~*~ PHASE TWO~*~

Options
getsveltEagain
getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
Take It To The Next Level In Phase 2

Now that you've finished Phase 1, healthy eating, working out, and taking the right supplements should be a regular part of your daily routine. Hopefully your commitment is revealing positive change and increased energy. As this phase comes to a close, prepare yourself for intense muscle-building in Phase Two and the introduction of cardio, to kick-start the fat-burning.

Training: Week 5 & 6

Moving into Phase Two, the focus continues to be building muscle, courtesy of a 6-day workout split. The repetitions in this phase fall between 8 and 10, with the exception of certain exercises, where really taxing the muscle requires more volume.

Work at 85% of your maximum effort, which means your last rep in each set should be a struggle but still doable. Don't sacrifice form for strength, and ask for a spot as you progressively lift heavier weight. Safety is key!

Lifting heavier means you'll need longer rest periods between sets. For some exercises, you'll feel ready to continue after one minute; other exercises might require two. Regardless, the rest period should be long enough to allow you to tackle each set with as much exertion as possible.

The one exception is when you encounter exercises grouped as a superset. This means performing an exercise set immediately after a different exercise set with nearly no rest taken between exercises (sets) -- only enough to position yourself for the second exercise.

While we're on the topic of definitions, you'll also need to know what "lifting to failure" means: On your last set of an exercise, instead of lifting to a set number (rep), continuing to lift until the muscle is fatigued and another full rep can't be performed.

Though lifting heavier will increase your heart rate, at this point in the program, we will begin to incorporate 4 days of medium-intensity cardio, done in 30-minute increments. Forgoing the cardio in the first phase allowed your body to use all of the "clean" calories it consumed for everyday activities and building muscle. By introducing medium-intensity cardio in Phase Two, we'll begin to facilitate fat burning, while minimizing the risk of losing any hard-earned muscle.

Training: Week 7 & 8

These are your last two weeks to achieve as much muscle gain as possible. So work it! These workouts are intense - you should use as much weight as you can safely muster. Instead of consisting of 3 sets, many of these exercises will increase to 4, albeit with fewer repetitions (e.g., 4 sets of 8 reps). As during the last few weeks, you'll be incorporating supersets and taking your sets to failure. With maximum exertion required, you might need to rest longer between sets. Two or three minutes should suffice for most of you.

Your workouts for these weeks might take longer to execute with the increased volume and rest time. If you feel like you need to, reduce the outlined 4 days of 30-minute-cardio sessions to just three. Once we move into the final and third stage, the workouts will shift from an emphasis on weight training to a greater emphasis on fat burning and cardio.

Nutrition: Weeks 5-8

Because you're doing even more activity during this phase, you might find yourself becoming hungrier. No worries. Eat up, as long as you make healthy selections! You need more fuel, and your Phase 2 nutrition plan will accommodate your body's newly developing needs. You'll still be eating a meal or snack every 2 to 3 hours, focusing on healthy food choices rather than the easy grab-and-go appeal of fast food, but you'll learn how to adjust your calories so you're not starving at day's end.

During Phase 2, I want you to start reducing your carbohydrates, since the goal is to lean out. The best way to taper down is to begin eating fewer carbs later in the day, or at least exchanging starchy carbs like potatoes and grains for vegetable carbs like broccoli. I don't want to be as rigid as saying, "Now, after your 3 o'clock meal, no more starchy carbs!" But you definitely need to reduce them.

Your total calorie intake during Phase 2 actually won't change a whole lot from Phase 1, even as we remove some of those starchy carbs from your diet. Your macronutrient mix will change a bit, as those carbs are replaced with a bit more protein. You're starting to add the cardio, which we didn't have before, so you're naturally going to be burning more calories. I don't want you changing things drastically. You still need to support your muscle, and that's going to be key going all the way to that last phase.

Are you ready? Let's do this!

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    Options
    WEEK 5

Day 29 Back & Cardio
    Day 30 Chest, Abs & Cardio
    Day 31 Legs
    Day 32 Arms, Abs & Cardio
    Day 33 Shoulders & Cardio
    Day 34 Legs
    Day 35 Rest
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have to sort of re-do week 4 this week. Since I was sick I didn't lift regularly enough :(
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im scared!! :happy:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's Message for day 29

It's Day 1 of Phase 2. Congratulations, we're now 5 weeks into Living Fit!

