Road Bikes - new vs. used

Options
smuehlbauer
smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
Hey there - I would like to get into road biking and am pretty clueless to the sport.

I have been chatting with a guy from one of the local bike shops and he is telling me that I can't get anything used for the price of what he is going to sell me new at. All said and done - entry level bike, shoes, ect for $1000-ish. I'm not sure what model or year, but I know it's a Specialized 54cm.

I don't know that I can justify spending $1000 on a bike when I have never ridden a road bike. I just got a mountain bike last year - and love it - but I need to go faster. But I also have too many interests to think that riding is going to be the only thing I do in summer.
(Winter riding in Wisconsin = not so much!)

So - I'm looking for advise and opinions on new vs. used.
Or - if anyone local is looking to sell a road bike that would fit my needs - give me a shout! :happy:

Thanks in advance!
Steph

Replies

• azsach
    azsach Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i'm a road biker. The advantage to me anyway, is that there are many organized "tours". Stick with the new. I'tll be custom fitted to you. I live in Arizona, and we mostly ride in the spring thru fall. Too cold in these mountains. I just finished a 62 tour de hero (fund raiser for United Blood Services) in Phoenix Saturday 1/28, 61 miles. Fun, Challenging LSS
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry - I'm not trying to choose between Mountain bike or road bike.
    I know I would like to road bike - just need to know pro's and con's to new road bike vs a used road bike....
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    New Road Bike: Fitted TO YOU by the LBS (Local Bike Shop) that sells it to you. Or at least they should, if they're reputable. NOTHING compares to a properly fit bike. Simply put, a $100 properly fit bike is better than a $10,000 poorly fit one. Fit is everything. As you learn to love your road bike, you'll come to understand and appreciate this.

Used Road Bike: Used road bikes don't have to be bad. Actually, they can be quite good. It's more of a gamble though. Some types of bikes are specifically made for that owner. So, in theory, their old bike will never fit you. Also, it's hard to know exactly which size bike fits you properly until you figure it out with your LBS. This problem can be avoided as you ride, a lot, and figure out exactly which bikes fit you best. Till then, it can be a big gamble for a first timer. Assuming the bike is the right size for you, it's possible to go to your LBS and get a fitting. These aren't cheap, and can add quite a bit of unexpected cost to a "good used deal".

My first road bike was used, and it just never fit correctly. Even after a fitting. It did the job for 3 years, then I just had to move on. I got a TT bike last year that fits me like a glove. And I just got a cross bike that fits me differently than the road or TT bike, but it's still amazingly comfortable. NOTHING makes you want to ride like a well fit bike. Nothing.

Once you get that well fit bike? You'll want to ride till your legs fall off. Guaranteed. In no time flat you'll be getting the winter gear, and the bike trainer, and everything else you can dream up to keep you on your steed. Just wait and see.

Hope this helps.