Anyone else getting their rears handed to them by Kinect Adv

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
So I'm fat from being in a wheelchair and getting lazy while there- so now that I can walk again I got a Kinect to work out. Downloaded the Your Shape Fitness Evolved demo and.... couldn't do ten minutes of it. :laugh:

So I tried Kinect Adventures instead- holy COW is this game kicking me around! Anyone else using KA as HIIT training for the out of shape?

I start with bubble pop for a game, then go to the river rapids game for five minutes, then reflex ridge (my nemesis- all that jumping!!) for five minutes, then to bubble pop, then the ridge again- ending on bubble pop or the leaky tank game. By the end I can barely stand up I'm so pooped- I used to run on the treadmill and wouldn't be this exhausted. This kiddy game is completely kicking my ..well.. y'know!

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We have UFC Trainer, but Kinect Adventures is so much better a workout. Its fun and you really burn calories.
    UFC requires to much work on your back and the kinect gets confused.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding. I was wondering 'Oh crap- does no one else find KA difficult in the slightest?? Not even REFLEX RIDGE???" lol

I tried a trial of the Your Shape Fitness Evolved but I'm not ready for that yet I think- the KA is turning out to be an amazing HIIT workout. I'm burning tons of cals jumping around my living room. Have you tried YSFA? What did you think?
  • jmobashrn11
    Options
    I have Your Shape, and I love it! I'm planning on using it a lot more.

KA also kicks me and my fiance's butts! It's a really fun thing to do together, though. We committed to do it at least once a week (or rather, I asked him to commit that to me since it was my idea) and it's a great way to get your feet wet. I have a feeling that it will get my fiance really thinking about exercise.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I have Your Shape, and I love it! I'm planning on using it a lot more.

KA also kicks me and my fiance's butts! It's a really fun thing to do together, though. We committed to do it at least once a week (or rather, I asked him to commit that to me since it was my idea) and it's a great way to get your feet wet. I have a feeling that it will get my fiance really thinking about exercise.

Isn't it so great to have a workout to share at home- no driving to a gym class? Love it! Let me know how you get along with YSFE- I'm almost to the point where I could use it!
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I play KA with my 4yo son. He picks & I try to keep up. I last about 30 min. :sad:

I have YSFE. I like the mini games. I tried to do the guided workout & was sore for days. I have yet to do the next set.

I also have Zumba Rush, Kinect Sports and a few others that have been collecting dust.
  • prismblitz
    prismblitz Posts: 196
    Options
    Every time I play KA, I'm pouring sweat every time when I'm done. Fantastic core workout.

Check out Fruit Ninja if you want a really frantic cardio workout for your arms!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Kinect is my primary workout trainer. When I first started on the weight loss & fitness turnaround - every program/game handed my behind to me and yes "especially" KA Reflex Ridge.

But keep at it and you definitely can turn that around. These days the only time RR really belts me around a bit is if I do the advanced non stop for 20+ mins - where the legs start giving way & the ticker is going like the hammers :D

If I want to really get some quick burn going even now I still go for RR or Fighters Uncaged (horrible game though) & Target practice in Sports is a killer too.
  • yamdad
    yamdad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Kinect boxing and then a half hour of volleyball and I'm whooped
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    Greetings. I am a fan of Kinect Adventures, particularly Reflex Ridge. I prefer exercise that is engaging and not so boring, which is why I like the obstacle courses of Reflex Ridge. The other games tend to be a bit kiddy or the sensitivity (raft game) is way off and terribly irritating.

It takes about 30 minutes to go through all of the Reflex Ridge courses from the free play menu, however when I started it was hard as hell to do the third set of courses. I have problems with recurring bilateral tibial stress fractures, so I have to ice my legs after doing Reflex Ridge. I am more active than several of my average sized friends and colleagues, so when I get them to do the courses, they have difficulty traversing obstacles. It took me a while to be able to get through the courses without hitting everything and messing up the timing. I've got two gold medals and the other 7 are platinum, so I am working my hiney off and have gotten better with my timing. The last two courses I am usually spent by the time I get to them and they are the most intensive on jumping and timing.

