Aha moment: a binge is a SERIES of choices, not just one

Options
StrongGwen
StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
watching a movielate last night ( "Moneyball" with Brad Pitt--awesome!) I made a series of choices that resulted in a binge of about 1000 high-fat and high-sodium caloires. The only good things about the whole episode are 1) I chose foods that would be healthy if eaten one portion at a time instead of 5 portions at once, 2) I stopped before I ate even more, and 3) hopefully I have increased awareness next time I try to fall back into this old habit. Also, I did keep the "evidence" to count this mornign so that I could accurately enter what I had pigged out on.

There were so many points at which I could have stopped and made different choices. I could have not had a snack at all, knowing that I'd eaten plenty for one day. I could have chosen a high-bulk and less calorie-dense food instead of eating pistachios and raisins. I could have served up a single portion of one or even both and put the bags away and out of reach. I could have stopped at any one of the gazilliion bites I put into my mouth. The key here is that I was not "out of control." I always had control and made really bad choices.

It's not the end of everything. There is no logic to now saying F***it all I'll never succeed. It does not mean I'm a failure destined to be a flabby mess for the rest of my life. The consequences are obvious, including that I will want to do extra workouts today to help balance myself. The temptation was so strong to pretend it never happened, but logging everything is an important step in the process for me.

Replies

• 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    That is very true. It is wonderful that you learned from this experience and put it into words so that all of us can learn from it too. Yesterday I ate two brownies out of pure stress. I was so mad at myself. I called my friend, Carrielyn62, and she reminded me to let that moment go and not let it ruin the rest of my day. We agreed that I had to make sure to get my workout in and to make sure to log those calories. I think you did a very nice job. :flowerforyou: