit first.
  • Faifey
    Faifey Posts: 1
    omg omg omg.....daiya all the way!!! soooo yummers!:flowerforyou:
  • alicenadams
    alicenadams Posts: 21 Member
    Daiya!! I only use a tiny bit of it though because I'm one of the ones mentioned above that are over powered by the creaminess of it when melted. I find a little Daiya goes a long delicious way!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    My wife does a combination of the Daiya mozzarella shreds and Galaxy Nutritional Parmesan sprinkles. I haven't had any complaints; in fact, I look forward to our pizza nights!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    man, I was hoping for an answer other than "daiya". I don't really like daiya and I think it tastes like dirt. *sigh*

Maybe someone else will come by with another suggestion!