Please introduce yourself! :)

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
Hi! I will start off.
My name is Brittany, I am the Creator...er--group creator :bigsmile:
I'm 19 and engaged to a wonderful (agnostic) man named Nick, 21. We have been together for two years. When I met him I was very spiritual and considered myself a Christian because I really wasn't sure of anything else. I grew up in the south where everything is very ONE way or you're wrong. Since meeting him though, I've realized that, for me, it just didn't seem plausible. That, and most of the Christians that I knew weren't actually very good people. So I guess I had called myself agnostic for a while. Recently I read a couple of books on Wicca and found that I already lived by the Wiccan rede anyway (An it harm none, do what ye will.) So now, I consider myself a non-practicing Wiccan. I live by the rede, and I sometimes meditate or use my energy to help will something to happen, but I do not do rituals or cast spells. To be honest, it is too involved :bigsmile:

So, how about you? What religion are you? Are you even religious at all? How old were you when you decided what religion/non-religion to be?

Replies

• thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My name is andy and i guess im agnostic. I believe that something there is out there I just dont know what. I am 25, married, father of three kids. i am a nerd/dork/goofball. I lucked out with my parents, they wanted to my bro, sis, and me be what ever we want. My dad group up southern baptist, my mother penacostal (sp?). when we went to church with family it was methodist. I hope to raise my kids the same. I dont care if they become christian, athiest, pagan and so on I just want them to be happy.
  • grimmaster1983
    Options
    hello im shaun, im 28 and married to the love of my life mykala (also on mfp) we have a beautiful little boy now 18 months, born and bred in derby, england.
    i consider myself an atheist, but only because i have no beliefs , its not that i believe there is no god/gods , i have just never stopped to think hmm maybe there is.. so im pushed into the atheist group..
    im a very scientific person, so i KNOW that there is no heaven floating in the sky above our planet (sorry to sound sarcastic but thats how heaven is always known) .
    anyway here i am and if theres anything else you want to know :) ask.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm Fred, i'm an Athiest. I think Religion is the cause of so many of the worlds problems, and as a human race, would be better off without it all
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    Greetings & salutations, friends!

My name is Amanda & I'm 26 years old.

I have a wonderful girlfriend, Catfish9, on here, of two years
    & we are undertaking the weight loss/lifestyle change together.
    She inspires me EVERYDAY & my heart is hers, forever, as we
    know it. I'm gonna marry that girl someday.

I don't really have a religion & I can't really be classified as anything, but, I am very spiritual.
    The "teaching" that resonates most with me is loosely called "The Michael Teachings" but
    I fondly refer to it as Soulism. Basically, it states we are all eternal soul fragments cast from
    the Universe, to experience life in the physical realm. Why? Well... why not?

It goes on to explain that before you were born you decided what you were going to learn/experience,
    what role you'll play, who you'll interact with. Basically, you are eternal, you know everything without
    knowing what THAT means...so you choose to go through hardships, pain, joys & all the chaos &
    euphoria that is life to fully understand. You reincarnate, you start at the beginning soul level (infant)
    until you reach the Old Soul level, in which case the journey continues on & on.

I am a Mature Soul Priest/Server.

I'm not exactly sure of the specifics but I've concluded that much.

^______________^

If you are interested in learning more please visit :

http://www.michaelteachings.com/

I am also interested in Astrology, The Healing Runes, The Law Of Attraction
    & pretty much anything metaphysical or spiritual. I will read/study anything!

I deeply look forward to interacting & discussing all sorts of fascinating topics!

Please feel free to friend me!
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Hello! :)

I'm Katie! I'm 24, madly in love with the woman of my dreams, and really don't know what I'd call myself. Spiritual, I guess? I was raised in a non-religious home, and more or less left to establish my own spiritual beliefs. I have been to church a handful of times, and find all of it pretty difficult to wrap my head around.

The only things I truly believe in with all my heart are love and doing good. I don't know what will happen to me when I die, but I am not afraid. I identify quite a bit with Wicca in that nature and goodness are very dear to my heart. I adore plants and animals, and refuse to kill even a fly. I feel like every life has value and purpose, even if it is 'just a bug.'

I love learning about other people's beliefs, even if I do not agree.

