Yoga X...Everyone seems to hate it, but........

Options
Here's what I've found out about Yoga X. yes it's long and yes the last part really bugs me with the ohms, but I have to tell you that doing Yoga X with the program really does help with my flexibility and overall strength. When i did the program over a hear ago, we occasionally did Yoga X, but this time around I'm dedicated to doing it for the entire time (ok, maybe not the last 2 min with the ohms). I have really noticed a huge difference in my flexibility and I feel like i can run faster than when I didnt do P90X and just ran on those days scheduled for Yoga. Has anyone else made great strides with Yoga X??? Last night I actually did the crane for 35 sec off both feet and the rest of the min on one toe. I can't believe it.

Replies

• Timarling
    Options
    Well, I have to imagine that it ramps up endurance. I've noticed I am going deeper in my lunges and don't need to straighten my leg (aside from the tail-end of the right angle pose, where I'm just feeling all sorts of wobbly), especially when I compare my progress to my roommate who joins in every now and then. When the weather gets warmer I'll get back into running and see how well it translates.
  • shaunl669
    shaunl669 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sandy, you have inspired me to give it a try, I will commit to at least 30 mins of Yoga on the next scheduled day and see what happens. I'll report back.
  • spartacus69
    Options
    Heck, I watch it just to see Flexible Shauna ...

:)
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with Yoga. I am noticing flexibility and balance improvements. I do about an hour of it now when I only did about 10 minutes and stopped out of boredom when I first tried P90X. I am hoping to do the full 90 min soon.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for! I started X2 on Xmas Day (get it?) and I am digging the whole thing except the "new" Yoga X2. Tony took what is basically regular YogaX and cut it from 90 to 60 minutes. But it's still kinda the same but VERY fast. The thing I enjoy most about YogaX is that I can "zone out", just listen to the instruction and keep doing the vinyasas and just feel every muscle working. But with X2, it goes so quickly you really have to concentrate and feel like you're a half-step behind all the time. It is not relaxing at all. And, very uncharacteristically, Tony does not describe every movement. Things get quiet and you look up from the floor and see that they've already gone to Warrior One while you're still in Downward Dog and weren't prompted. So I'm doing X2 Phase2 right now, but when yoga day comes along - I put regular P90X Yoga X in and invest the 90 minutes.
  • jdleaser68
    Options
    Yoga X is no joke, and it does take time and patience to master. After missing about 13 weeks of activity due to a broken foot, I popped in the Yoga-X dvd last week, as an "indicator" of how far I've slipped since September. It was like I had never done it before, even though it was part of my regular program all last spring and summer. I tell my weight-lifting buddies, if you want a true test of your overall strength, take a shot at yoga.
  • jdthurm
    jdthurm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just started P90X this week and did my first yoga today. I loved it! I couldn't believe I was hitting 135 bpm doing yoga and I've got weeks to go before I really even get the form down. After the first try, I am hoping to get the kind of benefits you mention here.
  • synthetiquecindy
    Options
    I just completed my first yoga workout. I should have had it done last week but I kept substituted cardio x in its place.

I have to say that I enjoyed the series of movements but ugh... I found myself staring at the timer just waiting for it to end for the first 1/2 hr. The following movements/balance drills and mat exercises (after the first 30 mins) were much more enjoyable and challenging.

I recommend it! ^_^.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 and have to say I still don't likeYoga. I have to confess I haven't completed one fully yet through boredom. I prefer to stop and do an extra ARX. Tonight is Yoga for me, so I'm gonna do the whole thing... promise!
  • treatingmybodyright
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I agree, Yoga X seems long and boring when we all just want to get it done, but in some ways, I've started to welcome the calm and the quiet, especially now doing P90X, since the first time I did it I hadn't had my son yet. Getting time to breathe and focus on strength and flexibility is a treat, and yoga just gets into back muscles that no other workout can deliver. No matter how many pull-ups and weighted workouts I do, I am sore in the middle center of my back after yoga, and it feels good.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I totally nailed the crane pose last night during YogaX! I was able to hold it for the full minute-first time for me!! Yea!!! Also, the work out really does wonders for the flexibility. And we can all used more flexibility in our bodies.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So how did it go Shawn??
  • synthetiquecindy
    Options
    I'm on week 6 and have to say I still don't likeYoga. I have to confess I haven't completed one fully yet through boredom. I prefer to stop and do an extra ARX. Tonight is Yoga for me, so I'm gonna do the whole thing... promise!

Waiting to hear back from you! . How did it go?
  • Timarling
    Options
    So I'd been getting progressively better and better at Yoga with each passing week, or so I thought. Today I was just so much stiffer than usual, falling out of poses, and overall just not having all that good a time. Hope it was just a fluke and next week will go more smoothly. Anyone else have days that just seem 'off'?
  • joeyi
    joeyi Posts: 1
    Options
    i just finished my 3rd week and i noticed that yoga x became progressively easier each week...however i think part of the challenge with increasing flexibility is that the program is only structured to do it once a week (at least the first 3 weeks). my wife studies and practices yoga at least 3 times a week and from what i can garner, those extra days make a huge difference in flexibility and balance. tonight when i was going through legs and back, rather than kicks, i did straight leg so that i could stretch the hamstrings a bit more since tomorrow i'll get enough kicks with kenpo. yoga x is actually my favorite so far and the one that i look forward to the most....and i was able to do crane this week whereas the first week i just sat there in disbelief.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I love Yoga, it took some time to get use to, but man does it help you inevery other workout. This round I substituted Yoga X2, since it is shorter, and I just like it more. Those that complain of Yoga X should try a different yoga, I know your not runing or lifting heavy, but this is just as important if not more important than any other workout.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As out of shape as I am my flexibility and balance is just as bad. The first half you really get sick of downward dog. Right now I just exercise to lose weight. I am hoping at some point I actually like to work out.

Tony has some words about it too. http://youtu.be/V2-CLZLqo4A
  • reztib
    Options
    Not bad. She is easy on the eyes.
  • reztib
    Options
    Heck, I watch it just to see Flexible Shauna ...

:)

She is easy on the eyes.
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I hate Yoga...I get enough of it when I do Cardio X...