Exercise Calories???

Options
I am not sure if I am understanding this right. My calorie goal is set to 1744. I found my BMR on another calculator (tried several of them actually) since MFP's calculator is a little low, I think because it doesn't take into account that I am a half of an inch taller and only allows me to say I am 5'3". MFP was listing my BMR at 1365 and all the other websites were well over 1400. I chose the number 1453 because it was on the lower end of the spectrum and 2 or 3 calculators from different sites came up with the same number.

My question is this. I have been exercising a lot lately, trying to burn over 1000 calories a day. Does this mean I have to eat all those calories in order to leave a number between 500 and 1000 in green at the end of the day? That will put me around 2000 calories to eat today. Is it necessary to eat all those calories? Should I not be exercising so much? or should I just relax and enjoy them because I am really enjoying my exercise. I eat pretty much only healthy food anyway. Does my body absolutely need that fuel to function at it's best level?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Lara

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    so my calories for the day are 1744 maintenance, i exercised 1226 calories away (HRM verified), does that mean I have to eat at least 1970 calories today? I will have no problems doing it, I just wanted to make sure this is right? Thanks in advance. Also if my maintenance calories are set to 1744 and I do not exercise, I could only eat 744 calories for the day if I wanted to lose 2 pounds at the end of the week? Are my calculations right?
  • SIimMama
    SIimMama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is to ALWAYS eat at least your BMR...And then if your exercise brings you to more than a 1000cal deficit, you need to eat the difference. Does that help?
  • so_long_blubber
    so_long_blubber Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From my understanding 709 of your exercice calories don't have to be eaten as this amount would keep you at a deficit of 1000

Maintain = 1744
    BMR = 1453
    BMR + 1000 cals = 2453 - 1774 = 709

So looking at your example for today you would eat 1453 + 517 (remainder of exercise cals) = 1970
    Which is the same amount as you have calculated so I would say your right on the button :-)

As for non exercise days I wouldn't leave a deficit of 1000 only because your body would find it very difficult to function with only 744 calories. Thats less than half of your BMR and could harm your health and weight loss goals. But thats my personal opinion.

Hope this helps a little
    Good luck!!
    Good luck!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    thanks I thought I got it right. I hope it works. I have gained a little weight doing it this way so far but maybe it is my body getting used to not starving anymore and it is TOM time too. I like to know how many exercise calories I can eat so I hope this method works for me and my body.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I like that this way encourages exercising too.