Nice to meet you all, feel free to friend me. :)
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Yass and I'm an alcoholic... oh wait, wrong group :bigsmile:

I'm Yass, I'm 33 and I've been a solitary eclectic Wiccan for a long time already. I'm pretty unorthodox in my practice but I'm always trying lo learn and improve my practice. Although I'm not 100% Wiccan based on my unorthodox practice/belief, that's how I feel since I do belief in the Goddess and God.
    For the most part, I try to get along with everyone, despite their beliefs or non-beliefs. I do have some issues with certain religions, and most of all with the people being part of them for my own personal reasons which I'm not going to discuss here since this group is about debating in a civil, educated and respectful way and I do hope it stays that way.
  • javajunki
    Options
    Cliche' alert; Merry Meet All,

anyway, I am Alan, 52. I've latched on the the label "Pagan-Polytheist" as closest to my beliefs.
    I stand circle with a small group of friends on the wiccan holidays. I believe God is bigger than any
    one religion, and will show him/herself to you if you seek and in the form you are able to grasp.
    I believe our souls are eternal and part of (all of everything) god. I don't really believe in hell except
    when defined as 'separated from god' and that that is a choice we can make for our self while on this
    plane.
    I believe everything you do comes back to you, eventually, both positive and negative.
    I have studied Reiki and I believe in the power of thought energy to influence the physical world.

I could go on but that is the basics in a 'nutshell' (apt phrase)

merry part, until later
    Alan
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    Hi, my name is Regina. I am a practicing Pagan. I started out as a Wiccan when I was 19 but slowly grew to understand that I identify more with Native American Pagan beliefs than Gardinerian style Wicca. I was a solitary up until about two years ago and then recently started circling with an eclectic coven. I do feel spoiled because I have found MANY Pagans and Wiccans in NJ. It almost makes up for being raised in a strict Catholic household (it's a joke).

I have very few issues with those who believe differently than me. Obviously, I do not take lightly to being told I am going to "Hell" for worshiping a Christian created diety they call "Satan". But, other than that, I am a very snarky person in general, and believe than you can't make it in life without laughing at the insanity of modern living.

If you have any questions, message me at any time.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ahoy hoy!! I'm Laura, I am 28 and I live in Dover, Kent, England, with my hubby to be and our 17month old daughter. I guess I would come under a wiccanbut what I believe is pretty complex really! I have a background in science so logic is defo my friend but I really feel that faith is a great thing but religion isnt as it can be used to lie and blackmail. I do believe in some sort of higher power or cosmic order but I also believe that we will only know what it is whne science has proved it. Hope that makes sense! If not never mind! It has taken me years to figure out just what I think is going on out there! :)

I also believe that God is God no matter what name you use! And I firmly believe that once people realise that they all pretty well worship the same thing just in different ways we will all finally be able to get on with eachother!

In fact I think that deserves a So Mote it be!!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    hi all .. i'm Erin, 36 from northern California. I've been married to my wonderful husband for 4yrs (in march). we do not have children. i do not practice any sort of organized religion.. it may sound weird, but my spiritual guidance in my early 20's came from talking to my dead boyfriend, whom i felt was protecting me. now that i'm older, i don't talk to him as much. instead i get my guidance from my husband, my parents and my brother. they all have such good advice for me, and its a warm supportive place for me to be fulfilled.

i never needed organized religion, but i am fascinated by it. the changes over the last 10k or so years of human evolution are so interesting. how we went from many gods, to only one god. the eastern religions, the different stages of the bible, how it became what we know today. i would love to take a college class about the rise and fall of different religions. :smile:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have never joined a church since I don't like the idea of having to agree to someone else's ideas, I prefer to come up with my own... and I may decide to change them tomorrow, or add to them, etc..

What I believe as of today:

I believe that there is a spiritual world that can be tapped into. I think it is stronger than humans and they are there for us as guides. I believe these guides can either lead people toward the truth or may deceive them. In other words, there are both "honest" guides and "dishonest" guides who's purpose may be to either give us wisdom, or to impart false wisdom, to intentionally deceive us. Both type guides have power to offer and that's why we can easily be deceived. We think if we can tap into "power" of any sort... it must be good. Power feels good. I don't think people die and become guides, but that there are guides who are aware of what has happened in our lives, and may disguise themselves as loved ones who have parted.

