Egg Allergies

Options
Hey all :smile: I have very severe egg allergies and am having a hard time with finding subsitutes for it. I have tried ener-g but for some things it really sucks. I love eggs and always used them to help fill me up. Any others out there? :embarassed:

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    In what kind of recipes? It sounds like you are trying to replace egg dishes, rather than asking for an egg replacer for baking. Which is it?

Pam
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    My son also can't have eggs. There is nothing to replace them for breakfast (that we can find) except for tofu which we don't eat. (we only eat fermented soy because un-fermented soy is supposed to be very bad for you)
    For baking...is this your only allergy?
    My son is also gluten free/casein free so it is a challenge to find good recipes! I was not successful with the Ener-g although my mom says it works for her.

I have found some really good recipes on vegan blogs.

his girl rocks! We just made the banana pancakes and they were a hit! (we used bob's gluten free flour)
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/

I have also had a lot of success with the BabyCakes Cookbook but the recipes can be expensive and pretty much all have way too much agave (we use honey) for me to consider them healthy for my child. I made him an amazing german chocolate cake for his birthday. You couldn't even tell it was allergy free!

I must follow recipes because with this crazy allergy free baking I can't estimate or improvise. I have had the most luck with vegan recipes.

I hope this helps!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    You can apparently make your own tofu with beans other than soybeans. The most common seems to be chickpeas, which are used to make burmese tofu. There are recipes on the web. A lot of the vegan breakfasts online that use tofu could probably use pureed white beans or sunflower seeds.

Cooking egg-free and gluten-free is more difficult, but there are more and more recipes around now. I have been vegan in the past, and one of my friends has severe egg allergies, so I often cook/bake vegan as well.

Banana scrambles are a fun idea:

http://flavorator.blogspot.com/2011/07/gift-of-vegan-gods-banana-scrambles.html

A raw scramble:

http://beyoumag.com/2008/05/08/raw-vegan-breakfast-recipe-spanish-breakfast-scramble/

Chickpea scramble:

http://www.runneratheart.com/2012/01/vegan-chickpea-scramble.html

Kale and white bean scramble:

http://www.veganmeals.com/recipes/kale-and-white-bean-scramble/
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Is it all eggs or just chicken eggs? I can't eat chicken eggs but I can eat duck eggs. You should find out.
  • mamadragon
    Options
    Is it all eggs or just chicken eggs? I can't eat chicken eggs but I can eat duck eggs. You should find out.
    [/quote

Not sure. Doctor wont let me go see an allergist. I'm assuming all eggs for now till I can get tests done. Thanks
  • mamadragon
    Options
    In what kind of recipes? It sounds like you are trying to replace egg dishes, rather than asking for an egg replacer for baking. Which is it?

Pam

Both. I've tried replacing eggs with other things as well as trying to use an egg replacer for baking.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Okay, well egg replacers like Energ egg replacer are only for baking, not for egg dishes like souffles or something. And not for a recipe that is very egg heavy, like angel food cake or macaroons. Best used in a recipe that uses 2 eggs or less. Others have success with ground flax or chia mixed with water to form a gel like egg whites. It depends a lot on the role of eggs in the dish that you are baking. In some recipes, it is a binder, in others a leavening agent, in others an emulsifier. And what you would sub depends on its role. There are lots of substitutions you can try - mashed banana, doubling the baking powder, soy flour, lecithin, etc. It all depends.

Your best bet is probably to search for a vegan version of what it is that you are baking - chances are, someone else has already taken the time to work out a recipe for what you are trying to make. Google is your friend. Just search for what you are trying to make and see what the top few hits are. Even if you have other allergies, chances are you will find something that is close.

To reproduce an egg dish without eggs, look to tofu, pureed white beans, soaked and pureed cashews, etc. Again, search for what you are looking for and see what you can find.

Is there something particular you are looking for right now?
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use ground flax + water for dense baked goods like cookies and breads. For lighter things like cakes and batters, ener-g is fine. For scrambled eggs or quiches I use firm tofu, and silken tofu for mousse.
  • 70k1
    70k1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel for you.

I'm allergic to eggs, most grains, dairy, several kinds of nuts, some beans, oranges, grapefruit and a bunch of odds and ends. Try going to a restaurant and find a meal that doesn't have dairy, wheat or eggs. The good thing is I'm allergic to most junk food.