We're coming fresh off two days of much-needed rest. I hope you feel revitalized, rejuvenated, and eager to hit the gym! We're kicking things off with a beautiful back and cardio workout.

Remember: don't sacrifice safety for strength, rest a little more between each set, and aim to lift with 85% of your max effort. Get ready to burn fat faster and see more muscle-tone!

For the two exercises grouped as a "superset," do each in succession and THEN rest at the end of the grouping. Having done so, go back and repeat the same sequence. Continue in this fashion until all the sets of those exercises are done.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Im scared!! :happy:

We can do it! Fear only makes you that much stronger :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I have to sort of re-do week 4 this week. Since I was sick I didn't lift regularly enough :(

Do what you need and keep going no matter what!!! :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Today was the first day of PHASE TWO!!!

It was Back&Cardio day. The first exercise was wide grip overhanded pull ups. Since I can't do those I modified with the Smith Bar on an incline. I did the first set with some struggle and then the last two sets I had to break into groups of 5 to get then done. Next was the SUPERSET!? I did the bent over barbell row with 40 pounds on the 15 pound bar. I was able to get all three sets done but the last set was rough on the last three reps (8 reps each set). Moving directly to the seated cable row I did 70 pounds for all three sets and was alright with all that (8 reps each set). After resting a minute, the wide grip lat pulldown was done with 3 reps at 70 pounds and the other 7 reps at 55 pounds. The next two sets were done with 70 pounds for the first 5 reps and then 55 pounds for the last 5 reps. Following that I cranked out the one armed row at 25 pounds (8 reps each set) and am pretty sure I sure move up to 30 pounds next time. Then the hammer strength pull downs were completed with 70 pounds for all three sets. Finally the back hyperextensions and I added weight to them since it was only 8 reps for the three sets. I started with 10 pounds and then went to 20 pounds for the last two sets. Tonights half hour of cardio was done on the rowing machine at "level" 5 and stayed around 2:55 - 3:00 mins for 500 meters.

Can't wait for the next day!!! :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 30:

Yesterday we worked on building a bombshell back. Today, we're sculpting a fabulous front.

For those exercises grouped as a "superset," do each in succession and THEN rest at the end of the grouping. Having done so, go back and repeat the same sequence. Continue in this fashion until all the sets of those exercises are done.

Transformation is the name of the game, and we're playing to win. Rack up your score with chest and abs training - plus extra points for cardio - and there's no way we can lose!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 31:

Has cardio left your quads wanting more? Today's your chance to let them move some weight!

After today, you're halfway through this week's workout split. Power over the hill with a pair of strong legs
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Yesterday was Chest/Abs/Cardio. I had to jump around on the exercises because the weight side of the YMCA was pretty busy. I started with the wide grip bench press and did a warm up set at 20 pounds (the bar used in all bench press is 45 pounds so this is a total of 65 pounds). Then the three sets went like this: 30 pounds, 25 pounds, 25 pounds for three reps and 20 pounds for the remaining 7 reps. I then left the 20 pounds on for the negative presses. Then came the wide stance pushups... in reps of 15?! I did 7/3/5 for the first set and the last two sets I broke up into 5/5/5 to get them done. Moving on I did the superset because the other machines for the chest were in use. I did all 20 reps of the toe touches with my legs up, but had to do the crunches with my legs down for all 20 reps. Then next set was with my legs up for 7 reps and down the remaining 13 and the crunches with my legs down for all 20 reps. The last set of toe touches I did 10 reps with my legs up and did all the crunches reps with my legs down. Following that I did the cable crossovers and used 30 pounds for all three sets of 10 reps. Continueing I did the roman chair and was able to get all 10 reps on the set and only struggled on the last rep. After that I went to the cable crunches and that was funny since I didn't really feel it working my abs. I did the first set at 35 pounds, the second set at 42.5 pounds, and the third set at 50 pounds. Moving on were the side to side pushups. I did all three sets modified on my knees since the regular pushups gave me so much trouble. They weren't fun but I busted them out in three sets or 10. Last were the incline bench press... but someone else got on the smith machine so I went to just the barbell incline bench press. OH MY WORD... I could only do the bar for this move and even that was tough!? I did the first set broken down 7/3 and the last two sets broken down 5/5 with the 9th and 10th rep being really hard. So hard that I needed my spotter (who was no good since she wouldn't stand behind me for this move like she should have) to help. So it was really ackward on those two sets and with her helping me from one side to put the bar back. She told me, I need you to help me put it up. I said, I can't help put it up which is why I need you to spot me!? LOL... I can call her out since she is my cousin ;) Ended the workout with Cardio and hopped on the elliptical set it to crosstrain 3 with a resistance of 8. I went slow like between 100- 110 strides per minute to keep my heart rate below 160. I figure that mixing it up for the cardio on the program will only help my run training for the half marathon :D

