These figures can't be right!

Options
13»

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned in the Fitbit thread, I just recently started with Fitbit and with MFP, so I only have about two weeks of data showing how active I really am/what my BMR is. I really like the "Future You" setup, but I'm having trouble believing these numbers. (I know I'm not alone in that. :) ) I'm also wondering (because of the integration with the Fitbit) what I should be setting all of my numbers to.

H: 5'6"
    CW: 157
    GW: 135

I lift weights twice a week, an hour each time. While I do rest between sets, I lift heavy and I am definitely knackered at the end of my workout.

I run three times a week, usually for 45-60 minutes at a time.

I'm on the computer a lot, although I putter around the house, drive the kids, do errands...

I watch TV for 2 hours a night and I sleep for 7.5 hours a night.

According to Heybales's spreadsheet the Mifflin numbers are:
    BMR 1274
    TDEE 1869

If these numbers are right, I set MFP manually to 1869, record exercise as 1, and ignore any Fitbit adjustment? And then every day try to eat between 1274 and 1869?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned in the Fitbit thread, I just recently started with Fitbit and with MFP, so I only have about two weeks of data showing how active I really am/what my BMR is. I really like the "Future You" setup, but I'm having trouble believing these numbers. (I know I'm not alone in that. :) ) I'm also wondering (because of the integration with the Fitbit) what I should be setting all of my numbers to.

H: 5'6"
    CW: 157
    GW: 135

I lift weights twice a week, an hour each time. While I do rest between sets, I lift heavy and I am definitely knackered at the end of my workout.

I run three times a week, usually for 45-60 minutes at a time.

I'm on the computer a lot, although I putter around the house, drive the kids, do errands...

I watch TV for 2 hours a night and I sleep for 7.5 hours a night.

According to Heybales's spreadsheet the Mifflin numbers are:
    BMR 1274
    TDEE 1869

If these numbers are right, I set MFP manually to 1869, record exercise as 1, and ignore any Fitbit adjustment? And then every day try to eat between 1274 and 1869?

Rest level sounds honest.
    Running was under Heavy for .88 x 3 and lifting under Moderate for 1 x 2?
    You got no regularly scheduled time estimates for shopping, cleaning, ect each week? Missing some there really.

1869 was in the green section - that that is DAILY goal, every day, not NET as MFP does it.
    That section states exactly what to setup on MFP.

You would log no exercise or 1 cal, you would ignore FitBit adjustments or de-sync.

FitBit is estimating your BMR with probably the Harris calc over on the right, and they base all calorie burn on that.

So what does FitBit show is your daily burn estimate, especially on rest days compared to workout days?

And only improvement to this would be getting an estimate of bodyfat% and plugging that in. Your estimated healthy BMR may be lower right now.

Then after 5 lbs loss, you measure again, and may have even more to eat!

Since this feeds your workouts, and you are working out a lot, you should expect body improvements over actual weight loss for awhile. Inches will melt away as your lean body mass builds up from lifting heavy.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not sure this group is active it doesnt look like anyone has posted for months but I will try anyway.

I need help with all these numbers!! I went to the spreadsheet and I cant even figure out how to enter numbers!! lol If someone would be willing to help me figure all of this out please message me or answer here . Thanks!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not sure this group is active it doesnt look like anyone has posted for months but I will try anyway.

I need help with all these numbers!! I went to the spreadsheet and I cant even figure out how to enter numbers!! lol If someone would be willing to help me figure all of this out please message me or answer here . Thanks!!

I still watch over it, and there are still ones doing it.

But since you get the numbers setup once, and if routine never changes, you never have to change anything, I only get some PM's from ones with reports. Not much to talk about.

So do you mean literally you can't enter numbers in the yellow cells, it says you can't edit them? In which case you must download as Excel file, or make a copy for yourself to use. If you have a Google account you can save it, if not you can fill it out and print it out for records. Then get it again when needed. Look under the web page spreadsheet File menu.

The only other numbers there that might be confusing is estimating your daily activity. Just use the tips and the example to see how to include most of everything.
    The order of the activities listed is the order that has the most impact or is easiest to figure out.
    Sleep is usually pretty known, get it right as far as weekday and weekend if different.
    The 2 big workout levels is usually easy, the walking level may be loser, and everything else falls under the sitting level.