just started a juice fast - way under calories!

Options
Today was my first day using juice as my source of nutrition, although I did have a serving of broccoli for dinner while my family was eating. They had pizza in addition to the broccoli and the juice I made. I feel pretty good considering that I started today even though I am getting over a cold. Or I should say I started today because I am tired of having a cold, and if I'm not going to feel my best anyway, I may as well give this a shot! Anyway, I am way under the golden 1200 calorie mark, but I don't know how I would go over that while juicing. I am certainly not hungry, which is great, but hopefully I don't send myself into starvation mode! I've made some yummy juices though and I'm thrilled that my 8 and 11 year old kids and my husband like them!

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My calories today were 416
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    How did you work out the cals in your juice?

I'm starting of slowly so I can rid my home of the food I have here....

For breakfast I had 3 apples and 3 carrots....The cals for this juice was 301.....This was very filling and yummy....

I had a problem working them out so I put up a post regarding it.......
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    I just included the whole food ingredients, so I know that I am overestimating the calories and fiber but that's the only thing I thought to do. I am loving the juice! This morning my husband and I shared a blend of bok choy, kale, asian pear and a little lemon -- really good, but very few calories. (seal57 I didn't see your post regarding working out the cals?) I ate some celery and some dehydrated (reduced fat) peanut butter earlier, so this is not a pure fast. I am still feeling the effects of my cold / sinus infection, but it is almost gone I think (which might have happened even without the juice), and I have not been really hungry or low on energy. So this is my second day and I guess it is so far, so good . . .
  • seal57
    Options
    Ok, when I first worked out mine I didn't it wrong....That's why I posted regarding....

There is 4 cals per gram of fibre....Find out how many grams of fibre in fruit/veg and multiply it by 4.....
    1 g of fiber per 48 g of apple and 1 g of fiber for every 39 g of carrot. Thus, I estimate you had about 7 g of fiber in the carrot and about 10 g of fiber from the apple (assuming the apple weight excludes the core). This would give you 17 g of fiber, and therefore 68 calories. Thus, 369 - 68 = 301 calories

That's how one guy worked out the cals for my 3 apples and 3 carrots......

I'm still thinking if I will do the complete fast as it would be a bit hard when I'm working.....I'm a taxi driver and I can't always get home for a meal......I'm take time off next month and will do a few days of just juice......I need to find something that I can freeze my juice in and do a few days of juicing at once to save time......
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Today I am down 2 lbs from when I started. I am not going to worry too much about accurately counting the calories because I am way under on just juice and I don't want to spend a lot of time calculating when it won't make a meaningful difference. I have had some food so I am not on a pure fast. If I was by myself I might have skipped the food, but I like to sit down with my family at dinner time and I don't want my kids to interpret my not eating as a diet. I have my juice and have also had steamed plain vegetables with them. I also usually make breakfasts on the weekends and enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal this morning with my boys while my husband is out of town. I am going right back to the juice for the rest of the day though, again with the possiblilty of steamed plain vegetables come dinner time. I am excited about the weight loss but I really see this as a health gain rather than a weight loss process!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Still at it. I had some steel cut oats with my boys this morning but just juice after that. My oldest (11) made our juice this morning! He mixed frozen mixed berries with an apple and several oranges, then put it in the blender with some bananas. He poured it into my hustand's tall beer glasses and I put a wedge of lemon on each glass -- fancy and delicious! My lunch juice was a can of diced tomatoes with the liquid reserved mixed with carrots, celery, kale and spinach with some salt and pepper at the end, not original but yummy.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Tonight I resisted homemade macaroni and cheese with sausage and I even helped make it! I did eat the side dishes of steamed plain broccoli and raw apple slices though. Calories for the day so far (and I think I'm done but may have another juice this evening) are about 800.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Down 2+ more pounds, energy still good, no real cravings. This is an interesting experiment! No wonder I was always on the chubby side if my body needs so little food while being provided with so much nourishment!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Not so low on the calories yesterday (1316)! I went to lunch with friends and had eggplant delight without the cheese at a mediterranean restaurant. No ill effects and now right back to the juice.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work!! I was always way under my calories too when juicing, but I was just inputting the whole ingredients to make it easy to log. You're doing so much good for your body that the calories are negligible.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Thank you rm830 for the support! I didn't keep up the great work because Valentines Day came along. My husband was working out of town but the kids and I made our own 'mini' pizzas. I should have looked at the calories first because 'mini' in size does not mean single serving and just the crust had a ton of calories even though I only had vegetables on mine - no cheese. Then my husband came home and we all had sweets for dessert. So I not only ate my 1200 calories, I blew by that plus another 1000! Started today with juice again though and will consider yesterday a cheat day. One thing I've noticed when I do eat grains is major sleepiness afterwards -- I never noticed that prior to juicing. Anyway, we are going on a family vacation soon so I will not be logging in or probably eating as well as I might otherwise. I plan on going back to juice when I get back. I never had a specific length of time in mind when I started, but it has been a worthwhile experiment and I think I will include juice as part of my lifestyle going forward.
  • byronguy74
    Options
    Not that I am a juicing expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do have a couple of questions and comments.

I did a juice fast from January 1st till January 12th (I was aiming for 10 days but 11 days just kinda happened) and have been mixing in lunches and dinners a few times a week along with the juicing since then. I have never gotten anywhere near the calories that MFP says when I am just juicing. If you search the food database you can find most things entered along the lines of "generic apple juiced" or "generic spinach juiced", etc. Those are what I use to count my calories as opposed to weighing everything before and after juicing.

