Horrible pain

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
Hey guys,

I have hypermobility syndrome.

I hurt my shoulder about a year ago and its exasperated when I study or write or sit or do anything with my hands. I went to the doctor here at my college about a month and a half ago and he gave me pain killers and a referral to physical therapy. I have been doing my physical therapy twice a week and doing my exercises at home. I am still in extreme pain some days. I have gone back to the doctor once to get my pain pills. At first I was on vicodin which didn't help much and now I am on tylenol with codeine which seems to help if I take 4 pills. Anyway, I have an appointment to go back to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully get some more pain killers. The only issue is that because it is a school doctor I am worried that they will stop giving me pain killers at some point, they don't like giving out addictive medicine.

So to sum up, I am thinking about making an appointment with a private provider so I don't have to worry about not getting medicine when I need it. I want to go to an orthopedist, because they specialize in joints and such, but when I search for orthopedists I only find orthopedic surgeons, and obviously I don't need a surgeon. What kind of doctor should I make an appointment with? I already have a physical therapist that I go to and I like them. I just need someone to give me pain killers, the pain is unbearable some days. I just want to cry.

Replies

• peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    I can totally understand your frustration. Do you think maybe you can get referred to a pain clinic for pain management? My guess is that is probably your best bet as far as having somebody that is understanding as far as what your needs are and giving you the appropriate prescription. A lot of other doctors tend to get caught up in the current issues that the country has with the over-prescribing of pain killers and worry about their reputation and licenses. If you have any doubt or worries, I would definitely ask about going to a pain clinic. I had a lot of issues with pain and had to go to one for about 3 months for the same reason- my primary doctor just wasn't comfortable handling any longer term pain management. It made him AND me feel a lot better. Good luck and I really do hope you feel better soon.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    I can totally understand your frustration. Do you think maybe you can get referred to a pain clinic for pain management? My guess is that is probably your best bet as far as having somebody that is understanding as far as what your needs are and giving you the appropriate prescription. A lot of other doctors tend to get caught up in the current issues that the country has with the over-prescribing of pain killers and worry about their reputation and licenses. If you have any doubt or worries, I would definitely ask about going to a pain clinic. I had a lot of issues with pain and had to go to one for about 3 months for the same reason- my primary doctor just wasn't comfortable handling any longer term pain management. It made him AND me feel a lot better. Good luck and I really do hope you feel better soon.
    110% agree !