As for your issues with the game, I hope they have been resolved now. If not, I may suggest selecting the easy courses until you are more physically able to do the intermediate and advanced levels. Every now and then check to see how you do on the next level up of course to see if you are ready to move up.

My concern with the game is that I have no idea how to report the exercise as it isn't an option in the drop down list for MFP. Does anyone know how many calories you burn going through the individual Kinect Adventure games? I haven't found anything published. The game is an obstacle course based on track and field, but it doesn't jump enough to be jump roping and it is certainly more intensive than walking...
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I started with Kinect Boxing and FE2012 and it was great, migrated to dance central 2 and added Fighter uncaged. It kick started my diet and exercise. Started logging calories. really fun. Find out I don't care much for Hip Hop music, that's a lot of them in DC2. So I migrated to Zumba Core fitness, did it non stop for a month. Now I'm going to a real zumba class. and doing weight training. When I can't go to the gym, I do Fe2012 with weights and still kick my *kitten*,
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Spend some money in a polar Heart rate monitor, It will use your weight and calculate your real calories spent, I used it everytime I exercise. Then use the add exercise option and input your personal type of activity. If you are serious about weight loss and want to track your calories, This is the only accurate option.
    Greetings. I am a fan of Kinect Adventures, particularly Reflex Ridge. I prefer exercise that is engaging and not so boring, which is why I like the obstacle courses of Reflex Ridge. The other games tend to be a bit kiddy or the sensitivity (raft game) is way off and terribly irritating.

It takes about 30 minutes to go through all of the Reflex Ridge courses from the free play menu, however when I started it was hard as hell to do the third set of courses. I have problems with recurring bilateral tibial stress fractures, so I have to ice my legs after doing Reflex Ridge. I am more active than several of my average sized friends and colleagues, so when I get them to do the courses, they have difficulty traversing obstacles. It took me a while to be able to get through the courses without hitting everything and messing up the timing. I've got two gold medals and the other 7 are platinum, so I am working my hiney off and have gotten better with my timing. The last two courses I am usually spent by the time I get to them and they are the most intensive on jumping and timing.

As for your issues with the game, I hope they have been resolved now. If not, I may suggest selecting the easy courses until you are more physically able to do the intermediate and advanced levels. Every now and then check to see how you do on the next level up of course to see if you are ready to move up.

My concern with the game is that I have no idea how to report the exercise as it isn't an option in the drop down list for MFP. Does anyone know how many calories you burn going through the individual Kinect Adventure games? I haven't found anything published. The game is an obstacle course based on track and field, but it doesn't jump enough to be jump roping and it is certainly more intensive than walking...
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love Kinect Adventures. I love it so much I used it last night to keep the kids I was babysitting busy and they loved it too. They were also exhausted when their mom came to get them. I also play it with my husband. It's a great game.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The Kinect is kicking my backside, frontside, and inside out... I am on day two and feel it more than any gym has ever done for me. I like Kinect Adventures, but does anyone know if you can set it to eliminate jumping. My landlords downstairs don't care for the 266 pounds of me sounding like I am coming through the ceiling...
  • trinity9058
    Options
    I just squat down and then stand up fast like I really am jumping lol. Do you play anything else on Kinect?
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just squat down and then stand up fast like I really am jumping lol. Do you play anything else on Kinect?

hmm I will have to try that! I bought the Biggest Loser and hated it... it required too much space, or more space than I have available. I have another exercise one that I like (shape up or something?) Those are the main ones I play for exercise.
  • trinity9058
    Options
    hmm I will have to try that! I bought the Biggest Loser and hated it... it required too much space, or more space than I have available. I have another exercise one that I like (shape up or something?) Those are the main ones I play for exercise.
    [/quote]

I play the Dance Central games. If you want a workout, go with those. They never fail to make me sweat, and not just a little lol
  • JanetteBradleyMahnken
    Options
    sorry, I don't have one of those units to work out with. But I have a Wii system that I use a lot, using my Wii Fit Plus for it.