@seal57, you have 300 calories for your three apples and three carrot juice. By using the juice entries that others have made on MFP your three apples and three carrots have more calories than all of the juice I have all day! By using the values that others have entered most of my juices have between 115 and 150 calories each. I usually use 1-2 apples (peeled and cored) to make about 4 ounces of juice, 3-4 carrots to make about 3 ounces of carrot juice, 2 packed cups of spinach to make about 2 ounces of spinach juice, and about 2 cups of cabbage to make about 3-4 ounces of cabbage juice. I usually dont measure the stuff going in I just measure the amount of juice I get out of the stuff so the previous measurements are just my best guesses. According to the entries on MFP for the amounts of juice I got out and drank it was under 150 calories for this 12 ounce drink. I have seen where others have posted that they get 2000+ calories a day with juicing and I just cannot imagine getting that much!

@sanjoparolas, you have posted something about using canned foods or frozen foods. It is my understanding that using canned or frozen foods kind of defeats the purpose of a juice fast. If you use fresh, and some people insist organic, fruits and vegetables you are getting more of the natural nutrients than if you use something that has been processed or frozen.

Anyway, congratulations on your progress so far and keep it up! I have been very happy with my results to this point and I can see my lifestyle changing just in the short time I have been doing this!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Hi Brian! Thanks for the information about juices in the database. I also appreciate the feedback you gave me specifically. I do want to clarify that the vast majority of what I juice is fresh, local, organic produce because I belong to a CSA and this past week was the first time I wiped out my produce drawer. I did try frozen fruit because I had some on hand but probably won't do that anymore because I think it is hard on the juicer. I used canned tomatoes because there is no local supply this time of year and I crave the tomatoes in my afternoon juice. I think since I enjoy it so much it keeps me coming back for more, so I will probably keep going with that. In the summers I have always been overrun with tomatoes though, including those I grow myself so the juicer will see plenty of the fresh stuff once it is available. I agree that the benefits of juicing are so great that incorporating it into my lifestyle for good is the way to go! Congratulations on your results and thanks again!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Calories for the day so far (and I think I'm done now) are 913, and that included left over Valentines vegan pizza and candy . . .
  • eonlexx
    Options
    I started this fast the last week in Jan. I was 310lbs. It is now Feb 16 and I am 295lbs. I so agree with you about the amount of food I was in-taking and what I am doing now. I plan to make this a change in my life once I obtain my ideal weight. Perhaps juicing for two meals a day. Like you what is surprising to me is the lack of hunger and cravings! Now I am a foodie and what I do miss is the social aspect of eating a meal. When I first started the lbs fell off at 3lbs a day. Now this has leveled out to 1lbs a day. I have started to walk a mile every day to help keep my metabolic rate up. I am afraid like you I am way under the calorie intake and I might be going into starvation mode. But I don't crave to eat more nor am I hungry!
  • seal57
    Options
    @Brian....I juice the whole fruit/veg.........

@sanjoparolas......do you juice ahead?......Once I find something to store the juice in for at least a day ahead, I will be adding more juice to my diet.....It's the need to wash the juicer right away that stops me from doing it now.....Not good for mornings I get up early......I'm thinking of just doing 2 juices a day....My job makes it impossible for me to take juice with me.....
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that some of the nutrients can be lost if preparing the juice ahead of time. The typical recommendation for a masticating juicer is 24 hours, so it would be safe to assume less than that for a centrifugal juicer. You also want to store your juice in an appropriate sized container to minimize air contact. Plenty of people use mason jars which travel well, and the wide mouth jars are easy to clean. Hope that helps!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Hi seal57. I haven't made any juices that I didn't consume in their entirety immediately. What I have done is purchased some juice when I am out and about. I know this is not the preferred method for juice fasting. I am no longer on a total fast anyway, I am just getting most of my nutrients from juice and have also eaten. The juices I have purchased are green smoothies like Naked and Bolthouse. I have also enjoyed the apples and greens smoothie from Jamba Juice. I do make my morning and evening juice each day.

Hi eonlexx. Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you are doing great! I agree that not only am I not hungry, I also don't not have cravings which is different than hunger and a real relief to avoid. I love your profile photo of the fresh ingredients and the resulting juice.

Hi fjrandol. Great suggestion about using a wide mouth mason jar for traveling with juice!

Best to all who are seeking health through juicing!
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Okay, I just got back from Disneyland for a week with my family, and no, I did not bring my juicer! I wish I did though because I think it would have worked out pretty well, but I decided to just have fun with my family and eat where / when / what they were eating. I did eat as much fresh vegetables and fruits as I could get my hands on. I saw another mom feeding her family those little clementine oranges while waiting in line so I jumped on that bandwagon and it worked great but we only did that on the last day. Tomorrow it is back to juicing! I haven't weighed myself and probably won't for a few days but again I am doing this as much for health as for weight loss.
  • sanjoparolas
    Options
    Still not totally back on track since our vacation, but happy to be back home with the juicer. I have had a lot of food the last few days and I really prefer how I feel getting most of my nutrients from juice. I started the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD so that may have upped my appetite. Still, I expect to keep drinking freshly juices produce for the long run.