Do you combine devotions with exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• jewells233
    Options
    yes when i am swimming i do there 3 hail mary then go into Our Father, Hail Mary & Glory Be and pray for everybody that ask me to pray for them i think devotion and exrcise go hand in hand
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I listen to the Divine Mercy and the Rosary while I run.

This is a great post with links to various apps. I have my itouch set to ring at 10, 12, and 3 with these various prayers.

http://www.elizabethfoss.com/reallearning/2012/04/how-to-give-up-coffee-and-add-more-hours-to-your-day.html
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What a lovely idea!
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link - I"ve subscribed on my Google Reader.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I may start combining devotion with my outdoor runs. I listen to Christian music while running.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    "Everything I Know About Prayer I Relearned in Spin Class" was written by a Jesuit. He has a number of observations. Find it at: http://thejesuitpost.org/site/2012/04/everything-i-know-about-prayer-i-relearned-in-spin-class/

"For those of you who don’t know, peeking into a spin class entails seeing a room full of sweaty people pedaling away atop stationary bicycles while rocking out to pop music and listening to an instructor with way too much energy somehow still manage to yell orders like a Prussian drill sergeant. All while cycling at 120 RPM.

It’s pretty much awesome. It also has a striking number of parallels with the spiritual life.

That’s not to say that it’s easy to pray immediately after spin class (especially when I can’t get Rihanna out of my head), but I have relearned a lot about prayer through my experience atop an exercise bike. In honor of the greatest #11 of all time, Sparky Anderson (sorry Isiah, but what you did to the Knicks disqualifies you), here are the top 11 prayer lessons I’ve relearned by spinning:..."

See link for more!
  • grassette
    Options
    http://praisemoves.com/about-us/what-a-class-looks-like/

Looks like the Baptists are into prayerful exercise too!
  • jmpetros
    jmpetros Posts: 10
    Options
    For those of you who like podcasts I highly recommend www.salvationhistory.com. they have bible studies available as free podcasts. This is Scott hahns institute of biblical theology...amazing!:happy:
  • JennieMLane
    JennieMLane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised regularly recently because I was uncomfortably pregnant. I plan to get back to it now. When I was at the gym I would say rosary and/or Divine Mercy chaplet while on treadmill. I found when I was praying for a particular intention I'd increase the
    intensity of my work out. I often pray "have mercy on "name" and on the whole world" placing a specific person into the decade of the Chaplet instead of "have mercy on us".
  • grassette
    Options
    A Jesuit describes what he learned about prayer in spinning class!

http://thejesuitpost.org/site/2012/04/everything-i-know-about-prayer-i-relearned-in-spin-class/
  • olgamarie_t
    olgamarie_t Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • olgamarie_t
    Options
    For those of you who like podcasts I highly recommend www.salvationhistory.com. they have bible studies available as free podcasts. This is Scott hahns institute of biblical theology...amazing!

Awesome
  • olgamarie_t
    Options
    ]
    oddly, some mornings i listen to divine office morning prayer while on the ebike...
    [/quote]

I do that but the night time one,compline on the ipad ,
  • olgamarie_t
    Options
    Omg how embarrasing i dont know how to reply with a quote.the 3 previous posts i messed them up and cant delete it
  • olgamarie_t
    Options
    I haven't exercised regularly recently because I was uncomfortably pregnant. I plan to get back to it now. When I was at the gym I would say rosary and/or Divine Mercy chaplet while on treadmill. I found when I was praying for a particular intention I'd increase the
    intensity of my work out. I often pray "have mercy on "name" and on the whole world" placing a specific person into the decade of the Chaplet instead of "have mercy on us".

I do that too but i say " for ...the name" then For the sake of His sorrowful passion....
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    For those of you who like podcasts I highly recommend www.salvationhistory.com. they have bible studies available as free podcasts. This is Scott hahns institute of biblical theology...amazing

I love to pray the rosary when I go for leisure walks- praying slows me down considerably- but find that I am SO easily distracted... I do better to listen to podcasts so i don;t feel so guilty when my mind wanders ;)
    ps- scott hahn is fantastic... a major contributor in our conversion decision!