Okay, so you may think I'm nuts. You may know I'm nuts, I may be nuts. I'm not sure, myself. I do like to read whatever I can get my hands on and I like to hear others perceptions. I love to debate since it usually makes me stretch my thoughts and may even revise my beliefs. Anyway, I hope I don't upset anyone when I challenge thoughts. Just because I may challenge them, doesn't mean I don't think they could be valid.
  • danasmith7
    Options
    My name is Dana. I am 42 years old and live near Dallas, TX. I am married with 2 children-21 & 24 and have awesome twin grandsons who are 4 years old. I am a Christian who claims no denomination. I was not raised in a Christian home, always considered myself one without actually knowing what it meant. I was 29 years old when I decided to take this path in life. I think that there is good and bad in all people and all religions. The behavior of some people who claim to be "religious" is a shame. I believe there is one God/Creator/Father, that Jesus Christ was sent to save humanity from themselves and that the Bible is God's living word and can direct us in a wonderful path in life. I don't have all the answers and I never will. I do know what I have seen and felt in my own heart what God has done for me-that can never be questioned or even explained. I believe the will of the human spirit it very powerful and that with faith nothing is impossible. I am very fascinated by all religions, why people believe what they believe. I would love to know more about yours. Christianity is not an outside label for me. It is a belief of "do the right thing" in all aspects of life and I live it everyday to the best of my ability. Everyone screws up-just learn from it and try again. Enough about me...
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm Virginia, 45 years old - live a bit north of Berkeley, CA. My husband and I found Unitarian Univeralism a few years ago and after having no spiritual home for over 20 years, we are loving the exploration and combining of similar philosophies that we experience through our church. I have an almost 8 yo son.

I believe in a spiritual force and maybe many gods, but I do not believe in the Christian god and all the supposed wrath "he" brings or the justification for brutality that seems to go along with that thought process (that goes for all other religions that use their beliefs to abuse others).
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm Jean. I am 59 years old. Hector and I have been married for nearly 20 years. He has a 41 year old daughter from a prior marriage. I was raised in a Protestant Church, Congregational, but as an adult never attended Church until recently. Prior to my recent move and relocation, I attended Buddhist sanghas in my community; and am currently immersed in the works of Thich Nhat Than, and Thomas Merton. I believe we are all on a journey together.
  • abetterliv
    abetterliv Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Liv and I am a Buddhist! I found Nichiren Buddhism when I was introduced to it by a friend in 10th grade, and haven't looked back since! Basically, it is a form of Mahayana Buddhism that was created by Nichiren Daishonin, a 13th-century Japanese monk. My practice is based on the Lotus Sutra, the last of Shakyamuni Buddha's sutras that states that everyone can attain enlightenment. Nichiren essentially used this sutra to create the saying nam-myho-renge-kyo, which we chant every morning and evening to a scroll called the gohonzon, which is supposed to represent our life. We chant in order to improve our lives and find happiness, and ultimately to alter our karma.

Before I found Buddhism, I kind of toyed with other religions such as Christianity and Wicca, but for the most part was just kind of looking for some sort of belief system to get me through all of my struggles. Buddhism was something completely amazing to me because most of the beliefs coincided with what I already strongly believed in, only now I had a way in which I knew that I could put these ideas into practice.

So far I haven't really faced much discrimination because I think that most people accept that Buddhism is a "real" religion, but probably find it very strange since I'm white and wasn't born into the practice. My parents are also fine with it, but my dad is very Christian and we don't share a lot of the same ideas. I wasn't raised religious whatsoever, though, as my mom was formerly Catholic and absolutely hated the hypocrisy of her church, so my parents are happy that I have found something.

I also am completely accepting of all religions, as I believe most of them are truly meant to be good for the world at their core, and I believe that individuals in any religion can either live morally or live immorally, it's up to them. There are bad Buddhists out there too, it's just whether or not people make the conscious decision to live with compassion that makes a difference. I'm by no means a saint (or a buddha, in this case), but I'm trying and that's all that matters. If everyone just tried to do one thing better in their lives, I feel as if the world could be a significantly different place :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian but somewhat leery of organized religion. I attend a church but I won't join it officially because I won't sign off that I agree with all their beliefs. (And because I don't think Jesus's message included bureaucratic stuff like "official memberships".)

I was raised Christian but I felt that so much of what I was taught was hateful and completely misguided. After years of searching for something to believe in, I have come back to it with a whole different perspective. I believe in god/s but I don't think we can really understand it. Christianity is one way to respond to god, but I don't think it's the only way. For me it's the way that makes sense since my family and close friends are mostly Christian, and I have grown up in this culture so the symbols of it resonate most with me.

I am also very interested in Buddhism. I saw the Dalai Lama speak a few years ago, which was such a lovely experience.

Oh, and thanks for starting this group!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian but somewhat leery of organized religion. I attend a church but I won't join it officially because I won't sign off that I agree with all their beliefs. (And because I don't think Jesus's message included bureaucratic stuff like "official memberships".)

I was raised Christian but I felt that so much of what I was taught was hateful and completely misguided. After years of searching for something to believe in, I have come back to it with a whole different perspective. I believe in god/s but I don't think we can really understand it. Christianity is one way to respond to god, but I don't think it's the only way. For me it's the way that makes sense since my family and close friends are mostly Christian, and I have grown up in this culture so the symbols of it resonate most with me.

