Over the "you'll find someone" pity comments!!!

So after a day spent with my family and friends yesterday I was well and truly over the conversation about my dating life, particularly the many "he's out there" and "don't worry, you'll find someone" comments!

Even more annoying was the "when are you going to have kids" discussion - I'm 25 for gods sake! Pretty sure I have some time up my sleeve in that department!!!!!

Just needed to vent and thought I'd open up for a discussion about the worst comments people make to you all about being single, and whether anyone has any witty one liners to throw back at them!!!

xoxox

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    When ever my mom gets on the whole grand kids thing I always respond with "Well I would prefer to find a man and have a stable life with him first but if you prefer I can go have an unprotected one night stand in hopes of getting pregnant." That usually shuts her up.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    You need to live your life. I married way too young and regret that I didn't have a youth. Rebel! Have fun!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    My standard come-back is: I'm enjoying where I'm at right now... after all, it's better to be single than miserably married. Really, if they'll be honest about it, MOST of the people pushing me to hurry up and find someone are miserable with THEIR spouses.
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    If she wants grandkids so bad... tell her she can take my boys for a week... bet she'll lay off you after that! 5 and 7 both with ADHD.... wooosh..... how am I fat??? lol
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Just be glad you are desirable enough to date..
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I get the, "found a bf yet" comments allll the time. I just tell them to shut it. Now that my sister is married and has a kid it hasn't been nearly as bad, but my family still annoys the crap out of me with these comments. They even annoyed me about things when I was in a relationship (for 2.5 years). Then it was, "when are you getting married?" *sigh* I just can't win. :grumble:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    So after a day spent with my family and friends yesterday I was well and truly over the conversation about my dating life, particularly the many "he's out there" and "don't worry, you'll find someone" comments!

Even more annoying was the "when are you going to have kids" discussion - I'm 25 for gods sake! Pretty sure I have some time up my sleeve in that department!!!!!

Just needed to vent and thought I'd open up for a discussion about the worst comments people make to you all about being single, and whether anyone has any witty one liners to throw back at them!!!

xoxox

Every single person has to deal with that stuff sooner or later.

I find the inner dialogue more difficult to deal with than that.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    People intend well and don`t realize that some times things said are not exactly well received.
    My most disliked is "You are too good a catch to be single" which then to twist the knife often is followed by "If I wasn`t married/taken I would be after you".
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

xoxox

I gotten the "marriage and kids" lecture. not discusion but a lecture. coming from a hispanic background and culture having big familes and being married at a young age is the norm. If you aren't married by early to mid 20's something is wrong with you. but I do wanna clear up, it's mostly my extended family that badgers me so to speak. my father and mother are just happy for me. However my grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins: WHY YOU NO MARRIED YET ARE YOU GAY IT"S OK WE STILL LOVE YOU?! :grumble: luckily I only see them every 6 months or so. :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I just say 'because the only guys I meet are complete freaks!!!'

And that is the truth! Met another one last night who took the biscuit!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,641 Member
    I hate those comments too. I get "once you lose all your weight you will find a BF" gee thanks. This is what I get from family. I just tell them to shove it, LOL.
  • I hate the pity comments. I can take anything else, but I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. I'm happy!

The worst one I ever got was when I was in college talking to this girl that all the guys liked. She told me that I was being shallow because I wanted someone to find me attractive and then told me it was a good thing I was overweight. Her (completely flawed) reasoning was that at least I would know that a man loved me as opposed to her who would always be wondering if he was just after her body.

At the time, I was still pretty naive. Otherwise I would have told her that men who were just after her body wouldn't bother marrying her. Oh well. She got pregnant and is now fat. Maybe I'm just a b*tch, but it kind of makes me laugh :laugh:
  • I hate the pity comments. I can take anything else, but I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. I'm happy!

The worst one I ever got was when I was in college talking to this girl that all the guys liked. She told me that I was being shallow because I wanted someone to find me attractive and then told me it was a good thing I was overweight. Her (completely flawed) reasoning was that at least I would know that a man loved me as opposed to her who would always be wondering if he was just after her body.

At the time, I was still pretty naive. Otherwise I would have told her that men who were just after her body wouldn't bother marrying her. Oh well. She got pregnant and is now fat. Maybe I'm just a b*tch, but it kind of makes me laugh :laugh:

lol! I love a good revenge story :-)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    My standard come-back is: I'm enjoying where I'm at right now... after all, it's better to be single than miserably married. Really, if they'll be honest about it, MOST of the people pushing me to hurry up and find someone are miserable with THEIR spouses.

This^