How did everyone get into gaming

Options
adamtall
adamtall Posts: 275 Member
just wondering how everyone came to enjoy gaming or get into it?

I got into it when i was in like when i was like 7 or 8 my dad and mom got the family a NES for Christmas one year and me my mom and brother all played it together alot, i remeber beating Super Mario 3 and having to wait to fight bowser so my mom could come into the room to watch. i got more and more into it after my parents got divorced, i guess i just kinda used it as a coping mechanism which im kinda glad i did because during highschool is when i became really really a hardcore gamer because my friends started to turn to drugs and i didnt want any part of it so i sat home and played games constantly instead of going out and from their i just kinda kept going with it

well thats my sad but true story on how gaming grabed me and kept me out of trouble lol

Replies

• Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Since about 8 when we first got a PC and I was hooked on Whiplash. I swear it gave me some nasty joystick hand problems. I used to watch my dad play tomb raider aswell, until he couldn't get past one bit, I think where you had to drive her buggy over a house and it made a cut scene. Anyway, I saved over his game save :blushing:
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Ugh it makes me feel really old when people start talking about how they watched their dad play Tomb Raider LOL. Adam, that sucks about your parents but its good you didn't turn to drugs as well...

I started in Christmas 1988 when I was six. Got an NES system and a shiny gold Zelda II: Adventure of Link cartridge. It's been my favorite Zelda game ever since, mostly due to the nostalgia factor.
  • Lozzielol
    Options
    I can't remember ever not being into gaming, from playing Age of Empires when I was small on my Dad's work computer to this very day with my hundreds of games and various consoles :P
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    My parents would shop at the mall and I would ask to wait at the Sears there. They had a Nintendo display set up with a tv and either Duck Hunt or SMB. I would play there and others. I finally got my own NES as a Xmas present in the late 80's.
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My mom and grandmother bought me an NES when I was really young, was hooked ever since.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I didn't really get hooked with a gaming system..... but this one day, many many moons ago, I got curious about this little game I saw in Best Buy I think it was... called Everquest. I've been sucked into MMORGP's ever since.

Hubs was playing Diablo at the time and I just couldn't get into that one. I still snicker when one of his pieces of armour was a hack and it looked like his little guy ran around with a post it note on his head LOL!
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started my gaming journey when I first dropped a quarter into Space Invaders. Then it was Asteroids. Then Pac-Man. Then my parents broke out a Pong. Progressed into Atari 2600. And so on, and so on, and so on.
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ugh it makes me feel really old when people start talking about how they watched their dad play Tomb Raider LOL. Adam, that sucks about your parents but its good you didn't turn to drugs as well...

I started in Christmas 1988 when I was six. Got an NES system and a shiny gold Zelda II: Adventure of Link cartridge. It's been my favorite Zelda game ever since, mostly due to the nostalgia factor.

was the second one a golden cartridge too? i know the first one was but i didnt think the second one was :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

was the second one a golden cartridge too? i know the first one was but i didnt think the second one was :)

it was. I hated it. side scroller boo. I preferred the overhead birds eye view
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I got an NES the year after it came out. I had awesome games, but my parents were strange folks and wouldn't let me get more than one game in a series. So I had SMB, but I wasn't allowed to get Mario 2 because my mom said, "It's the same game!" Of course it wasn't, but whatever. I also had the original Game Boy, but again, no sequels, and I wasn't allowed to upgrade to the newer Game Boys because they were convinced there was no difference. Anyway. So I got out of gaming for a long time because I never got any new games and it was boring.

Then I met my now-husband, and he was a big gamer. I didn't play much with him, but he did give me his copy of The Sims and I played it now and then. Then Animal Crossing came out, and he wanted it. I said it looked like a stupid game, but I bought it for him as a surprise random gift just because I knew it would make him happy. He opened it and played it immediately, and after watching him play for an hour, I said, "Can I try it?" We took turns playing it for the rest of the weekend, and I bought myself a Gamecube the next weekend so I could play it myself. We lived far apart and only got to see each other every 2 weeks, with me going out there every other visit, and I couldn't bear to go a month between playtimes. :laugh: Then he gave me his PSX and a couple of games, introducing me to the wonderful world of RPGs, and it was all downhill from there.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I've been gaming since I was 4! Circa Atari 1980!
    I stopped playing between 15-18 due to high school interfering with my gaming but picked it back up in my 20's! Been gaming ever since and don't plan on stopping any time soon!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I forgot about the Atari 2600. We did have one of those, but I didn't get to play it much because everybody else always played it and I was little, so I generally got booted off.

I also had a couple of PC games early on. Adventure, Pitfall, and Sopwith. I loved those games.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    By the way, I hooked this up the other day to my tv. Yes, I STILL have mine, haha!

392046_10150593389602150_581372149_11026394_1924880582_n.jpg
  • ajbeans
    Options
    By the way, I hooked this up the other day to my tv. Yes, I STILL have mine, haha!

392046_10150593389602150_581372149_11026394_1924880582_n.jpg

DUDE. That rocks!
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The first games I played were on the NES. I actually asked for one on my 18th birthday years ago haha. I still have it but haven't played it in awhile. Some of my favorite games for it are Super Mario 3 (of course), Kid Icarus, and Paperboy.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    Atari 2600. I was at my Uncle's house and he had one. He let me play it, and i was forever changed afterwards. Since then it's been Coleco Vision (with Atari cartridge adapter), NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, N64, xBox 360, and various incarnations of my PC to play the latest and greatest.

I still have a working SNES, N64 and Genesis currently hooked up to the TV in my garage.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    With a brother ten years older than me, there was always a game system in the house, but I didn't really get hooked until I tried out Monster Hunter on my friend's PSP. I've put well over 1000 hours into the English releases , and just got an English patch so I can play the newest PSP version. After Monster Hunter I started with Call of Duty, and that is a slippery slope. Within 3 years I went from playing almost no games to owning a 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, a couple of PC games, my old N64, and and an NES that I picked up at a pawn shop.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    For computer-based games I think it was the ZX Spectrum for me :-) Probably about 30 years ago I would think!! Didn't look back, from the Spectrum to PC - I'm a keyboard & mouse gamer!

For RPGs, it was the Fighting Fantasy "choose your own adventure" style books. I was/am a bookworm anyway, so stories you controlled? Best idea ever!
  • Mahu77
    Mahu77 Posts: 34
    Options
    It all started with the Atari for me. I would play my aunt and uncle's Atari that was the size of an old VCR. I then received an Atari 2600 for my birthday followed by almost every other gaming console known to man.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I took an interest in gaming when I used to sit and watch my brother play games on the NES and SNES. At that time, I was probably about 5 or 6, and he was really careful with his systems----he was scared that I would damage them, so he wouldn't let me play at all. Instead, I was a spectator (I LOVED watching him perform fatalities on Mortal Kombat.. (I had a morbid little mind even then I suppose). Eventually, he got a Playstation 1 when it came out, and relinquished his SNES over to me. That was when I rushed out to buy all kinds of games (Lion King, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, plus the games he already owned).

Haven't looked back since. Also, I still have the SNES to this day..now if only I could find the games for it...