Tall ladies, do you find it takes longer to notice when you

Options
I'm 6ft and I started out at 259lbs. I've lost 13lbs so far but see/feel no difference. Could it be to do with being tall? To be honest I don't think I saw the weight going on either!

Replies

• CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know when I was younger, I could eat what ever I wanted and I didn't notice when I started to put on weight and stopped growing. I think it is a bit harder/takes longer to notice when we lose weight.. Just cause we're taller. If that makes sense?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take longer - especially at first (as you get closer to your goal, each pound gets more noticeable).
    On the plus side, it also takes more weight to make us look fat.
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am 12 down and can't really tell the difference. My clothes fit a little better but not really seeing anything happen. Worse yet, no one else has noticed either. :grumble:
  • Hikaru001
    Options
    I feel proud that I've lost almost 20 pounds, but I can't see it. It is frustrating, and can easily discourage tall people. We all have to try hard and push through until not only you- but everyone can see a difference.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I always say a shorter woman can lose five pounds and you notice it right away, on me losing five pounds is like a teaspoon in an ocean.
  • bballmom20
    Options
    I've lost 15 so far and I can tell a difference in my clothes but no one else has noticed yet. :noway: I'm kinda bummed.
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think at first, it's really hard to notice. Maybe because the weight has a larger area to 'fall from', so to speak, but after a bit, it started being quite noticeable on me (part of that was actually wearing clothes that fit, though). But I do also agree that we get it easier on the way up. It takes longer to notice we've put on weight and people don't often believe how much I weigh because I "carry it well." I think it's just the height illusion, though.

Can be a bad thing, too-- if you aren't paying attention, you can suddenly realize you've packed on way too much!

Edit: Oh, and for me, I think it was around 20-25 pounds when people first started noticing, but ever since then, I've had it noticed all the time. So there is still hope!
  • ruthiebabe78
    Options
    It definitely takes longer to notice. I just did my weigh-in with my trainer and she didn't notice any change on me. As she was measuring me, she asked if my jeans were getting too big. With a big grin I replied, "YEP!"
  • OKfreebird
    OKfreebird Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Actually, I just came down to that reality that because I am taller, therefore a little bigger than most women, it is going to take a lot of weight until anyone says anything or notices anything. I had lost 10 lbs, but to be quite honest, it doesn't look like it. But on the plus side, the clothes are starting to feel looser. Just yesterday, I put on a belt on a pair of jeans and found that I went down a notch on my belt! I know how you feel and yes it is very frustrating that you are working your butt off at the gym and watching what you eat and you are making progress weight wise or inches wise but nobody notices. Just be patient and keep pounding away and don't give up on the healthy lifestyle you are developing. Over time those 13 lbs may turn into 30 lbs or even 40 lbs and before your know it people will start to notice. Just don't give up. Because ultimately you are on this weight loss journey for you and nobody else, so if you notice the progress within yourself, than that is all that matters.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I don't feel as disheartened anymore :)
  • Pporter26
    Pporter26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have also lost 13lbs (started at 238). Luckily most of that weight is from my stomach (thank goodness for small favors :smile: ) so it is more noticeable.

the most important thing is that I notice.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think it does take longer to notice results when you have more to lose and are taller. It took 25 pounds before anyone noticed my weight loss, even hubby!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Yes. People didn't even notice that I had lost weight until I had lost over 30 lbs. And it forever for me to go down 3 pant sizes!!! Now everyone notices but it really messed with my head at first.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    ultimately you are on this weight loss journey for you and nobody else, so if you notice the progress within yourself, than that is all that matters.

AMEN!
    Do it for you! For your health... all the rest is just bonus!
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    I'm down well over ten pounds and although I can see the small changes, no one else can yet, Nice to know other tall ladies have the same issue. We are lucky that we look like we weigh less that we actually do:)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You see yourself every day so the changes aren't noticeable to you. Take measurements once a month and you will see changes. Also, you'll start to notice changes by how your clothes fit.
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've lost 27 pounds and though some say they notice, I'm still wearing some of the same clothes. I would have thought they'd be huge on me, but they are just looser. Hoping that by the time I reach 70 I WILL look different!!
  • MLynn606
    Options
    until I got uncomfortable I only noticed when I had to buy bigger jeans and that was about every 5 years or so so didn't alarm me. I am prepared, thanks to your posts, to have it seem like forever to notice the difference in reverse. Thanks for the heads up.
  • MLynn606
    Options
    Yes, it does take longer - especially at first (as you get closer to your goal, each pound gets more noticeable).
    On the plus side, it also takes more weight to make us look fat.

well said. I could always count on winning bets from anyone who wanted to guess weights. I was a 113 lb 4th grader. 10 lbs heavier than my teacher. Nobody ever guesses the real weight of a tall woman. That is one upside. :wink:
  • becca0102
    Options
    Yes!!! I've lost about 26lbs and I've only gone down one dress size. But as somebody has already mentioned, the plus side is that you can put on more weight before anyone notices either :) I put on 3 stone between the ages of 17 and 20 but I was only 2 dress sizes bigger.