Thurday will be Leg plus Arms/Abs/Cardio!? I wonder how long I will be at the gym... Chest/Abs/Cardio took me 1 hour and 40 minutes (but we were goofing off between sets)
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie' s message for day 32:

Nothing sets a gal apart from the crowd like a pair of toned arms.

After our cardio, abs and arms training today, sleeveless dresses will beg you to buy them.

Need some motivation in the gym? Think about that shopping spree!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 33:

Shoulders say strong, proud and sexy. Let's train ours to speak loudly.

Only one more workout this week! Press your way to well-deserved rest
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last day of Phase 1 and then I start Phase 2 on Monday!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 34:

Relax… tomorrow.

Today, I'm asking you to dig deep with me and find the strength for one more all-out legs workout. I know we're tired, but we'll both feel amazing once we're out of the gym today.

Almost time to get off our feet and rest our legs. Almost. Let's earn it.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's Message for day 35:

Finally, a day of rest. You deserve it! Great job on a great week.

Let's finish Week 5 by talking about fat. Don't fear it!

Yes, we've been fighting body fat, but I'm talking about healthful dietary fats, or "good" fats. Good fats are actually an essential part of your diet and are critical for performance and overall well-being. Basically, our bodies need fat to function!

Dietary fat is used for energy, is essential to cellular construction, regulates bodily processes, and is necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

Not all fats are created equal, of course. Healthy fat sources include olive oil, legumes, and fish. Avoid junk food, which typically contains nasty trans fats, and also limit your saturated (animal) fat and cholesterol intake.

A few easy tips include:

1.Eat unsalted, raw nuts - like almonds - instead of potato chips.

2.Use extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar on salads instead of high-calorie dressings.

3.Replace processed meats and cheese with fish, like salmon, which is packed with Omega-3's.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 36:

You're entering Week 6, and nearing the halfway point of the program. Congrats!

Time to hit those "pull" muscles again with this science-based back workout. I've also thrown some cardio into the mix to amp up the fat burning.

So let's get started, shall we? If you've come this far, you're going to make it all the way for sure!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 37:

The beauty of my training approach is while your back is recovering from yesterday's workout, you can train chest only a day later. You're pushing -- not pulling -- so one muscle group grows while the other works.

For good measure, let's do some abdominal training and cardio as well. We'll tone up your midsection and burn some fat to reveal your handiwork!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 38:

Toned, sculpted legs require resistance training. This workout hits your legs from all angles for complete, balanced development.

No need to flick the treadmill's "on" switch today -- give your lungs a breather while we work your legs. See you at the gym!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 39:

Toned arms, tight abs, and fat loss: Who doesn't want all three? Make your body a cellulite-free zone with today's workout.

Don't be alarmed by exercise names like "skull-crushers." It's just an old-school ways of saying triceps extension, not to mention a great way to avoid chicken arms.

So let's hit it hard today en route to major results!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Jamie's message for day 40:

One of the best ways to make your midsection appear toned and tighter is to sculpt some nice, rounded shoulders. This workout is your chisel, basically.

Let's ace that cardiovascular training today, too. A strong heart and lungs are as important as a good-looking body, and will last your even longer!