Eating out and partying

Options
So my friend just asked me to go to Olive garden. Thats a problem. I did just go work out a bit ago and ate well for lunch but i have a feeling that nothing there will be under 840 calories. (also I don't like salads) Another problem I often have is that I like to go out and party on the weekends as well. Thats a lot of empty calories. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions to keep the calories down but to not have to say no to social plans that basically revolve around eating and drinking.

Replies

• leighfit22
    Options
    Yeah Olive Garden is a tricky one. First maybe see if your friend would be down to go somewhere else that you know you'll like the food, but it won't be family sized or serve bottomless breadsticks. Otherwise, go there and see if something looks good on the appetizer list. For most restaurants, those are about the right size for one person. Or you can always split, if your on a college budget thats always great! And drink tons of water before, one or two glasses will fill you up a bit and decrease your appetite. So if you split or order an appetizer, you can bring half of that home and have it for another meal! Don't forget, your paying for the food, so you can tell them how you want it! So tell them you want your chicken grilled, always sub for veggies, and you can even ask for no bread or if they can box up half the meal.

As for drinking, that does add up! Shots have like 75 calories in them and those can really add up! So do a mixed drink and sip on it for a while, add a straw so it takes longer, and apparently you get drunk faster on that too... not sure how that works. Also for chaser, do diet sodas or find a good alcohol to mix with club soda or tonic water, thats always a lower option.
  • Kristena2009
    Kristena2009 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ya. I checked out the olive garden website and the parmesean crusted tilapia only has 590 calories. I had no idea that the chicken parm I had been getting was 1090! thanks for the advice with the drinks too!
  • jtheroux89
    jtheroux89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, I like to go out on the weekends and it took me a while to realize that having a couple beers or mixed drinks when you go out really adds up. I also have friends that like going out to eat and it's really hard to order a salad or a wrap over wings or a burger when its right in front of you. What I've been trying to do though is stick to liquor mixed with diet soda, or something like a vodka cranberry...and drinking a little of your own alcohol (something lower on cals) before you go out saves money and you generally drink less, therefore less calorie-loaded drinks. & when I go out to eat I eat something little before hand so I'm not as tempted to stuff my face or I try to keep my ultimate goal in mind and try to order something relatively healthy. Anyway, sorry for the length, but I can definitely relate!! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :)
  • Kristena2009
    Options
    Ya last weekend I managed to stay under my calorie intake and also go out by just getting diet soda and mixing 2 shots in them. Also I wait longer until I start drinking. For instance, all of my friends were pregaming and having a few shots at home before we went to a comedian and then we were going to go to the club. I just gave myself a number of shots I was allowed to mix and saved them till later. That way if I drank them later at one time they would still have an effect and I was having less than I would have. I don't know if that makes sense but im getting down little tricks for not totally blowing it on the weekends. I also have more time on the weekend to workout so I do a little extra if I know i will be drinking. :)
  • Kristena2009
    Options
    One more thing! Fuze drinks mix really well with vodka and the ones that are marked "slenderize" only have 10-15 calories :)
    Also Diet orange soda and UV cake tastes like a dream-sickle ...its so good and cake is only a few more calories than a normal shot of vodka ...but you still get that sweet taste
  • jtheroux89
    jtheroux89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've never tried fuze as a mixer but it sounds like a good idea. I've mixed V8 light, like the pomegranate blueberry with vodka.. it's a little more calories but not as much as regular soda and you still get a fruit and veggie serving, haha. When you get shots do you get mixed or just straight up?
  • Kristena2009
    Options
    I don't really like to take plain shots so I mix them. I've really enjoyed fuzes....also whats really good (but kind of expensive) are those neuro drinks. theres different ones that do different things. like concentration and things like that. Where I live they are about 2.39 each so I only get them every once in a while.

Yum! the pomegranate blueberry sounds great!

Also as far as liquors go there is this chart called get drunk not fat and it has a ranking of all the alcohols (well a lot of them) with alcohol content to calorie ratios. There are also prices so thats kinda cool
  • Twiinkless
    Twiinkless Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I eat out, I try and make sure I'm with at least one other person who's trying to eat healthy. I read that people tend to match how much the people they're with eat, so I have heaps of trouble eating out with my sister who is tiny and eats whatever she wants. On the plus side, my boyfriend is on MFP too, so we'll often split whatever we're eating.
    In terms of drinking, mix your own! My personal favourite is mixing Smirnoff with diet coke or lemonade, which is about 80-90 calories a drink, but it's good because you get to spread it out with diet soft drink. Also, I alternate an alcoholic drink with a normal soft drink (diet) or water.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You can save a lot of calories by avoiding alcoholic drinks all together.
  • Kristena2009
    Options
    true but i just turned 21 ...me and my friends are all still in that bar phase :)
  • MsDreaB
    MsDreaB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Found this: http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/dinner/lighter/

---Flavorful Entreés Under 575 Calories

I happen to love the Olive Garden and I've come to find that these low calorie meals are delicious and having the low calorie meals with one bowl of soup fills me right up.
    I also sometimes go and only get the soup and salad option.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-i127920
    --Zuppa Toscana 170 per bowl
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-olive-garden-minestrone-soup-i54229
    -Minestrone 100 cals per bowl

And if you order the salad ask for the low fat dressing
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-olive-garden-low-fat-italian-i54230
    -Low Fat Italian 90 calories.

So you can always get a couple bowls of soup and salad without or without dressing for under 600 calories.

Hope this helps!