Why BMR should be known as an important figure

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
This method is to protect someone from pre-maturely lowering their metabolism and BMR before they reach their goal weight.
Because otherwise, you can get the stalled weight loss and no appetite result.

Just in case the concept of BMR is not understood, my first post provided the link to read up on it, and snippet how it's the basic functions of human life.

More on that, taking care of all the cells in the body is part of that function, fat and muscle cells, and everything else.
You cannot get the BMR calories from fat, they must be taken in from outside. (well, the fat comes out to supply energy all the time, energy to take care of the fat cells, so just a tad lost in the inefficiency of that arrangement, but that must be made up from external sources).

If the needs of a healthy BMR are not met, the body has to lower the metabolism and basically set a new BMR to deal with lack of energy.

So lets say the healthy BMR calc was at 1600.
And as you set activity level to sleeping all day basically.
And then you eat at just 1300 calories.

Your body needs 1600, you gave it 1300. It will lower the metabolism over a time to 1300. Oh, you'll get some 300 calorie burn time in their daily for some period, progressively becoming less.

But now at lower level, you just lost out on a free 300 calorie burn everyday of mostly fat energy. That is 2100 calories a week, or 2/3 of a pound.

If you are actually exercising and not being honest about sleeping all day, say 300 cal worth of exercise on avg daily.

You are now netting 1000 calories for your body to take care of those basic functions. It will slow down. You will not be hungry for more. And weight loss will stall.

And now you are missing out on a free 600 calories of burn each and every day. That is now 4200 calories a week, 1.2 lbs a week.

Are you sure you want to continue this journey with a hampered metabolism that has been slowed down by underfeeding it?

Now while this method I've presented does have you ending up with the lower BMR and metabolism you will eventually reach, eating at maintenance that includes honest evaluation of avg daily activities including exercise protects it from lowering the BMR early.

Only a very obese person would see that not be true, and I contemplated perhaps saying to estimate 1 yr out. But it is also estimated that obese can handle a slight dip below BMR without harm, because their BMR is already high for supporting the extra weight.

Replies

• heybales
    Options
    One of the case studies I found interesting that shows just how suppressed someone could make their metabolism, their BMR.

How would you like it if someone said you had to exercise on avg 300 less calories per day? Just not allowed to go higher?

Would you think that could cut into your deficit and effect your weight loss goal?

You can do the same thing with your metabolism. This situation also shows what it took to get back to normal level, and even during that process, lost 5 lbs, and a bit more fat.

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004). A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week). A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories. An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender). After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted). The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

So her RMR went up over 300 calories. 2100 calories of free burn had been lost each week at the lowered BMR level.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can do the same thing with your metabolism. This situation also shows what it took to get back to normal level, and even during that process, lost 5 lbs, and a bit more fat.

After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating.
    x
    sorry for my chop job on this quote... this is pretty important to me. It totally seems to make sense that I'm under-eating, etc. BUT I really do have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, I'm on meds which change once in a while, I get my TSH tested quarterly (don't need any speeches from anyone about how TSH isn't all I should test, blah blahblah) and it seems like right now I have a dr. who is receptive to helping me optimize my meds. All that being said, I have a friend on a similar dosage who wears a BodyMedia FIT monitors that keeps the stats of what she burns, rests, etc.(like on Biggest Loser) and she has stated that really on bad-thyroid days her calorie burn rate for the entire day is super low, like 1400 - we're the same age, she's a few inches taller, we both weigh about the same too, so I'm assuming at age 39, 187lbs, 63 inches, (I have what I consider to be really good muscles compared to how short I am, it makes sense that I'm heavy on muscle, I can walk super fast, I have good endurance, my legs arms and *kitten* aren't really flabby, it's all boobs and stretched out former pregnancy/3 c-sections - belly (sorry TMI?) ... for example when I was at my skinniest weight I was 145 and a comfy size 6 or 8 jeans at 63 inches tall and my bones stuck out.) Sooooo, on a bad thyroid day or a good one, would it average out over the week if I went slightly lower than my future (ideal, not plagued by thyroid, never gonna happen "normal person self's" 1840 calories per day? (assuming of course my friend and I really are all that similar)

