Online Relationships

Options
What is your opinion about this? i.e. you constantly communicate through chat or sometimes on phone but never actually saw each other on real because of the great distance.

Personally for me its a sort of 50-50. While I believe in fate but the physical distance makes it harder to sustain no matter how strong & committed two people are with each other. Of course real life relationship is no different either but this one is more risky since you never met him/her in person, its more difficult to know that person's real attitude.

Replies

• ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've never been in an online relationship. I've met people online but then it moves toward meeting in person. I don't think I define "online" as a relationship - to me it's either long distance relationship or just a plain "relationship."
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I think, until you meet someone in person, you can't really be in a relationship. You can't feel chemistry over the phone, and due to recent events.....I really believe this is true. I had talked to a guy online for several mos...just emails every few days--due to our schedule, getting together was difficult, so then we texted alot, then talked numerous times on the phone-one phone call was 6 1/2 hrs and he was very comfortable. Then we met on Saturday night and NO CHEMISTRY........it happens..........
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Online friends are great,so is having online or phone "fun" if that is what both want to leave it at.

In person is so much nicer though and before a relationship can be contemplated that has to happen.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had 1 online relationship (shouldn't have happened) in which I fell completely head over heels for the guy. He did with me as well. We talked, texted, skyped, emailed, PM'd, everything! 24/7 too! We had to end it and I often wonder what it would have been like in person. I think it'd be hot hot hot. But you never know....

I wouldn't think of an online relationship as real though. I'd wait until I'd meet them to see if we're that intense for each other when it counts- in person!
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ITA that you need to meet in person. I try to meet someone I'm interested in within a few days. There's no point in spending hours and hours on the phone and then not liking each other when you finally meet. (Like Moe said). That is so disappointing.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ruined my college dating life by having an online relationship with a guy fo. I thought we had everything going for us but after 2 years when we were finally able to meet since he moved closer there was absoultely no chemistery. I also found out he had been cheating on me pretty much the whole time also.
    Is this the case for every on-line relationship I would say no but meeting online and talking for awhile is fine but before becoming commited I would have to meet them in person first. I do tend to meet most the guys I am interested in online for some reason. The last guy I actually called my boy friend we met online but did not consider to be in a relationship until we met in person.