I am also very interested in Buddhism. I saw the Dalai Lama speak a few years ago, which was such a lovely experience.

Oh, and thanks for starting this group!
    Love this post. I know some intelligent, open-minded Christians, and there are more here on MFP. It's easy to lump "Christian" in with being small-minded and hateful because there are so many public examples of small-minded hateful Christians. But they aren't all like that. Far from it. I know Christians who are smart, level-headed, accepting, kind, respectful and open-minded. They happen to believe in a Christian god. Christianity has been associated with a lot of bad things throughout history. But I don't believe it's all bad.

I am Ken. 42. Live in Austin, TX. Grew up in Dallas. I used to identify as a Christian. I was raised that way, including an Episcopal elementary school which had a chapel service every morning, and a Jesuit (Catholic) high school. I grew impatient with what I felt was too much reliance on faith, and I didn't like piety. I knew that millions of non-Christians couldn't be wrong. It just didn't make any sense that there would be one right/true god - and everyone else was doing it wrong. For many years, I claimed to be spiritual, against organized religion, and would even pray/meditate/think using phrasing such as "god, for lack of a better term" or "universe."

Eventually, I started reading about atheism and what it really means. I was attracted to the concept of doing good for the intrinsic value of doing good, as opposed to some of reward (afterlife, etc.) I also like the idea of living this life, the one right here and now. I do not like zealots of any kind and do not like proselytizing. There are some atheists that can fall into that category. I'm not convinced anyone - or any one set of beliefs is the RIGHT set of beliefs. I'm always curious and interested in other people's beliefs. And I generally respect their choices, even when I do not agree. There are lots of good things about religion. I think anything that causes human A to be more respectful, loving and generous toward human B is a good thing.

Recently I have stated that I probably lean more toward agnosticism than atheism, but that can depend on who you ask and how you define those terms. I don't believe with complete certainty that there is no god, though I suspect that is the case. I could almost be convinced of some kind of common metaphysical shared energy among humans. Call it the Force if you want. I do believe human beings are capable of connecting on different levels.

My wife is currently taking a yoga instructor course and is being exposed to a lot of Buddhism. She keeps coming home saying how much it sounds like my beliefs and how I would be interested in it. I am a firm believing in the power of practice, ritual, etc. But I don't buy reincarnation. Definitely more to learn there. It seems very interesting and less like a religion, more a set of beliefs/way of life.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi , my name is Greg . I am a follower of Jesus Christ . I have been raised in church but drifted away for several years in my late teens and twenties . I am 48 now and have regained a sincere daily relationship with my Lord .I purposely did not label myself as a Christian ,although it would be correct to do so , because from the posts on a recent thread Christian is a term bringing to mind very bad memories to many who I would like to try and have a dialog with .
    I have a best friend that I have known for 25 years and have been lucky enough to have been married to for 23 . We have 3 kids ages 19 ( son ) , 15 ( daughter ) , and 10 ( son ) .
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    hi. i'm MA, i'm a practicing pagan. i was raised in a christian household, and for a long time i tried REALLY hard to fit that round hole. but i'm a square peg. life got much better once i was able to say that out loud.

i have friends and family in faiths that run the gammut. my basic idea is that none of it matters, we're all from the same creator and we all have a path to follow. we can't all be on the same path, that would be boring and tedious.

the fact that i can agree to disagree has been known to piss off some ppl. LOL
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elisabeth. I forgot to introduce myself.

I grew up being told that I was free to believe whatever I wanted. I still haven't settled on anything to believe in. As I get older, I drift further and further towards atheism.

I grew up in a multi-belief family. My mother was raised russian jew, but to her dying day she was an atheist. People tried to get her to accept a god just before she died, but she refused. I respect that. My father was a Surrealist artist who was extremely into philosophy and meditation. I'm not entirely sure what his belief system was, but it was certainly of pagan origin. His beliefs are depicted in a lot of his paintings with mythological figures. He also helped with my research on mythology later. My paternal grandmother insisted that I go to Episcopalian Church. I had some great times in Sunday school as a kid. But belief was never forced down my throat.

As a teenager I started looking into more obscure religions. I spent years studying everything I could find on Wicca. But I just couldn't believe in a god/goddess so although I know a lot about the religion, I don't practice it. My interest in Wicca and Paganism led to a lifetime studying everything I could about other religions and mythology. I freaking love Egyptian Mythology and I can never learn enough. I used to have a webpage on the history and mythology of the Egyptian Goddess Sekhmet (along with the worship of feline deities) and her various incarnations. Over the past decade I've become increasingly interested in Celtic and Norse Mythology. Mythology and Fashion History are my passions.