Discussion on premise, what could it make easier

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
Start out simple.

Biggest thing is trying to have your net calories really hit your BMR on avg for a week. Some days will be less, some more. But your metabolism should never see a need to massively slow down and waste free calorie burn.

So this means if you have a lot to lose, you automatically have factored in bigger deficit. (current maintenance 2500, future maintenance 1800)
Less to lose, smaller deficit. (current 2000 when you reach that point, future 1800) Which is considered safer and more sustainable.
Have a lot of specific workouts, but not much other daily activity - factored in.
Few if any specific workouts, but lots of daily activity - factored in.
Mix - factored in.

Don't have to worry about logging exercise calories. If you have accurate as possible estimates from good HRM, great, record in exercise notes, but log 1 calorie for the workout. This will allow you to spot check that indeed, on those workout days, maintenance calories minus known exercise calories is probably netting around BMR level. Big days under, light days above, no workout day is recovery.
The ExRx calculator estimates on activity is generally underestimated by a decent amount.
Plus the estimates are based on goal weight activity, not your increased burn now at current weight.

Another thought regarding the idea of eating back exercise calories the MFP way. Even if you have really accurate estimate from great Polar HRM, that 60 min say is really a total of what would have been normal activity calories during that time, plus extra from exercise. If the idea is to correctly eat exercise back, you must actually take the HRM calories minus the normal maintenance calories already figured for that time. This method avoids that need to be so exact.

On any day that is not a workout day, you get an increased day of calories ("spike day") if you think about it. At least if you have a heavy exercise routine and 1 day off. If you don't, you get a few spud days. If no specific workouts but daily activity, I guess you get constant mash days.

Since this is a weekly balance method, if you know you need a big splurge day for special occasion and possibly a lot of calories, lighten up by known amount day before, have big day, lighten up for the balance. MFP Diary daily goal will show green on light day, red on big day, just match up. Workout or non-workout day doesn't matter with weekly balance.

I'll add more as they come up, just wanted to place to discuss benefits folks find.

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but just wanted to post that I am getting confused on all of these different threads of the group that seem to say the same thing...can we either delete some or can you specify what the thread is supposed to be about? (i.e. I understand the ongoing results...general info for start up...etc, but the rest just seem to be repeats)
  • heybales
    Options
    Sorry, but just wanted to post that I am getting confused on all of these different threads of the group that seem to say the same thing...can we either delete some or can you specify what the thread is supposed to be about? (i.e. I understand the ongoing results...general info for start up...etc, but the rest just seem to be repeats)

Not sure if I did the sticky cleanup before or after your post, but that has been done somewhat.

Since the most confusion seems to be on getting decent estimate of daily activity, I expanded on that concept by itself.
    Should that go under the main "method" thread probably?

Never done a group before on here, so just not sure what is nice or expected. I did realize fewer sticky topics probably better.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    maintenance calories minus known exercise calories is probably netting around BMR level. Big days under, light days above, no workout day is recovery.
    The ExRx calculator estimates on activity is generally underestimated by a decent amount.
    Plus the estimates are based on goal weight activity, not your increased burn now at current weight. :smile:

My current BMR is 1533
    I ate 1935 calories
    I burned 764 calories exercise

so am i still eating too little or too much?
  • heybales
    Options
    My current BMR is 1533
    I ate 1935 calories
    I burned 764 calories exercise

so am i still eating too little or too much?

If that is an estimate of total weekly calories burned, divided by 7, then yes, the calculations of daily activity went wrong somewhere. You would be netting under your BMR probably every day, and your non-workout days would not really be a recovery.

If this is a spot check of just one day, like maybe the biggest workout day, and the others are not this extreme, that might be within range.
    Or if this is one day, and you only do this 3 times a week, with 1 other light day, that would still appear to work out.
    If this is one of 4 or 5 days, with the other 1 or 2 having workouts, still bad.

So there is an undercutting of the BMR by 362, if every day but one rest day is to this level, that rest day won't really be enough to make up the calorie deficit.

Sorry about the extra info, instead of just asking if this was one day or daily avg based on weekly totals, wanted to share the way it works in essence.

Once this is figured out though, pretty simple.

Except for that pesky logging of food!