Trainer Rides

Options
sheclimber
sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
What do you do while on the trainer? I just usually ladder up progressively in a harder gear every set number of minutes, usually 10, while keeping my cadence over 80 and try and stay on for as long as possible before I go mad. Oh and I take it as a good time to finally watch a movie since I never really have time to watch movies...but it has to be an action movie (Burlesque or others with good music also have worked well) to keep me moving and motivated.

Replies

• babytis
    babytis Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same as you on my trainer. Except I progress to the next gear about every 5 min. Last night I watched The Help while on my trainer for about 45 min. I think your right an action movie or something with great music would help. Normally I have a hard time getting on my trainer. Duties of home, the kids and what not are till present. Thats what I love about the road, I'm outdoors and I leave reality behind for a few hours:) Also when I'm on the road I have no problem being in the saddle for hours and hours.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've got a Tacx Genius VR Trainer, so the brake is applied depending on which route you decide to take...

http://youtu.be/qcxq-fGN30w
  • sheclimber
    Options
    I pretty much do the same as you on my trainer. Except I progress to the next gear about every 5 min. Last night I watched The Help while on my trainer for about 45 min. I think your right an action movie or something with great music would help. Normally I have a hard time getting on my trainer. Duties of home, the kids and what not are till present. Thats what I love about the road, I'm outdoors and I leave reality behind for a few hours:) Also when I'm on the road I have no problem being in the saddle for hours and hours.

I loved The Help, but yeah that would not have kept me motivated on the trainer. I love being outdoors too and can't wait for this snow to melt. I'm horrible about working out at home, like you said there are too many distractions, but for some reason I can usually get on the trainer if I have too. Maybe it's the promise of some tv time and I'm attached to the bike, and it's harder to stop and go put laundry in the dryer, check and see if that client emailed me back, whatever.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I either use my training dvds or crank up the music and ride intervals. I let the music kind of dictate what I do but my goal is to keep the heart rate up no matter if it is speed or resistance.

When I use my music I usually watch the Food Network at the same time. :blushing:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for the Tacx Virtual Reality trainers - I've got the slightly less fancy than Clogsy71's - the Bushido - linked into my laptop and a projector system in the garage. So, over the last few days while the weather's been terrible, i've rode most of the 2010 Etape Du Tour without leaving my garage. Brilliant idea, slightly marred by not completely robust software, but when you get it working, theres nothing else that can actually keep me on the trainer for 2 hours or more at a time...

Got a hard afternoon booked in, I'll be the fat lad with long hair climbing the Col du Tourmalet... if you see me,give me a wave, then kindly explain what the hell are you doing in my Garage :laugh:
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    We have the Tacx Fortius, and I got hammered by Alpe d'Huez last night. Would have done loads better but my backside was sore :embarassed:
    It's a great bit of kit, all yolu have to do is pedal, it's as easy or as hard as the route you want to do x
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Got a hard afternoon booked in, I'll be the fat lad with long hair climbing the Col du Tourmalet... if you see me,give me a wave, then kindly explain what the hell are you doing in my Garage :laugh:
    [/quote]

I love this lol x
  • sheclimber
    Options
    Sounds cool but I'm not really looking to spend more $$ on another trainer when I have one, and use it only in the the most desperate of weather situations. More looking for training programs to do when I'm forced to stay inside.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    TheSufferfest.com workouts are AWESOME for making the time go fast AND getting in a really good, HARD workout. I believe they're about $11/download. Then we burn them to a DVD and play them on our TV. We've got about a half-dozen of them, now. Really fun and motivating, UNLIKE Coach Troy. I want to shove his stopwatch up his rear. I really am not a fan of the Spinervals workouts.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It depends on what part of the racing season I am in. But my workouts include fast pedals, steady state intervals, and stomps. Each one taxes a different system. Some workouts are VO2 max, some are lactate threshold, some are all out, some are endurance.
  • sheclimber
    Options
    Thanks Zoom I'll have to check that out.
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    I generally like to follow the structure of a training DVD while on the trainer so I know I'm making the most of my time. If I'm on my own, however, I'll do single leg pedaling drills and spin-ups to increase my pedaling efficiency. The trainer is a terrific way to work on smoothing your stroke, activating all of the muscles involved in the stroke and to work on increasing cadence. After working intently on this stuff, I can now hold a cadence of 120 for a bit and I've ironed the dead spots out of my pedaling. No more wasted energy equals a faster ride!
  • sheclimber
    Options
    I generally like to follow the structure of a training DVD while on the trainer so I know I'm making the most of my time. If I'm on my own, however, I'll do single leg pedaling drills and spin-ups to increase my pedaling efficiency. The trainer is a terrific way to work on smoothing your stroke, activating all of the muscles involved in the stroke and to work on increasing cadence. After working intently on this stuff, I can now hold a cadence of 120 for a bit and I've ironed the dead spots out of my pedaling. No more wasted energy equals a faster ride!

120!?!? That is impressive! I do like working on form and pedal stroke on the trainer, makes a big difference when I go outside. Then by the end of summer I think I lose it again.