Why am I not asleep? I have a cold, my cough is keeping me up, along with the complex ideas of weight loss. I'm going to try and sleep.
  • heybales
    Options
    sorry for my chop job on this quote... this is pretty important to me. It totally seems to make sense that I'm under-eating, etc. BUT I really do have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, I'm on meds which change once in a while, I get my TSH tested quarterly (don't need any speeches from anyone about how TSH isn't all I should test, blah blahblah) and it seems like right now I have a dr. who is receptive to helping me optimize my meds. All that being said, I have a friend on a similar dosage who wears a BodyMedia FIT monitors that keeps the stats of what she burns, rests, etc.(like on Biggest Loser) and she has stated that really on bad-thyroid days her calorie burn rate for the entire day is super low, like 1400 - we're the same age, she's a few inches taller, we both weigh about the same too, so I'm assuming at age 39, 187lbs, 63 inches, (I have what I consider to be really good muscles compared to how short I am, it makes sense that I'm heavy on muscle, I can walk super fast, I have good endurance, my legs arms and *kitten* aren't really flabby, it's all boobs and stretched out former pregnancy/3 c-sections - belly (sorry TMI?) ... for example when I was at my skinniest weight I was 145 and a comfy size 6 or 8 jeans at 63 inches tall and my bones stuck out.) Sooooo, on a bad thyroid day or a good one, would it average out over the week if I went slightly lower than my future (ideal, not plagued by thyroid, never gonna happen "normal person self's" 1840 calories per day? (assuming of course my friend and I really are all that similar)

If it seems you bounce from below only up to calculated BMR right now, or even below that, then I think some of the math you are doing is right on. If fluctuations are really that frequently, and not weeks at a time at one level or another, the weekly balance would help you out.

For your friend, if your current calculated BMR's really do seem to match (if not figure out what % off), and your level of thyroid deviance could be similar, then that comparison could work.
    Ask her to look at her BodyMedia Calorie burn while sleeping, for cals/min burned, just hovering over the lines. Find the lowest value in a few night that is generally an elevated night, and then find the lowest in generally lowered nights. You always want the lowest figure, true sleeping. Just want the 2 sample types of nights. Confirm she picks nights she did not sleep cold or warm as far as blankets and air temp, even if she did feel one way or another.

Well, with a low and high range of cals/min sleeping, times 1440, gives daily BMR (do the % off if your calculated BMR's did not match). Not sure I trust the device for that totally after looking at some studies, but best way for you to start.

So now with your possible range of BMR, pick middle if you think that's where you are normally at, slide one way or another otherwise. I guess if you generally feel up, go high, or opposite.

Now on the ExRx site calculator - http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    Put in 24 hrs of rest initially and your current weight, and change the weight around until that BMR you picked is calculated. So now you know the difference between your hopeful avg, and the weight of someone that would normally have it. Record that.
    Now put in your goal weight minus the same difference.
    For example, if you found the BMR should probably be 1400, you discover that someone 30 lbs less than your current weight has same 1400.
    Then you put in goal weight minus same 30 lbs. Hope that makes sense. I'm sick too.

Now use the topic that describes setting your activity levels in that calculator correctly.
    And the balancing and the averaging the week does should still see you hitting safely the max you can do, and tweaking a bit more out of it too.

I know there are some assumptions there. But if you feel safe comparing her known figures to your level, may just work well enough.
  • Jamie65toloose
    Jamie65toloose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I new to all of this. I have been struggling to loose weight, and I really think I am not eating enough. On here, it says I should et 1330 calories, I weigh 234 and am 5'9. I usually work out and burn 400-500 calories a day/5 days a week. I have only lost 6 pounds within a month and a half. Should I eat more? On the website you guys quoted, it says my BMR is 1860 and calories burned is 1240, for a total of 3100 calories. PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much!
  • heybales
    Options
    I new to all of this. I have been struggling to loose weight, and I really think I am not eating enough. On here, it says I should et 1330 calories, I weigh 234 and am 5'9. I usually work out and burn 400-500 calories a day/5 days a week. I have only lost 6 pounds within a month and a half. Should I eat more? On the website you guys quoted, it says my BMR is 1860 and calories burned is 1240, for a total of 3100 calories. PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much!

MFP set goal calories based on your goal weight loss per week, if too aggressive, you could indeed be eating too little.
    With current BMR at 1860 (MFP probably close), you probably selected 2lb / wk, which means your maintenance on MFP was probably 2330, NOT counting exercise. When you count in eating exercise calories, maintenance would have been probably just as high as you found on ExRx calculator.
    Hence the reason for this method.

And if you followed the topic on how to do the method, and the topic on how to accurately setup activity levels and times, then this method will protect you from that.

If you are thinking about using this method, reread the locked sticky on how to do it, because you entered in current weight, first step is using goal weight. So now your future BMR and maintenance are a bit less, like probably close to 500 less if 140 was your goal for instance.

Just run back through those topic steps, especially on nailing your regular weekly activity.

If you have been regularly underfeeding your BMR, then you'll need to raise your eating level slowly, like an extra 150-200 cal each day for a week, and then the week after, ect, till you are up at slightly higher level. Hopefully won't take long for body to realize it can speed the metabolism up.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you by the way for all the work you're doing. My brain doesn't currently think this way but I'm studying! Checked out your profile and YES babies turn into little people to keep up with... excuse me while I go do that now!